Author Topic: Microsoft GAVE US PERMISSION!!!  (Read 72022 times)

sun444

Re: Microsoft GAVE US PERMISSION!!!
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2010, 03:11:07 am »
For Sludge

Cheer up guys

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2010, 04:08:12 am »
Cloud...

Good enough.  Actually, dont want to see you leave.  Just felt the posts were getting a bit outta hand, but maybe that was just me?!  As I said, Im happy with the default and Sludge, so Ill just leave it at that.

SUBS...

Yeah, Im cool.  Just trying to keep the board focused here.  But, I probly do need to chill a bit.  Little reality check, huh?

SUN444...

Much thanks!!  That was a good video and a good landing.  Still working on getting you some stuff to make a "tutorial" video similar to what you made before.  And I do think there will be FSX'ers, beyond the 5 percent, that would like a "serious tutorial" on a USN carrier pattern with all the explanations. 

Later
Sludge

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2010, 05:38:31 am »
Sludge,
Not to take anything away from what you may do with your more usable SLUDGE Hornet, here is a reminder about the FSX Blue Angels Carrier Landing (& FCLP) video. It does not have the excellent capability of the 'new improved HUD' etc. but at least gives a good overview of 'how different' Naval Aviation is compared to conventional aviation.

http://fsxblueangels.com/videoscreen%20ok3.html

Probably this video concentrates more on FCLP to further explain the method, whilst not really going further into carrier landings, relying on what went before. Perhaps this is where a SLUDGE video would concentrate as you have well explained in words (on other threads) how you 'carrier land in the pattern in FSX'.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2010, 05:47:28 pm »
Spaz...

Actually, thats one of the reasons I want to make the video.  It has very good demonstrations and detailed explanations but one of the missing things was how that all worked with a good HUD and what that HUD picture should look like.  In example, how the Waterline should be five degrees up and the velocity vector should be 3 deg below the horizon and a little right of the touchdown area.  Additionally, other misses were the lack of full flaps and landing over speed for a given weight, and the carrier is not moving on those landing videos.  I know its moving when they are taking off, but if I remember right, the carrier isnt moving when the actual landing occurs.  Also, explaining the real world vs. FSX compromises that have to made.  Things such as how the carrier meatball and the New HUD ICLS needles are at 4.0 glideslope, whereas the real world carrier is USUALLY at 3.5, so to get certain WoD conditions optimum, changes must be made to the natural wind direction/speed, AND carrier course/speed.  Just like that gent who asked on another thread what the carrier's course should be.

I also would like to show the people how to use the Sludge's newer features and gauges.  The video would include FSXNPs completely integrated BlackBox, along with 2D HUD Indexer and UpFrontControl Panel for ball call's fuel state.  How to set the RALT Betty for 300' AGL (which is the most common that Ive seen used).  Things like that.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 07:43:45 pm by Sludge »

sun444

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2010, 09:36:25 pm »
... and the carrier is not moving on those landing videos.  I know its moving when they are taking off, but if I remember right, the carrier isnt moving when the actual landing occurs. ...

Sludge, I remember I was talking about this in one of my PMs.

There is no way to record a moving carrier, at least I don't know any. Neither the FSX Instant Replay nor FSrecorder can do that. The only way is to record it directly to an avi file during the flight. When You start it's not a big problem to switch to an outside camera view. But during approach and landing you should be inside the cockpit. You can't land the Hornet by looking at it from the outside.

The only thing I can think of, I haven't tried it yet, to open a second window with an outside view, like spot view. I do have a 2 monitor system so it might work but I'm pretty sure the framerate will drop even if I have an i7 processor and a GTX285. As I said I have to test it first and I also have to check what window Fraps will use.

I'll let you know but it will not be before the weekend.

Cheers

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2010, 09:58:05 pm »
Sun...

Roger that 'bout the recording problems.  Will try to think of some fixes or workarounds.  Maybe something from our multiplayer days when Don was recording our sessions and seemed to get decent framerates.

No worries, have a good weekend.

Later
Sludge

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2010, 10:47:40 pm »
Sludge, Your intended video content sounds great. Personally I have no problem (for demonstration purposes) if many approaches and views from same are edited into 'one' approach for the video. In this way perhaps the 'moving carrier' problem can be overcome. Editing videos without good editing programs can be very tedious though (not that I have such a thing) so making one video is often what I do; but then miss out on all the intended views when playing back the video in FSX (to then record it with FRAPS but changing the views during the playback). Have never tried to make a 'moving carrier' video though.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

sun444

« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2010, 06:21:38 pm »
One question about the HUD (didn't want to open a new topic for that, I guess it's in good hands here, hope it doesn't bother you too much).

There is this course indicator in the HUD which should be adjustable, either in the HUD gauge or in the VC. When I'm at the catapult trying to set the course to the angled deck, it always snaps back to the actual heading of the Hornet. Is this a pilot error, am I doing anything wrong?

CU
sun444

neutrino

« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2010, 07:01:14 pm »
One question about the HUD (didn't want to open a new topic for that, I guess it's in good hands here, hope it doesn't bother you too much).

There is this course indicator in the HUD which should be adjustable, either in the HUD gauge or in the VC. When I'm at the catapult trying to set the course to the angled deck, it always snaps back to the actual heading of the Hornet. Is this a pilot error, am I doing anything wrong?

CU
sun444

The reason this happens is because the steering arrow automatically adjust itself to the carrier heading (Basic Recovery Course) - this is the course you fly parallel to in your carrier traffic pattern. When you are on the catapult, you are headed the same way as the carrier, so the arrow will point straight up. Once you take off and start making turns, you will see that it stays oriented in the direction the carrier is moving. Only in night operations or bad weather, the arrow will be oriented to the angled deck, rather than the BRC, because instead of making an overhead break and traffic pattern - you go straight in towards the runway.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 07:06:27 pm by neutrino »

sun444

« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2010, 07:06:26 pm »
I understand that, makes sense, but why is there a knob in the gauge to adjust the course if you can't?
CU
sun

neutrino

« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2010, 07:13:35 pm »
I understand that, makes sense, but why is there a knob in the gauge to adjust the course if you can't?
CU
sun

When the NAV radio is tuned to a carrier TACAN channel (47X or 57X), you cannot change the selected course - it is set to the BRC automatically. When it is tuned to a normal VOR station, you can adjust the desired course (OBS) from the HUD Switch Panel (open with Shift+2, the circle dial where it says 'NAV1') or from the Hornet cockpit (at the bottom of the fuel quantity indicator, it says 'CRS').
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 07:16:35 pm by neutrino »

sun444

« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2010, 07:16:57 pm »
Thank you so much, this thing really is intelligent.
Have a nice weekend,
sun

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2010, 08:07:09 pm »
Sun...

To add on to this discussion.  My personal technique for either entering the pattern or on the Cat ready to power up for launch for touch and go's.  When TACAN (47x/57x) is dialed in, and I see NAV1 is auto-set to BRC, I set GPS for the downwind (-180 deg from BRC), and I set NAV2 to Final Bearing (10 deg left of BRC), so I have those numbers visually set in my brain for the pattern.

And yeah, the new HUD is tight, has alot of features, and works very well.  Wait til I wide-release the Sludge Hornet v1.1 w/FSXNP's BlackBox UFC w/Betty alerts and the entire sound pack included.  As well as svicar's new "grunge Sludge" VMFA-323 paint.

Have a good weekend
Later
Sludge

sun444

« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2010, 09:48:24 pm »
Oh guys, the video is gonna be a tough one.

Just realized that we can't even use the PLAT cam on a moving carrier. The position of the cam is fix and the carrier is moving away. At the moment I don't see no way to attach any user defined camera to the moving carrier.

So long
sun

Orion

« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2010, 10:32:24 pm »
Use it within my mission? :P