Author Topic: Sludge Hornet Modification v1.2 RELEASED  (Read 44331 times)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: Sludge Hornet Modification v1.2 RELEASED
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2010, 07:47:30 am »
Fellas...

Here are some pics to enjoy.  Raz pulled his "I can just use an installer" line on me, I succumbed, so I gave him the CAPT SIM Delta Hornet/Sludge Mod files, and we should have a good-to-go installer by tomorrow.  Hopefully, without an extra 10mb texture folder??!!

Enjoy the screenies...

Later
Sludge

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2010, 06:06:36 pm »
Fellas...

I was doing some flight testing (haha, surprise, right?!) last night and did a minor change to the smoke.  This will work end up working well for the CAPT SIM Delta Hornet as its A/Bs are alot more pronounced coming out the back end.  But, keep in mind, FOR THE SLUDGE FX this is my personal testing choice, you DO NOT HAVE TO DO THIS, if you like the exhaust smoke coming out where it is...

If you have made changes to your AIRCRAFT.CFG in the Sludge FX, and feel comfortable modding it, change the smoke values from:

[SMOKESYSTEM]
smoke.1=-17.35,-0.53,-2.32, fx_AOA_green
smoke.2=-17.35,-0.53,-2.45, fx_AOA_amber
smoke.3=-17.35,-0.53,-2.58, fx_AOA_red
smoke.4=-50.50, 2.00,    0, fx_F18_EG_Smoke
smoke.5=-50.50,-2.00,    0, fx_F18_EG_Smoke
smoke.6=-50.50, 2.00,    0, fx_F18_EG_Smoke_DARK
smoke.7=-50.50,-2.00,    0, fx_F18_EG_Smoke_DARK
smoke.8=-16.50, 0.00, 1.55, fx_F18_MedG_LEXVapor
smoke.9=-40.50, 0.00, 0.20, fx_F18_WingTipVapor

to this....

[SMOKESYSTEM]
smoke.1=-17.35,-0.53,-2.32, fx_AOA_green
smoke.2=-17.35,-0.53,-2.45, fx_AOA_amber
smoke.3=-17.35,-0.53,-2.58, fx_AOA_red
smoke.4=-65.50, 2.00,    0, fx_F18_EG_Smoke
smoke.5=-65.50,-2.00,    0, fx_F18_EG_Smoke
smoke.6=-65.50, 2.00,    0, fx_F18_EG_Smoke_DARK
smoke.7=-65.50,-2.00,    0, fx_F18_EG_Smoke_DARK
smoke.8=-16.50, 0.00, 1.55, fx_F18_MedG_LEXVapor
smoke.9=-40.50, 0.00, 0.20, fx_F18_WingTipVapor

If you're not comfortable doing this and you haven't made any changes from the default Sludge v1.2 install, here's the AIRCRAFT.CFG file you can simply copy/paste into the main FSX\SIMOBJECTS\AIRPLANES\SLUDGEFA18_FX folder.  When asked to overwrite, click Yes.

Sorry about this oversight, but once you see the difference, I think you'll like it.  And yes this will be part of the CAPT SIM Delta Hornet/Sludge Mod, as Raz' integration installer is still on the way.  Possibly by Friday.  Not as easy as it initially sounded because I had to make sure I wasn't giving anybody the CAPT SIM files and I had to test for aesthetics as well make the landing gear more stable on taxi, as a loaded Delta Hornet wants to tip over, even at low taxi speeds.

Later
Sludge

wilycoyote4

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2010, 12:04:08 am »
correct me if wrong but I think the old cfg can be renamed to cfgbak or some such to prevent its loss and handy for comparison or transfrring paints to a newer cfg.

I have the D so I'm looking forward to the D release.

Now trying the full HUD view and night landings.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2010, 01:51:10 am »
Wily...

Yes, thats correct.  You can rename your old AIRCRAFT.CFG to AIRCRAFT.CFG.BAK, then copy/paste this new one to check out the differences.  If you dont like simply delete the new AIRCRAFT.CFG, and then rename your old one back to AIRCRAFT.CFG, and boom, youre back where you started.

Later
Sludge

frankwi

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2010, 03:04:30 am »
"...as well make the landing gear more stable on taxi, as a loaded Delta Hornet wants to tip over, even at low taxi speeds."

That's for sure. And bounce around alot, even on good landings.

I have been enjoying your mods and the "Sludge" is about all I fly anymore. You and the team have made this a great plane.

But I sure like the eye candy of the CS -D . But now I don't waste my time with it because I'm so spoiled  on the "Sludge".

Lo and behold ........ now we're getting the best of both worlds ! I sincerely appreciate the work you guys have done for us. I'm glad I stumbled onto this board a few months ago. I was looking for a manual for the Hornet back then.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 04:08:45 am by frankwi »

wilycoyote4

« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2010, 04:20:39 am »
Wow, I'm going .............   
Tooooooo much fun.  Relearning and it is great.  Great paints.

IRONDAN

« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2010, 12:43:51 pm »
So much fun, especialy doing dogfights!

wilycoyote4

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2010, 11:05:54 pm »
Sludge---
Yes, the new smoke is better.  Thanks for posting.

Dave Torkington

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2010, 09:23:08 am »
Sludge, fantastic upgrade  - loving the new flight dynamics, effects and panel improvements.

One small issue here, the datum lights on the IFLOLS don't flash when I'm 'off centreline' approaching a carrier / ILS. Has anyone else had this problem? The meatball, wave off lights etc all work just perfect.

Thanks  ;)

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2010, 10:14:42 am »
Dave, Perhaps you are referring to LRLS? [Info about IFLOLS main feature of article]

"Roger Ball" high tech style - Wings of Gold Feature
Wings of Gold, Summer 2002 by Holland, Art

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3834/is_200207/ai_n9086662/?tag=content;col1

"Another new landing aid for the pilot is the Long Range Lineup System (LRLS). It is mounted just below the flight deck on the aft end of the ship. The main unit contains an optical head containing 10 Lasers (4 Red, 1 Yellow, 5 green), masks, and filters which form 7 corridors indicating position of aircraft relative to flight deck centerline. A base houses the power supply and the pitch/ roll stabilization system.

LRLS provides line-up information to the pilot from six nm to about .65 nm astern the ship. LRLS complements IFLOLS by providing visual cues to the pilot that facilitate the early interception of centerline at night. When on centerline the pilot sees a yellow light. When deviations occur, the pilot will see either a steady green light, if right of centerline, or a steady red light when the aircraft is lined up to the left. As deviation increases to the left or right, the corresponding light begins to flash. The more rapidly the lights flash, the further the pilot is away from an optimum flight path. LRLS augments the existing Automatic Carrier landing System (ACLS), Instrument Landing System (ILS) and Visual Landing Aids (VLA) by allowing a more seamless transition from instruments to visual cues for landing. Because it provides a more accurate means of evaluating position left or right of centerline, LRLS ensures lineup remains a prominent part of the pilot's visual scan. By reducing the requirement for closein line-up corrections, as well as minimizing radio transmissions between the pilot and the LSOs, LRLS is effective in decreasing pilot workload and increasing confidence."
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:16:35 am by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Dave Torkington

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2010, 03:32:09 pm »
Dave, Perhaps you are referring to LRLS?

You got it SpazSinbad, I've got all the LRLS greens lit constantly, whether I'm way off centreline or not.

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2010, 04:19:52 pm »
Dave, I think you have a misunderstanding about the IFLOLS you see as shown in your screengrab. It is showing the IFLOLS on the ship with the green datum lights as a gauge in the FSX Hornet cockpit (an added function of the SLUDGE modified Hornet). These IFLOLS green datum lights do not vary. As described in the article online mentioned above the LRLS is a different system of lights on the back end of the carrier. Below is a diagram with precision approach aids located showing LRLS. Perhaps the LRLS function could be modelled on the 'gauge IFLOLS' in FSX but the IFLOLS does not work like that in practice. IFLOLS shows glideslope with the orange meatball in relation to the green datum lights which do not vary.

Below also is an LRLS diagram (looking down from above) from this website:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/aircraft-carrier4.htm

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 04:32:11 pm by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2010, 05:18:05 pm »
Spaz...

Thanks for all the hard leg work for the answer.  You are correct.  The IFLOLS gauge only shows what the IFLOLS does, visual glideslope feedback for the pilot.  But good info. pulls on the LRLS system

Dave...

Now maybe sometime down the line, Serge could make a "lineup" visual add-on (LRLS) that would be just below the IFLOLS gauge?  Just depends on how many people want it and if Serge wants to make it.

Dan...

I have a modified UFC panel (LCD font on LEFT SIDE).  PM me if you want to install it.  It actually looks really good and I use it now on all my Hornets.

Everyone...

I may put the new UFC and IFLOLS gauge that Serge just made out on FSDT for everyone to install? Or just wait til the Sludge v1.3?  Give me some feedback, if you want the new UFC (updated panel look) and IFLOLS (better, higher res pictures) put out here with instructions.

Later
Sludge

Mickey_Techy

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2010, 05:25:11 pm »
....I have a modified UFC panel (LCD font on LEFT SIDE).  PM me if you want to install it.  It actually looks really good and I use it now on all my Hornets....

....I may put the new UFC and IFLOLS gauge that Serge just made out on FSDT for everyone to install? Or just wait til the Sludge v1.3?  Give me some feedback, if you want the new UFC (updated panel look) and IFLOLS (better, higher res pictures) put out here with instructions.

Sludge,

If this "new UFC" and "IFOLS gauge" is different from what you have provided along with v1.2, could I have it too, please.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2010, 05:40:55 pm »
From the response I'm already getting, it looks like I'll end up putting both gauges out on this thread along with a small instruction blurb.

I'll work on getting the OK from Serge, and once I do, I'll get them out to everyone.

Later
Sludge