Author Topic: Pushback SimObject: Why doesn't WAGON BACK LINK ORIENTATION move the towbar?  (Read 761 times)

MELKOR

Hi Umberto,

I have a trial version of GSX Pro (via purchase of CYVR) and have been looking at FSDT's pushback implementation to learn more about how pushbacks work in MSFS.

From looking at MSFS SDK docs, and the FSDT pushback sim.cfg and .xml files, seems like the SimVar "WAGON BACK LINK ORIENTATION" should set the towbar angle on the pushback via model animation.

I am able to successfully create the SimObject (I randomly chose "FSDT_TPX_200_DEFAULT_FULL_ORANGE"), and can do things like move the SimObj around using PLANE LATITUDE and PLANE LONGITUDE.

However, changing the value of WAGON BACK LINK ORIENTATION is not moving the towbar.

I'm using "degrees" for the units and FLOAT64 for the type.

Any idea where I am going wrong here?

Thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
I have a trial version of GSX Pro (via purchase of CYVR) and have been looking at FSDT's pushback implementation to learn more about how pushbacks work in MSFS.

If your goal is knowning how pushback works in MSFS, looking at GSX is the last place you should look for, because the GSX Pushback is completely independent from the MSFS one. In fact, it's not even depending on the simulator used, since (apart very minor differences) uses the same code in FSX, P3D and MSFS. Because it's 100% custom.

However, changing the value of WAGON BACK LINK ORIENTATION is not moving the towbar. I'm using "degrees" for the units and FLOAT64 for the type.

It's surely works in GSX, but I cannot say why it doesn't work for you, without looking at your code.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Note that, if you are on SU14 Beta, all animations, seem to be broken, not only in GSX, but also FSLTL AI, so if you are on Beta, nothing will work, basically.

MELKOR

If your goal is knowning how pushback works in MSFS, looking at GSX is the last place you should look for, because the GSX Pushback is completely independent from the MSFS one. In fact, it's not even depending on the simulator used, since (apart very minor differences) uses the same code in FSX, P3D and MSFS. Because it's 100% custom.
Yes, I understand, but the MSFS models don't have towbars. I'm actually more interested in understanding how the SimVar is "hooked in" to a model to trigger an animation.

Note that, if you are on SU14 Beta, all animations, seem to be broken, not only in GSX, but also FSLTL AI, so if you are on Beta, nothing will work, basically.
I'm not subscribed to the beta, so that's not the issue.

It's surely works in GSX, but I cannot say why it doesn't work for you, without looking at your code.
I don't doubt that's true. But, I'm setting the WAGON simvar with the same data definition I'm setting lat/lon, and I'm able to move the tug model around without issue. But changing the WAGON simvar doesn't move the towbar. I've tried various "degrees" values, from -90.0 to 90.0 with no movement.

So, there's something fundamental I'm missing.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Yes, I understand, but the MSFS models don't have towbars. I'm actually more interested in understanding how the SimVar is "hooked in" to a model to trigger an animation.

The plain "hookup" of variables to animation is explained in the SDK, and it should be clear by just looking at the vehicle XML behavior. We might have used another variable, it just that one is available for writing without any systems interfering with it, because that vehicle is not really a "wagon" and when it's created by GSX, is not used as a default MSFS ground vehicle, so the variable is free to use.

But that still won't tell you anything about how the Towbar really works, because what makes it work is in the underlying GSX code, that calculates how a Towbar should work.

I don't doubt that's true. But, I'm setting the WAGON simvar with the same data definition I'm setting lat/lon, and I'm able to move the tug model around without issue. But changing the WAGON simvar doesn't move the towbar. I've tried various "degrees" values, from -90.0 to 90.0 with no movement.

Assuming you are not trying to change it while GSX is using it (you would end up fighting with it to do the same thing), the variable works by setting it to a numeric value in degrees, otherwise the Towbar pushback couldn't possibly work in GSX.

But again, I cannot say why it doesn't work for you, without looking at your code.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 08:39:22 am by virtuali »