Author Topic: FSX F/A-18 Original HUD  (Read 13684 times)

ColdKiller1850

FSX F/A-18 Original HUD
« on: July 23, 2010, 10:53:24 pm »
Hey if anybody still has their regular HUD for the F/A-18 in FSX, send the files to me because i can't stand the Realistic HUD and I forgot to backup the original files for the original HUD.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:46:24 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSX F/A-18 Original HUD
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 11:48:21 pm »
Sorry, but you just can't ask someone to send you files copyrighted by Microsoft. Not on this forum, at least....

Since you'll surely have your Acceleration CD, you can restore the original HUD, by removing the F/A-18 panel.cfg files, run the original installer for MS Acceleration, and choose to "Repair" your install.

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 10:34:34 pm »
Cold...

Why dont you like the Realistic HUD?  One of the best things made for the FSX Hornet, IMO.

Later
Sludge

Tregarth

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 01:09:25 pm »
Dear Virtuali,

I have tried to "improve" Dino Cattaneo's T-45 by putting the F-18 IFLOLS into the T-45 panel and cocked it up.  When I restarted FSX I saw a FSX Fatal Error message.

I tried to use the FSX REPAIR programme but, having inserted both disc 1 + 2 and then re-started I saw the same Fatal Error message so REPAIR didn't.  I have now un-installed and am now re-installing FSX. :( :(

I have asked various forums what REPAIR does, no one seems to know.  You are the only person who has suggested using Repair, could you please tell me what it does?  Whilst running it it seemed to be overwriting scenery and aircraft files, is this all it does?

I expect others would be grateful for your thoughts,

Thank you,

Tregarth

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 01:59:10 pm »
I tried to use the FSX REPAIR programme but, having inserted both disc 1 + 2 and then re-started I saw the same Fatal Error message so REPAIR didn't.

Since the file that was missing came with the Acceleration disc, you should have used the FSX Acceleration repair, not the FSX repair.

Note that, I'm not even sure if the Acceleration installer *has* a repair option: most of the MS products have one, but if it doesn't, you could have simply uninstalled Acceleration only, then reinstall it.

I have asked various forums what REPAIR does, no one seems to know.

That's very simple: it's a sort of installation, but it only restores files which are missing/corrupted in the destination folder so, it's not a complete install.

Tregarth

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 05:03:35 pm »

Thanks.  For info, I followed the instructions i.e. inserted disc1 followed by disc 2.  That seemed to be the end of it, I was not asked for Acceleration - I seem to think the message said Repair was complete.

Tregarth

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 10:52:12 pm »
I followed the instructions i.e. inserted disc1 followed by disc 2.  That seemed to be the end of it, I was not asked for Acceleration

Disc 1 and 2 contains only FSX standard without the Acceleration pack.

The Acceleration pack is a separate DVD with a separate installer, and if you purchased it separately it's in a different box. If, instead, you have FSX Gold Edition, then the Acceleration DVD it's the THIRD one.

Tregarth

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 11:21:14 am »
Yes, I have Acceleration and use it.

The problem is I don't have any understanding for what Repair is nor what it does and if you Google "FSX Repair" you will see I am not alone.

I have no idea about what I was trying to repair and since Disc 2 said the repair had finished it did not occur to me to use Acceleration (which I have always viewed as a series of Add-ons, not a "program" disc). 

What is strange is that having un-installed FSX, closed the machine and then re-installed it all of my network settings were undisturbed, both in FSX and in My Documents i.e. I switched on the second PC and Flight Sim Commander works as before.

FSX has always been a mystery and now removing the program, re-installing it and finding settings unchanged is incomprehensible.  I am not complaining just confused.

Tregarth

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 01:56:33 pm »
Tregarth, Don't worry - I am endlessly confused about all of MS FlightSims - from day one.  ::)  ;D Currently I have troubles with the latest SLUDGE (v1.1?) [I'm not blaming Sludge BTW] but because I'm doing other testing I guess that is no surprise. Probably I'll have to start all over again with yet another re-install of FSX (when other testing finished). Anyway for the moment things work alright for what I'm doing. Sometimes trying to problem solve is best done with a complete uninstall/reinstall IMHO. YMMV
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

crim3

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 10:06:59 am »
 ::)
is this a hidden camera prank?

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 11:01:45 am »
crim3, yep I was 'punked'. All that was needed (via advice from fsxnp) was to rename a SLUDGE panel to "Panel". DUH! [slaps forehead]  ::)

Which reminds me, as commented to fsxnp - and worth repeating here for anyone wavering over using the SLUDGE Hornet (either variety): "Wow - flying the SLUDGE basic and then going to the standard FSX Accel Hornet was as different as chalk to cheese. The SLUDGE is really, really, really a much better aircraft to fly FCLP (carrier landings). It has sufficient drag etc to keep the engine at high RPM, where it is responsive. The default Hornet is overpowered and with the flaps not being at full, to add extra drag (also provided in SLUDGE) the default has to be at idle power to be on glideslope. That is not only ridiculous - it is unsafe. A jet engine can never be at idle power in flight in any 'near ground situation' because there is a finite spool up time when sufficient power is not available."

Go the SLUDGE!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 11:03:23 am by SpazSinbad »

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 06:22:21 pm »
Spaz...

Sorry to hear about the problems with the Sludge.  Yeah, I thought I put it in the README.txt about if you want IFLOLS you have to rename the PANEL_IFLOLS to PANEL.  Or if you just want the 2D Indexer, rename that folder to PANEL.  Seriously, was that confusing or unclear during the install?  If so, just let me know, and Ill try to word it better or get someone who writes better to help edit my README.txt file.  And Im not being condescending in any matter, I really would like get feedback, good or bad... about the Sludge installation.

Glad you like it though, as the NATOPS-driven approach profile (85-88 percent RPM) was exactly why I started modding the default to begin with, along with making the flaps selection manual and able to go to the full 45 deg deflection, so the Hornet can get into the correct attitude along and be on-speed.

Tre...

Sorry about not being able to help you recover your system better.  As a matter of fact, I just NUKED my system and got everything up and running again.  I wasnt sure what your problem was, but actually, Im glad you did the repair and found out what could be done as Im not sure how the intracacies of FSX work.  Funny thing was, in my prior FSX install, when I was doing the Sludge Hornet... I needed to install the "grunge sludge" into the default as [hornet.14] otherwise the Sludge texture would look shiny and some things would be missing.  But after the NUKE and FSX/Accel re-install, all I had to do was copy/paste the Sludge Hornets and they worked just fine, without having to install the "grunge sludge" paint on the default.  Go figure?!  FSX is finicky cat, to say the least.

Anyway, Im back and running... and will be posting again.

Later
Sludge

SpazSinbad

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 12:49:47 am »
Sludge, my situation with FSX is that I do other things leaving minimal time to use it in a settled configuration. With my inbuilt resistance to read any 'readme.txt' thoroughly I'm setting myself up for problems but for testing purposes I'm like any other ordinary user of FSX I guess (who may read 'readme.txt' but not fully understand). However I acknowledge I did not thoroughly read the readme.txt for the last Sludge v1.1 making assumptions that it would be just a matter of putting the folders in the right places and getting on with things as per usual. WRONG.  ::) ;D

When the SLUDGE did not appear I had no time to go problem solve (when the last thing I would read would be the readme.txt). So I got on with the other things I do in FSX saying to myself I'll fix it later etc.....

Here is the relevant Sludge Install Text from the readme.txt which is spot on and of course I overlooked it in the large amount of text in the readme:

"# Only one of these two gauges can be installed, either the 2D HUD Indexer OR the VC IFLOLS "Meatball" in the shift-5 slot. So the user will have to choose which one to install and follow the instructions below.
------------Installation------------
- Now, depending on personal preference, go into both SludgeFA18 (Basic/FX) main folders and rename  either the Panel_2D_Indexer folder to Panel OR Panel_VC_IFLOLS folder to Panel. IE, one who  chooses to fly with the 2D HUD Indexer, would rename Panel_2D_Indexer to Panel, leaving the  Panel_VC_IFLOLS alone, as FSX only uses the Panel folder.  Conversely, one who wants the IFLOLS  (meatball) avail in VC would do the same procedure instead renaming the Panel_VC_IFLOLS to Panel."

My suggestion would be this (to be kinder to those who do not read or fully understand readme.txts) when there are two options when if none selected (in error) [when there is no working aircraft at the end of a 'simple' install]: That one option be the default install with advice in the readme.txt on how to get the other option working.

In this way the 'readme dummies' like myself will get the default Sludge going - then those same 'dummies' can go figure out how to get the other option if required.

IF this is a possibility for the future (and let me say that given proper reading effort the readme text is clear ane well presented) what should be the default panel? Hmmm here feedback from other Sludge users would be important.

My preference would be based on using the SLUDGE Hornet in the Naval Aviation environment. I'm comfortable putting the hook down at every opportunity to get the steady AoA even when doing FCLP but others may not be so comfortable. In this instance they may like to have the AoA Indexer Panel.

Otherwise my preference would be for the IFLOLS panel as default because IMHO being able to see that mirror from an impossible distance away is great (given the limitations of seeing any mirror on a relatively small computer screen etc.)

Anyway it seems there were no other 'complaints' so I gather than every other user had not troubles installing the SLUDGE, selecting a panel and getting on with it. I'll promise to read more readmes in future. ;D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 01:28:32 am by SpazSinbad »

crim3

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 07:15:46 pm »
Spaz, I said that because after reading the whole thread I was deeply atonished by tregarth's stubborn resistance to just put the Acceleration disc and run the installer. I just needed to express it somehow.

SpazSinbad

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 10:14:22 pm »
crim3, no worries. It is difficult to make jokes on an international forum - I should stop. ;D