Author Topic: Goofy startup ritual required 70% of the time: what's wrong?  (Read 789 times)

NoelCP

Goofy startup ritual required 70% of the time: what's wrong?
« on: August 20, 2024, 09:21:53 pm »
It seems like 70% of the time the GSX Menu does not open as I start a new flight, at the gate/ramp in any of the 4 planes I use.  I open Task Manager, and I see both Couatl64_boot and Couatl64_MSFS are running.  To resolve this state by trial and error learning I have to end task tree for Couatl64_boot and MSFS, wait a few seconds and restart Couatl64, whereupon both the _boot and _MSFS exe's restart.  Now wait a few seconds then go to the MSFS toolbar and click GSX.  At this point it reliable then opens.  This seems to have developed, especially this new graphic fairly recently though it's always started unreliably.  After all of this time now, what's wrong?  Is it something in my setup? 

SN737

Re: Goofy startup ritual required 70% of the time: what's wrong?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2024, 09:52:05 pm »
+1

fabristunt

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2024, 11:17:44 pm »
I get this too. Restarting coault a couple of times fixes it, but it's a new problem.

NoelCP

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2024, 05:53:48 pm »
Not long ago I posted a request for help for an issue on Avsim and Virtuali suggested I post here for help.  It's been 11 days now I still go thru this ritual to make this mature program start at least 25% of the time.  If I can do this ritual manually, which I do, I see no reason why GSX can't be coded to KNOW that the GSX menu DID NOT INITIALIZE, then do what I do which is to shut down both Couatl64_boot and Couatl64_MSFS, restart Couatl, at which point after several seconds the failed menu will shut itself off, then it will open correctly when you hit the GSX option in the MSFS toolbar a few seconds later.  Instead you get this lame instruction, pardon the paraphrase:  "GSX Menu Failed to Initialize....please wait it 'might' open".  Really?  It might?  Please, get this annoyance addressed yesterday.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2024, 11:50:43 am »
After you run an FSDT update, the first startup GSX will rebuild its own internal model cache, which can take a variable and not predictable amount of time depending how fast your system is, how big your Community folder is and how fast the disk the Community folder is and if the antivirus is slowing it down because you haven't added the Community folder to the antivirus exclusions.

Normally, it doesn't take more than 10-15 seconds to rebuild the models cache but, if it takes longer than the maximum amount of time the menu is retrying, it won't keep retrying forever, so you just need to open the menu again.

If you restart Couatl but don't wait enough for the model cache to be rebuild, so you restart it again, you are forcing rebuilding it again, and again, because each time you restart it after an update, it will restart the rebuild process from scratch until is completed, so if you keep restarting it will never complete.

This means, after an update, you just have to wait more before trying a restart.

NoelCP

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2024, 03:29:14 pm »
Normally, it doesn't take more than 10-15 seconds to rebuild the models cache but, if it takes longer than the maximum amount of time the menu is retrying, it won't keep retrying forever, so you just need to open the menu again.

Once again I can undo this ritual by killing the process tree and restarting Couatl at which point it always opens up the menu properly in a matter of a couple of seconds.  Why is it that killing the process tree (the boot and the exe), and restarting Couatl starts the menu virtually immediately?

Thanks, what is the MAXIMUM TIME it will keep trying please? 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2024, 11:44:49 am »
Thanks, what is the MAXIMUM TIME it will keep trying please?

I think it's 30 seconds, which is normally more than enough to rebuild the model cache but, of course, every system might be different.