Author Topic: Microsoft GAVE US PERMISSION!!!  (Read 71941 times)

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
Re: Microsoft GAVE US PERMISSION!!!
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2010, 12:33:24 am »
sun444, good video. It would be interesting for those posting videos to give details about how they were made (FRAPS?) and some computer specs also. I have edited the post about carrier landings to reflect the generic advice. Bear with me. Over the last year or so I have seen some very bad FSX carrier landing vids purporting to be 'good' when clearly they were not but so be it. I don't bother commenting on the youtube sites about the youtube videos. My advice was generic only. Also I might stress the crosswind limit is seven knots in real world Hornet ops (for those thinking of doing crosswind carrier landings to help them with the lineup problem on final approach).

I guess this may sound odd if you don't use the visual technique from 'the start'. However if you concentrate on 'Meatball, Line up and Optimum Angle of Attack' it really is that simple. All the required actions to stay on these parameters are transparent. You will 'just do it' - to the best of your ability - without worrying about what any other instruments (FPM, needles) are saying - they should be ignored for just the basics. The basics work.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2010, 03:10:53 am »
Sun...

I dont doubt your stick skills at all.  I only question your technique for getting aboard.  And yes, the Sludge takes some getting used to... as opposed to the SuperBug (lighter on approach), or the default Hornet (super over-powered and light, can float in on idle).  In the last video, at 3:45, you are flying a "low ball" approach (meatball is at least "one ball" low), as when you line-up and switch to the SuperBug's VC, your ICLS shows you low and I cant tell from your HUD data (hard to read) but it seems at 3/4 of a mile, your ICLS shows you low (the glidepath needle is on the top of your velocity vector, rather it should be bisecting it).  As a matter of fact, at 3:54, right before the camera cuts to the outside view, I think the meatball gives you one "red ball" indicating a low approach, almost waveoff.

Bout 6 months back, I did a comparison of youtube F-18 HUD landings and also FSX landings using the new HUD and there is a happy medium, but basically you have to be a tad higher than real life, flying a slightly sharper glidepath down cause of all FSX carriers (default/AI/Javier) and JR's HUD, 4.0 glideslope.  You can use ICLS to get setup and confirm you are on the path when you roll out, but once at "the start", you need to ONLY be meatball, lineup, AoA.

Watch this youtube video, from 1:42 to 1:49, at 1:46... there is a perfect picture of a "waterline" ("W" symbol) at 5 deg up and the velocity vector at 3 deg down approach, and an on-glideslope center meatball.  Plus, as Spaz said, you cant fly the needles, from ball visual in... this pilot flies a really solid approach and look how far the needles are off, in-close.  ICLS needles are there for bad weather and night to get you to the Ball, and then transfer to meatball, lineup, AoA.

No worries... get some rest and yes, its gonna take some time to get this, just like those things we want done for the FSX Hornet.  I have alot of patience, so no big deal.  Itll happen whenever it happens.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 03:13:32 am by Sludge »

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2010, 04:24:15 am »
sludge, good reply - I'll check the video later [great video]. Just wanted to add that the new JPALS (Joint Precision Approach Landing System) will have inch accuracy for more precise 'automatic carrier landings' when needed (very poor weather or a cockpit emergency - such as smoke/fog - that does not allow the instruments or outside view to be seen clearly - it happens) will be another level of achievement to model. ;D

I have no idea but worth a heads up. JPALS info can be gleaned from a PDF online at:

http://acast.grc.nasa.gov/wp-content/uploads/icns/2002/09/Session_D2-4_Wallace.pdf  (about 6Mb?)

However AFAIK carrier pilots prefer to do 'visual' landings at 'the start' [at 3/4 NM] or perhaps at least at a later spot to keep their carrier landings skills going rather than do a completely automatic approach. Apparently they are encouraged to practice these 'auto' landings more to retain skills for this when needed. The transition from instrument flying to visual at 1/4 nautical mile at 200 feet (or for newbies 1/2 NM at 400 ft) is quite a challenge so acquiring the ball as early as possible during any kind of instrument approach (even in daytime) is very useful.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 04:58:13 am by SpazSinbad »

sun444

« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2010, 01:19:35 pm »
Pretty good video, Sludge.

Tha meatball could be my basic problem because I'm used to go by the ILS glideslope only. From now on I'll go by your and Spaz's instructions. Let's see how I'm gonna improve with the Sludge Hornet (it is really much more difficult to do a proper approach than with the standard F/A-18).

By the way, can't these posts be moved to the video project thread?

CU
sun

Afterburn93

• "I've got this thing floored!"
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2010, 02:24:25 pm »
Sun,

I know what you mean. As soon as you transfer over to the Sludge and get used to it, it is hard to go back. It is like you and Sludge say with the different flight dynamics.

A/B
Benjamin "Afterburn" Rothstein (A/B, Candlewacs)

"Is that an Uzi in your handbag... or are you just pleased to see me?"

sun444

« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2010, 02:37:43 pm »
Yeah, but that's not bad. I like the sludge Hornet and I like the standard F/A-18. And I also don't need weapons and firing them, I'm into flying.

About difficulties to go back on a different aircraft, I do fly a lot X-PLANE helicopter lately and it can't be more different. Compared to X-PLANE chopper landing on a carrier is a walk in the park.

What I do, at least once every session, no matter if X-PLANE or something else, I make at least one carrier landing with Hornet/Superhornet. This way I don't loose the feeling for fighter jets.

Back to the video, Spaz was asking about specs.

Components:

EZdok, FSrecorder, Fraps, VirtualDub 64, Magix, orig. resolution 1680x1050

Computer specs:

Proc:  i7-920
RAM:  12 GB
Graf:  GTX 285  1GB

CU
sun

SpazSinbad

« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2010, 02:50:55 pm »
sun444, thanks for the computer setup info. I'm guessing FRAPS is OK? in Win7pro 64bit? I have just got that but have not got around to trying FRAPS so far. As an aside I have just had my main 1TB Seagate drive go bad so I may be away from this forum for a bit getting that sorted. Yeah the Seagate tool said my drive did not need firmware fixing (over one year ago when this problem was prevalent) but maybe it did after all. Bah Humbug.   >:(

sun444

« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2010, 03:22:27 pm »
sun444, thanks for the computer setup info. I'm guessing FRAPS is OK? in Win7pro 64bit? I have just got that but have not got around to trying FRAPS so far. As an aside I have just had my main 1TB Seagate drive go bad so I may be away from this forum for a bit getting that sorted. Yeah the Seagate tool said my drive did not need firmware fixing (over one year ago when this problem was prevalent) but maybe it did after all. Bah Humbug.   >:(

FRAPS is okay if you use it on recorded data (like replay with FSrecorder and taping it with FRAPS). In this case FSX doesn't have to do much calculations since the data are coming from a file.
FRAPS does cut on the framerate quite a bit if You tape it while you're flying but You'll see it by yourself.

Hope you're not away for a long time,

CU
sun

cl0ud

« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2010, 06:50:44 pm »
Sludge, Spaz,

I know You doubt my skills of carrier landing. Just in case, I master perfect landings, please check my vid

Holy overweight trapping! If you shed some of those 2000 pounders and 800 pound missiles, you won't destroy the gear on trapping. Just a thought after seeing the main and front gear dig a trench into the deck. :)

-cl0ud

sun444

« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2010, 07:20:46 pm »

Holy overweight trapping! If you shed some of those 2000 pounders and 800 pound missiles, you won't destroy the gear on trapping. Just a thought after seeing the main and front gear dig a trench into the deck. :)

-cl0ud

Sorry, You don't know! Maybe You should ask before You post.

The weight was just below the max for carrier landing, this way it's much more difficult to land.

sun

Razgriz

« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2010, 07:35:50 pm »
Sludge, Spaz,

I know You doubt my skills of carrier landing. Just in case, I master perfect landings, please check my vid

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but that isn't anywhere near mastery.  You haven't seemed nice about what others thought in these posts, so I won't be either.  You're low in, and you keep going lower.  You're underpowered, and I have no clue who would land with full load of ordnance, even if you dumped gas to get below 44.

If you want, me and Sludge can hop on multiplayer and show you how men land.

sun444

« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2010, 07:44:18 pm »
You're right Razgriz,

I see we don't ge along, I don't fit into your scheme.

Good Bye everyone.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 07:50:43 pm by sun444 »

SpazSinbad

« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2010, 08:41:00 pm »
sun444, no need to go. This computer has other hard drives with much lesser capacity to allow the computer to work but with little data storage capacity (for making HUGE FRAPS .AVI files before they are crunched down to reasonable size by video editing/saving in another format [.WMV]). I have not tried the FS Recorder, usually make videos from an FSX 'replay' starting FRAPS at beginning or at some point during replay. Agree that using FRAPS during an FSX session just kills the framerate.

In real world carrier pilots need a thick skin to take in the sometimes very confronting comments about their deck landing ability from the LSO (and their squadron 'mates'). For the record I don't find FSX Hornet Carrier Landing easy, especially if I don't stay in practice. It is a real skill in FSX to do well and needs practice. To start I recommend during practice carrier landings ashore to master the skill of flying 'navy style' at optimum angle of attack all the time.

Always best to land with a light load IMHO, rather than at maximum weight, but it is possible nevertheless.

neutrino

« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2010, 09:06:02 pm »
Hehe, I like a little confrontation ;D On this site it is usually very constructive. And when it comes to carrier landings, we have very objective and stringent criteria - everything must be done to the book and as close to the real world flying as possible. I sometimes even think we take carrier landings too seriously ;) But I also think everyone is open to criticism when he doesn't meet those standards. If you want to have fun - no one will bother you, but if you say "3/4 mile, Hornet, ball" - you either do it or you don't  - no points for second place  ;D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 09:09:13 pm by neutrino »

Orion

« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2010, 09:45:58 pm »
And when it comes to carrier landings, we have very objective and stringent criteria - everything must be done to the book and as close to the real world flying as possible.
I guess I won't post my pitching deck carrier ops video then :P.

Kidding!  I'll post it when it's ready ;).