Author Topic: Microsoft GAVE US PERMISSION!!!  (Read 72025 times)

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
Re: Microsoft GAVE US PERMISSION!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2010, 10:40:50 pm »
one simple question... how to decompile the f-18 model so i can edit? im a CG artist, experienced with 3ds max, but no way u can extract the models to edit :P

cl0ud

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 09:58:58 pm »
Congrats Sludge. Thats a big step to accomplish.I have always loved flying the F-18 and with all the mods that have been made and posted here it's even better . And now with this permission I gotta feeling you guys are gonna top the bug. ;D Thanks for all the fun.

If you want to 'top the bug' you should fly the VRS F/A-18E, it has all the features you guys are working to get into the Acceleration Hornet along with a top notch FADEC-controlled engine sim and FCC/MC-controlled avionics sim. Truly an amazing aircraft that made me abandon the FSX and Captain Sim Hornets entirely.

Razgriz

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 11:44:23 pm »
Oh lord, we have.

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2010, 01:18:10 am »
Cloud...

Thats what Skimmer was meaning when he said "top the BUG".  Now, we probly wont actually "top the Bug" (ie, weapons system, radar integration, 90% button functionality, full FCS) but with current projects going, we can mod the default and/or Sludge Hornet to the point of being a very fun, viable, and FREE alternative to people who dont want a VRS product thats getting more expensive by the day (ie, tac pack addon, ~$40), or those that dont have the monster machine to run it without it looking like a slide show (less than 15 FPS in city environment).

Right now, the Sludge Hornet is tweaked to the point of providing a better flight and landing profile (NATOPS-correct approach RPMs), and gets better frame rates than the VRS.  Additionally, we can get bearing/range to the tanker, and refuel from the tanker using only one mod (Refueling Gauge) and get ANY Carrier ICLS/TACAN fully operational (Rusev/Printz HUD) with only one mod as well.   So in these respects, I would put her up against the VRS any day of the week.

Later
Sludge

cl0ud

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2010, 01:48:46 am »
Sludge,

I often forget that budgets have to play into flightsim decisions, so you definitely have a point regarding cost. I also didn't mean to disparage any attempts at alternative aircraft, I just noticed that work seemed to be going in parallel directions to existing products and wanted to share my enthusiasm with other F/A-18 lovers. Now, that being said I respectfully disagree completely that any hornet without a true CAS FCS is going to behave more accurately to NATOPS while only using FSX's .air file to accomplish what VRS has done with CFD data, CFD simulations to fill in missing/nonpublic data, and *extensive* real world input from people who work with the actual aircraft. NATOPS-accurate RPMs are neat, but only a tiny part. Modeling drag, weight, and center of gravity the way VRS does provides flight dynamics that can't possibly be replicated any other way inside of FSX, and I have yet to see the SuperBug EVER behave outside of the NATOPS performance charts, and I use those charts to set carrier launch trim for my specific weight and desired catapult end speed and they work!

I also want to point out that the VRS bug has air to air TACAN, refueling, ANY carrier ICLS/TACAN (while moving) all without ANY mods. All done entirely within the external engine without having to configure anything outside the Aircraft Configuration Manager. My real point is that they aren't comparable because like you said, yours is free and it's indeed amazing and the VRS is a hardcore sim that requires hardcore hardware. I applaud you and your team's work because I used to use it and love it and I'm sure you'll continue to provide the flightsim community with an excellent freeware hornet pack that lets you hit the ground running with a military jet in a non-military sim. Happy flying, and I hope to fly online with you sometime!

-cl0ud

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2010, 08:06:56 am »
Cloud...

Yeah, no big deal.  I flew with the VRS for a while, and even tho alot of the systems were fun, especially the weapons and RWR, I found it was lacking in the landing phase... even to the point of being almost "floaty" on approach.  Plus, given that I only have a mid-level system, the slideshow simming was not fun at all, 10-15 FPS sucks.  Had to either disable all my sceneries or fly out in the middle of the ocean to get even respectable frame rates.  I have NO IDEA how some of those people who make the good Bug youtube videos get such good frame rates?!  Must have MONSTER systems?

Again, no big deal, we can all have different opinions... thats why Im back here and enjoying the newfound life of the FSX default and Sludge Hornet.  To clarify, I meant, I also read on their boards that the ICLS and TACAN arent working for the Multiplayer missions correctly (ie, Orions SFCarrier2) and thats one of my fav's.  This is a requirement for me.  That multiplayer mission lets me practice alot of carrier pattern work along with others, so thats also why I was happy to come back to the default and the Sludge.

Yeah, would like to fly anytime... just not this weekend.  Im heading down to Fort Worth to watch the PGA Tour, Colonial on Sunday.

Take care and have a great weekend
Later
Sludge

SUBS17

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2010, 08:44:50 pm »
Well actually I got TACAN to work in MP with SFCARRIER2 mission in the VRS Superhornet. ;)

My view is that its a very good idea to continue to improve the acceleration Hornet and make it better ideally it would be cool if there was the ability to carry external stores and also to drop them even better to be able to launch those weapons. Its pointless to compare the VRS Superhornet to the acceleration one as the level of complexity is quite immense in the VRS and everything is alot simpler in the acceleration hornet. In a perfect world though there would be both and they would both have full weapons and MP combat.

SUBS17

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2010, 08:47:55 pm »
Cloud...

FREE alternative to people who dont want a VRS product thats getting more expensive by the day (ie, tac pack addon, ~$40), or those Sludge

You're kidding right the TAC pack is working weapons and combat enviroment I'd gladly pay 3 times that much for combat in FSX $40 is a bargain. I deally you would want the TAC pack to have an interface to allow the accel hornet to drop bombs too. LMAO a Hornet sim without combat is like a rifle without bullets. ;D

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2010, 04:35:32 am »
Subs...

No, Im not kidding.  Maybe a bargain for you, but FSX will never be a "combat sim", and Ill never waste the money to try to make it as such.  It can EMULATE a combat environment, but will never be a combat sim.  Ill save my $40 for a real combat sim.

Im perfectly happy with the default and Sludge Hornets in FSX.  Will try to add more, but in the meantime, I dont need to waste another $40 in addition to the startup $40-50 for a product that still isnt a straight up combat simulator.

Let people have their opinions, and you can have yours.  Cool?

Later
Sludge

micro

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2010, 04:55:12 am »
Sludge,

I've been flying your mod-ed Hornet now for 3 days and LOVE it. Nice job! I'm really liking the new flight dymanics.

As to combat in FSX: Yeah it's cool, but I bought FSX for exactly what the name say; a Flight Simulator. There are plenty of combat sims out there, and to each his own, but flying itself is my passion. And you just made flying the Hornet much better. Thanks.  ;D

SUBS17

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2010, 08:48:34 pm »
Subs...

No, Im not kidding.  Maybe a bargain for you, but FSX will never be a "combat sim", and Ill never waste the money to try to make it as such.  It can EMULATE a combat environment, but will never be a combat sim.  Ill save my $40 for a real combat sim.

Im perfectly happy with the default and Sludge Hornets in FSX.  Will try to add more, but in the meantime, I dont need to waste another $40 in addition to the startup $40-50 for a product that still isnt a straight up combat simulator.

Let people have their opinions, and you can have yours.  Cool?

Later
Sludge

Actually you are quite wrong in assuming that the TAC pack is a bad thing, the more detailed a sim is the better and there is nothing wrong with having combat in FSX. The TAC pack could allow you to further modify the hornet to include working weapons. Such a mod has that potential. BTW I think what you are doing by modding the Hornet is a very good idea.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2010, 07:47:32 am »
All...
Just got back from the Colonial PGA Tourney in Ft Worth and holy cheeze and rice it was HOT!!  Im talking... go outside for a few minutes and melt HOT.  It was around 100, the humidity was high 90s, and there was no breeze at all.

Micro...
Thanks.  Coming from you, who I consider the master of all video makers right now, thats great praise.  Much thanks and will continue to work on it.  You might like some of the upcoming changes that will be released with v1.1, probly in a few weeks.  And I completely agree with your FSX philosophy.

SUBS...
I never said the TAC pack is a bad thing.  What I did say is that I (emphasis added, I) will wont spend the money for the VRS and/or the TAC pack.  Thats 90 bucks (VRS S/B and TAC pack) to spend IN ADDITION to what was already paid for for FSX and/or Acceleration?  Nope.  Not me. I'd rather buy a combat sim thats built from the ground up for air-to-air/air-to-ground combat (ie, falcon 4) than try to make FSX emulate a combat flight simulator.
As far as my modding, thanks.  I wish I had even a fraction the abilities of others, because if I did, Id have gone buck wild by now modding stuff almost to the point of a whole new Hornet.  But, alas, Im just a tweaker... highly involved and motivated tweaker.

Take Care and talk to ya later
Sludge

SUBS17

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2010, 08:31:58 am »
The VRS Superhornet is quite an awesome addon for FSX I think its practically an entirely different aircraft to any other addon for FSX. Compared to FSXs other addons its also quite cheap. I can see where you're coming from with the added costs if you also add in FSX and acceleration but both FSX and acceleration don't give you a detailed Hornet like the VRS. Its nice to have an addon which is very close the NATOPs manual in every aspect including the pirouette they did a fantastic job with the FBW and FM of this aircraft and it includes external stores not a clean bird like the accel hornet.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2010, 04:58:18 pm »
SUBS...

OK, I understand what youre saying.  But, just to let you know, this isnt a VRS sales forum.  Everyone that wants it knows where they can get it, and knows what it can do.

If you post anything more, beyond real discussions of what we can do to improve the FSX Hornet, Im sure Virtuali will drop your posts because its becoming redundant.  Discussion is good and dont mind comparing, but youre getting to the point of putting out sales pitches, IMO.

Later
Sludge

SUBS17

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2010, 11:44:08 pm »
This isn't about sales pitches, the major problem with FSX regarding combat aircraft, inflight refuelling and also weapons is lack of standardisation. Now if for example FSDT decided to do an F-14 in the future(of course they could since there are experts of this aircraft on this forum) a mod such as the TACPack could be used to make those weapons work just like all the other mods that are used on FSX such as graphics enhancements/weather etc. So its not about VRS Superhornet just firing missiles instead it could be other aircraft as well. A guy such as yourself modding the aircraft such as the Hornet could add weapons feaures with such a possibility its a pity that there are such limitations though. It would be cooler if there was a sim like FSX with more modability although there are other sims in development it may be years before we start seeing those released. An example of inflight refuelling is in Accl you refuel just by sitting behind the tanker with VRS TAc pack you would have to connect to the drogue to refuel. Such features could be further enhanced in FSX such as using the LSO script and ATC to make the Tankers talk back to the pilots etc like in Falcon.