Author Topic: When will the update be completed for 2.8.3?  (Read 1069 times)

zayixang

When will the update be completed for 2.8.3?
« on: November 07, 2023, 06:23:10 am »
Has the 2.8.3 update been deployed? It's been over ten hours, and the client still can't update. Could you please provide an estimated time for when the update will be available?And where can I find the release notes?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 08:38:55 am by zayixang »

SuperSixBravo

Re: When will the update be completed for 2.8.3?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 08:33:48 am »
Yes it has been a long time. I tried the update yesterday because I was not aware you had to wait for the release notes to be updated despite the App saying there was an update available and allowing the update. Now I assume until I can update correctly my GSX is a mess.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 10:05:33 am »
The "you have to wait for the release notes" procedure is no longer required. The updater will know when an update it's complete and, it won't allow to start an update if it's not safe to do so, which means you don't risk doing that.

In any case, it's out now.

HeicoH

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 10:17:20 am »
Well, something must have gone wrong with 2.8.3.

I still cannot download it completelya, because the installer stops with an error message. If I choose to quit, it it will the same the next time I start the installer. If I choose to continue, it will run run run without any progress.

It is not possible to start GSX with this only partially downloaded update. So: how can I downgrade to a more or less working 2.8.2?
My GSX test scenario (unless otherwise stated):
Sandbox environment
GSX v 2.9.1 (as of 20 Jan 2023)
Fenix A320, PMDG 737-800, ATR-72
EDDL (JustSim), EDDK (Aerosoft), both not Marketplace
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic
no antivirus or firewall software running
all apps started in admin mode

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 10:27:21 am »
Each and every user so far who had a partial 2.8.3 (because the update was started before we added a check in the updater to prevent doing this), has confirmed GSX still worked, although I guess some operators might miss textures.

In any case, 2.8.3 is completely deployed now so, an update "Check" will surely bring all files to the latest version.

HeicoH

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 10:32:49 am »
"In any case, 2.8.3 is completely deployed now so, an update "Check" will surely bring all files to the latest version."

No, it does not. At least not for me. The updater stops with the same error message every time I start it.
Btw: Please answer my question: How can I downgrade to 2.8.2?
My GSX test scenario (unless otherwise stated):
Sandbox environment
GSX v 2.9.1 (as of 20 Jan 2023)
Fenix A320, PMDG 737-800, ATR-72
EDDL (JustSim), EDDK (Aerosoft), both not Marketplace
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic
no antivirus or firewall software running
all apps started in admin mode

zayixang

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2023, 11:06:54 am »
The "you have to wait for the release notes" procedure is no longer required. The updater will know when an update it's complete and, it won't allow to start an update if it's not safe to do so, which means you don't risk doing that.

In any case, it's out now.

You're welcome! I'm glad to hear that you've successfully updated, and it's great to know that the speed has improved significantly compared to before. You mentioned that you did a fresh installation. If you have any more questions or if there's anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2023, 11:29:23 am »
No, it does not. At least not for me. The updater stops with the same error message every time I start it.

Not obvioulsy possible to help you without a precise description of "the error".

Btw: Please answer my question: How can I downgrade to 2.8.2?

You can't and, why you would want to ? You can try Uninstalling/Reinstalling, and you'll get 2.8.3 directly.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2023, 11:32:13 am »
it's great to know that the speed has improved significantly compared to before.

I was hoping for such feedback, since we added a new type of cloudflare caching method (a two-tiered cache), which should reduce the load on our server when files are updated, and it should result in faster updates for everybody.

badwulf

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2023, 05:19:40 pm »
Still no changelog though. Please upload the new changelog to the installer whomever is in charge of that. Thanking you!

Andreasmb

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2023, 05:42:47 pm »
Just to share my experiance:

Yesterday I did not update from 2.8.2., although I saw in the Universal Installer that the button for GSX PRO was not showing "Check" but showing "Update". I did not push the button however as there where no release notes, which I found strange. So went to the Forum and found that Umberto advised that unless there are new release notes do not push the button "Update" ( an advice which I found might easily lead to misunderstandings - as was expressed by others).

Anyhow, today I read in one of Umberto's messages in the Forum that the update is now ready, so today I again opened the Universal Installer and found the status in my case showing "2.8.2. is installed" and "2.8.3. is the latest" and the button "Update" waiting for my push -> so all as to be expected BUT no realese notes under Release Notes?

Nonetheless I "pushed my envelope" by trusting in Umbertos forum info of today "The Update is ready now" and pushed the update button, update went through with lots of small files fairly fast, and it works in MSFS, BUT as mentioned below - the release notes for 2.8.3. are still not shown in Universal Installer.

For anyone who is interested in them here is a link for them
https://www.fsdreamteam.com/couatl_liveupdate_notes.html

Andreas

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2023, 05:47:43 pm »
Still no changelog though. Please upload the new changelog to the installer whomever is in charge of that. Thanking you!
It is here.

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/couatl_liveupdate_notes.html
Captain Kevin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2023, 07:48:24 pm »

The updated release notes have been out since this morning, at the same time as it was possible to update.

As explained in other threads, and in the release note themselves, you DO NOT have to "check the release notes" to KNOW if it's safe to update, because this version of the installer will do that automatically so, if it's not safe to update, it won't update, and it will give a warning about the server being in maintenance and to come back later, so it will never happen you could start an update when it's not safe to do so.