Author Topic: Sludge/Combat Hornet Integrator - Released  (Read 252039 times)

Johan

Re: Sludge/Combat Hornet Integrator - Released
« Reply #285 on: July 26, 2011, 04:50:59 am »
Hi Sludge,

Just installed the new version. No problem with the bucking anymore, smoother landings. The wind noise effect when vapor appears is just fine. It adds a little more reality I am sure. The IFLOS has been displaced a bit, so better vision of the main HUD during approaches. Those little tweaks improve the plane at every single release. Thank you so much. Please let us know when the BA textures are released.

Johan

Orion

« Reply #286 on: July 26, 2011, 07:47:22 am »
Thanks for uploading the videos, Vern.  Sounds like you guys were having fun. ;D

However, I really want to turn the "THANK YOU" back to Sludge, Neutrino, Dino, Javier, Orion, and all the others who have helped mod FSX, . . . for making our flight sim hobby (/addiction) so AMAZING.  You guys TOTALLY ROCK!!!  Seriously, you have made FSX absolutely amazing, by finding creative solutions around the limitations of FSX, to make the single player AND multiplayer experience a billion times more enjoyable.  And you've done it for free.  That's incredible.  Absolutely fantastic.  I can't thank you guys enough!
And thank you, for enjoying the mission.  Always a nice feeling to know I've helped make something better. :D

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #287 on: July 26, 2011, 10:57:23 am »
JIMI...

Again, thanks for that answer. Pretty much wraps up all I need to know about pattern work and final approach, now I just have to get out there and do it.

Johan...

Good, thats what I was hoping for, as I know you were one of the flyers that had some problems with the "bucking". Gotta thank JIMI for the vapor "wind" noise. It was his idea, I just mixed in a newer "wind" sound w/his, turned down the default volume (it was too loud) and added it to the G-Vapor effect. As far as the Blues paints, let me talk to Micro and get the "go ahead" and I'll package them as a separate release where you can just download them and do a cut/paste install into both Sludge Hornets. IF you have v1.2 CHARLIE and the UPDATE.ZIP installed, then you'll be ready to install once I (or Micro) gets it out there. They look really sharp, you guys will love em!! Far superior to what's out there now... Typical Micro quality!!

Wily...

Glad you like the AUTO Elevator settings on cat-shots. I think the gear is good for now, I havent heard of people "bucking" that much and for me, its gone away for the most part except when landing with a few, over-exaggerated (145+ knots landing speed) factors. However, considering that I've seen the 'Bug do the same thing in Y/T videos, its not a default or Sludge problem alone.

Letourn...

Will I ever stop? Reference my earlier post. Its probly an OCD problem with me, so I dont think I ever will. Glad you like the new girl though, she's alot of fun to fly in every regime. Yes, I removed the "brake trick" as that was causing alot of problems for people, and most dont use toe brakes, so I wiped it out. If you really want, I can make a special BASE.XML (controller .XML) that includes the "brake trick" on cat-shots. Is that what youre looking for?

Later
Sludge

Letourn

« Reply #288 on: July 26, 2011, 03:13:26 pm »
Sludge,

Thanks for the offer but i dont need a special file only for me.

wilycoyote4

« Reply #289 on: July 26, 2011, 11:47:52 pm »
The wind sound when vapors occur is ok.  I don't recall any other aircraft in FSX having it or am I wrong?

heyvern69

« Reply #290 on: July 27, 2011, 07:04:17 pm »
Vern...

Glad you posted those on Y/T. No big deal about Sludge Hornet footage. Im actually taking a liking to this new T-45, and have started flying that more. Although the other night, I couldnt land it to save my life... kept coming in at high RoD and busting the gear. Being drunk probly didnt help much?

Sludge,

Funny you mention being drunk . . . I seem to fly better after I've had a few drinks.  What does THAT say about my flying skills???

The "bucking" is definately gone.  I didn't have a big problem with it, but I did notice it at times.  Now, I don't.

As for the wind vapor noise, I love the idea, but I haven't heard the noise yet . . . because I currently have the game volume set too low, in favor of voice comms during multiplayer.  I'll crank up the volume and listen for it.

I love the auto Elevator set during cat shot!  Works awesome.

I drop my tail hook on the downwind leg, when I am abeam the ship, and I got tired of the IFOLS & Trap gauge automatically popping up every time I dropped the tail hook, long before I was ready for the IFOLS lights.  But I learned that if I re-name the "TrapDisplay.xml" file, it no longer pops up automatically when I drop the tail hook.  And if I want the automatic IFOLS & trap gauge back, I will re-name the file back to it's original name.  (Sorry Sludge, it's a great idea for most people, but I like to manually control some things).

I use a 1920 X 1080 resolution on a 40 inch TV/computer monitor, so I figured out that in the panel.cfg file on [window05], these settings work best for ME, for creating a big visible IFOLS that is off to the left side of the screen while using Track IR in the virtual cockpit:

//--------------------------------------------------------
[Window05]
size_mm      = 1400, 500         // smaller size w/ bigger LCDs (1920x1200) = 300, 100
posi                                                                                  tion   = 3            // 1 = upper center, 4 = center, 3 = left center
window_size     = 1.000, 1.000 // 0.156,0.083 // window_size= 0.2, 0.204 deflt; 0.156, 0.083 for 300,100 at 1920x1080
                               // window_size= 0.1875, 0.143 for 1024x768; 0.2, 0.204 for 1920x1080
                               // window_size= 0.2, 0.183 for 384, 220 at 1920x1200
window_pos   = 0.150, 0.400  // 0.422, 0.85   
background_color= 0,0,0
visible      = 0
ident      = 10050

gauge00=IFLOLS!IFLOLS.xml, 0, 0, 300, 100 // smaller size, bigger LCDs (1920x1200) = 0, 0, 300, 100
gauge01=Carrier_Landing_Gauge!Carrier_Landing_Gauge.xml, 0.150, 0.400, 1200, 300

//--------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand much (if any) of this config stuff, I just changed numbers one-by-one & kept testing until I found setting that worked for my 1920 X 1080 resolution!

Through trial and error, I also copied and pasted some panel config data (and files) over to the T-45 to get the trap gauge working in Dino's T-45C as well.  Now I can finally tell what wire I caught.  It would be nice if the Trap gauge was automatically built into his T-45C.

Thanks for the awesome work Sludge.  I'm looking forward the next multiplayer flying session, and the extra paint schemes!

Also, is there one complete install package yet, or do I just need to get the guys to install the base package and teach them how to use the manual update?  Like I mentioned before, a few of my friends are getting a little older (in their 80s) and simply walking them through a few manual file changes can take an hour or two on the phone!

-V.

heyvern69

« Reply #291 on: July 27, 2011, 07:13:31 pm »
Orion,

Glad you like the Y/T video.  Yes, we do have fun.

I have 2 Questions:

1) Do you think you could create a multiplayer carrier mission around Hawaii?  Megascenery is stunningly beautiful there and the island is very small, has amazing water, and is very frame rate friendly.  The only problem I see with a multiplayer carrier track around Hawaii is that there are heavy up-drafts and down drafts in certain areas, such as around the Dillingham glider port.

2) Is it possible for users to change the time of your multiplayer carrier missions, or the weather in those missions?  Sometimes (in multiplayer) we would like to do the same San Francisco or San Diego NATOPS mission in the middle of the night, or in bad (rainy) weather.  I know that all the guys need to have the same mission files for multiplayer to work right, but I know nothing about making missions or modifying missions.  So are changing the time and weather easy or difficult?

Thanks.

-Vern.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #292 on: July 27, 2011, 10:14:17 pm »
Vern...

I'm working on releasing the AUTO INSTALL version as soon as I got feedback from everyone. So far sounds like all the major issues have been dealt with, so Ill get to updating the SHCHI.EXE this week and get it out to everyone, so we are all operating with the same Sludge Hornet.

Then Ill talk with JJ about releasing the Blues paints as a ZIP package that you can copy/paste into the current Sludges and will work seamlessly with the AIRCRAFT.CFG and you'll get all the new paints.

Also, feel free to mod to your hearts content. Its good to experiment and fix things up the way you want them. Once you get into the "thick of things" gauge-wise or .CFG file-wise, you see thats its really not that hard to mod, and Im always happy to help others "trick" their Hornets out to their own particular tastes.

Later
Sludge

lastflight

« Reply #293 on: July 27, 2011, 10:26:20 pm »

Orion

« Reply #294 on: July 27, 2011, 11:26:52 pm »
1) Do you think you could create a multiplayer carrier mission around Hawaii?  Megascenery is stunningly beautiful there and the island is very small, has amazing water, and is very frame rate friendly.  The only problem I see with a multiplayer carrier track around Hawaii is that there are heavy up-drafts and down drafts in certain areas, such as around the Dillingham glider port.

2) Is it possible for users to change the time of your multiplayer carrier missions, or the weather in those missions?  Sometimes (in multiplayer) we would like to do the same San Francisco or San Diego NATOPS mission in the middle of the night, or in bad (rainy) weather.  I know that all the guys need to have the same mission files for multiplayer to work right, but I know nothing about making missions or modifying missions.  So are changing the time and weather easy or difficult?
1. Of course I could, but the question is whether I'll get around to doing it. ;D
2. In theory, yes, but I HIGHLY recommend against doing so.  The multiplayer mission system is very finicky...

heyvern69

« Reply #295 on: July 28, 2011, 10:13:33 am »
Sludge,

Thanks for the info on the full install.

As for the wind vapor noise, I LIKE IT . . . but . . . (I feel REALLY guilty asking this now that we know you are a little bit OCD mixed together with a healthy dose of "perfectionist") . . . is there a way to get the wind vapor noise to fade in, from low to high volume???  The sound is great, but it comes on kinda strong.  I'm not sure if a "fade-in" effect can be done, since the sound file probably loops, and a fade effect would cause big problems for the "loop".
---------------

Orion,

Thx for the answers.  Like the Public Service Annoucements say, "And now you know".        ;D

-V

wilycoyote4

« Reply #296 on: July 28, 2011, 04:53:13 pm »
Is it me ??

I'm still getting excessive wing roll on approaching the carrier.  Roll is quick and much greater than expected.

Is it me?

Everything else seems very good.

GOONIE

« Reply #297 on: July 28, 2011, 05:47:11 pm »
Wilycoyote,
I have not had any roll issues. Acutally this version of the Sludge Hornet is the most stable I've flown, I really like how it handles around the boat. Can't wait for Serge's vLSO and maybe some future multiplayer sessions.

What I wanted to let you know, is I use different alieron effectiveness and roll stability values in the aircraft.cfg when compared to values provided in the Sludge aircraft.cfg. Everything else I don't touch in the file. I am at work now, so I can't look up the exact values, but you could try changing these to see if it helps with your rolling issue, and I can post the values I use if you want to try them. Just an idea.

-Capt
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

wilycoyote4

« Reply #298 on: July 28, 2011, 05:53:36 pm »
Thanks, that sounds interesting.  Perhaps you can post your values in the near future?

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #299 on: July 28, 2011, 09:13:50 pm »
Wily...

Its real easy, just open the AIRCRAFT.CFG and under [flight tuning], change the Aileron_Effectiveness_Scalar to a lower value OR the Roll_Stability to a higher value.

This is how I mod and flight test. Get in a flight with the Sludge. Pause. Put FSX in windowed mode. Bring up the Sludge AIRCRAFT.CFG file in question. Change the values, say make Aileron_Effectiveness_Scalar 0.2 LESS OR the Roll_Stability 0.2 HIGHER than the default Sludge value. Click back on FSX, RE-LOAD the aircraft (you can setup a keyboard command for this), and fly around. Keep tweaking the value til you get something satisfactory to you. "Wash, rinse, repeat" as the saying goes. This process has sometimes kept me up til 5am trying to fix problems but it works.

BTW, make sure your joystick response sliders in FSX are at MAX (full right) and the NULL ZONES are MINIMUM (full left or just a bit close to full left). I dont know if you do already but at the start of every flight and/or RE-load, "wipe out" the controls, just to make sure FSX is getting full and correct readings from all your controls. Try flying with two fingers/thumb and not your whole hand, as it may be a combination of things (Sludge too roll-heavy, heavy-handedness, FSX joystick responsiveness) that might be causing the excessive wing roll?

Along with Serge's vLSO ALPHA release, Ill look into this when I get home.

Later
Sludge