Author Topic: webcam for freetrack  (Read 5956 times)

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
webcam for freetrack
« on: January 27, 2011, 02:00:58 pm »
hey people, i have two webcams, a logitech quickcam for notebooks, and a microsoft lifecam.

with the microsoft i cant set the color properly for using with freetrack, my image becomes gray/black instead of red/black, and i have only one option of color.

with the quickcam, i have rgb24, and the other one, wich i dont remember the name, but the proper for using with freetrack, but with that camera, i have low fps. yes, i disabled auto exposure and everything, but its an old cam, so fps is still low, and my system is a i7 930 with 6gb of ram ddr3, so it shouldnt be low at all.

so im thinking of buying a new webcam... wich one you suggest? ill buy it just for freetrack, i made a 3 point clip wiht red bright leds and its working, except for the low fps. sometimes freetrack loses one point, and takes one or two second to find back, but i believe thats because of low fps.

i wanted a cheap webcam, but i wanted to get at least 40fps, i currently get 5~10 and it isnt a good gaming experience.

what do you suggest?
thanks in advance

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
Re: webcam for freetrack
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 11:56:49 pm »
great, i tried to remove the IR filter of my microsoft lifecam, and ruined it. thanks freetrack for your brilliant suggestions

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 04:34:38 am »
fael097,
Yes, people usually remove IR filter and replace it with small piece of film (taken from a floppy, for example). Indeed after that the camera is no more useful to anything but FreeTrack...
That's why I bought Genius i321R webcam with 4 embedded IR LEDs and made a 3 point cap-attached frame with 3 small pieces of reflective tape. Well, now I have rock-steady 30 FPS and zero jitter. This set works equally well both in a dark and sunlit room, and my camera still can be used as a usual webcam... Here are some pictures and screenshots of my setup.

Oh... I shoud have posted this earlier, mate...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 04:57:48 am by fsxnavypilot »
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 11:21:05 am »
i was testing my microsoft lifecam, and i got 30fps, and 0 jitter, but it wouldnt lock the points. i guess i just had to configure some more, but then i tried to remove the ir filter, and ruined it, guess i moved something else, cuz now my camera is green / pink, and in freetrack, the overbright areas are black lol, so it will never find the points.

i'll buy a ps3 eye cam probably...
shit sucks, didnt know it would be that hard to make it work