Author Topic: Mis-aligned parking positions  (Read 214 times)

rfkicker2000

Mis-aligned parking positions
« on: May 21, 2024, 04:52:09 am »
I regularly experience mis-aligned parking positions when positioning or re-positioning my aircraft at an airport in MSFS 2020 using GSX Pro. Here's a screenshot from KBNA, gate 22.

I know the jetways are not affected by GSX Pro (except for their look) but why is the GSX database so badly out of sync with the parking spots and markings? I am using "Airport Ground Enhancement Pack" from 4Simmers in the MS Marketplace, though I don't think this impacts the parking position data in any way.

For reference, I am running MSFS 2020 Deluxe Edition.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
Re: Mis-aligned parking positions
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2024, 04:23:54 am »
  Blame Asobo and their incredibly poorly setup airports. Your aircraft is perfectly aligned to the parking spot, it's the line drawn by whoever created the airport that doesn't match the parking spot.

Here is an image from the ADE, Gate22 is the one in yellow. See how bad some of the others are? It's like that for pretty much every default and handcrafted airport in MSFS.

rfkicker2000

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2024, 05:38:51 am »
Whoa! Thanks for the reply.

To be sure I'm interpreting your image correctly, the light/dark green arrow is where the aircraft should be parked "perfectly"? If that's true, then I couldn't agree more that nothing is properly aligned around that, including the jetway placement! That's a crying shame.

How did these default/handcrafted airports get created -- by hand or some digital database? Seems unlikely Asobo would have the resources to fix something like this for all 37K+ airports. Guess that's why Real Taxiways was created by Black Square?

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2024, 06:41:07 am »
  The dark green arrows just represent the parking spots that were created (mimicking the positions of the real life gates). You would think that they would at least be correctly aligned with how they are in the real world, but MANY are not even close often 90-180 degrees off. The yellow lines near the parking spots are lead-in lines, but they too are often not anywhere near where they are supposed to be to coincide with their associated parking spots.
 Also take note of the jetways, it's very common with the default Asobo airports to see them crossing through the parking spot entirely. They should always be positioned around the 10 to 11 o'clock area of the parking spot to align with the first or second door on the left side of the aircraft.

rfkicker2000

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2024, 02:05:06 pm »
Yup. Excellent explanation. Thank you!

I imagine trying to correct these deficiencies by hand is simply too tedious for the average user.

Any chance MSFS 2024 will correct this?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2024, 02:08:59 pm »
There's no way Microsoft will ever have the resources to fix 30k airports, the WorldHub project is supposed to do that, you'll see the first releases of community-fixed airports with SU15.