Author Topic: GSX window not opening after sim start (just quickly flashing open/close)  (Read 7127 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX window not opening after sim start (just quickly flashing open/close)
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2023, 08:46:02 pm »
I don't see anything in your log which suggests the menu didn't open. You made several different operations in GSX, so the menu must have worked. Could you please clarify exactly at which step it stopped to work, assuming this is what happened ?

Astarof

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2023, 09:24:29 pm »
Hi
One flight, it woks, one flight it doesn't.
Today, it didn't.
I click on Gsx, the window is open less than 1 second.
Here is the log.
Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2023, 10:13:19 pm »
Today, it didn't. I click on Gsx, the window is open less than 1 second.Here is the log.

Your log shows the simulator just closed before you did anything. Note that, from GSX point of view, the simulator "closed" might just mean it "closed communications", which can be caused by having reached the maximum number of objects in the sim or by too many addons connecting to it. But of course it might just be it really closed.

Astarof

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2023, 10:46:32 pm »
Thank you for your answer.
What can I do to have less object ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2023, 01:17:43 am »

Most likely, you have too high AI settings, coupled with a too dense airport, so you surpassed the maximum limit of objects in a scene (officially documented as 1000), after which Simconnect no longer responds correctly to commands, causing all sort of malfunctions.

The easiest way to reach the limit is to use AI traffic, especially with AI Injection. But it IS possible to reach it even without it, if the airport is detailed enough.

What you CAN do from GSX to mitigate the problem ( not fixing it, only Asobo can really fix it, by allowing more than 1000 Simobject in a scene ), is:

- Disable the "Ground Clutter" option in GSX. This will only be effective for default airports that had their jetways replaced by GSX.

- Lower the Passenger Density slider in GSX. This will reduce the number of passengers visible at any given time, which will affect the overall number of Simobjects in a scene.

But the most effective way to deal with the Simobject limit, is reducing the AI Density. If the AI traffic product has an option to disable Ground Services for AI, that's the most effective way, because each AI could generate extra 5-6 objects as ground services so, 100 AI airplanes could add 500-600 Simbojects and, if you add the airport objects, and the Jetways, it's very easy to surpass the max Simobject limit.

romoni

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2023, 10:21:48 am »
I don't see anything in your log which suggests the menu didn't open. You made several different operations in GSX, so the menu must have worked. Could you please clarify exactly at which step it stopped to work, assuming this is what happened ?

1. To do a Flightplan using SimBrief.
2. Import the Flightplan to Navigraph Chart addon.
3. Check the Flightplan that everything is as it should be.
4. Start Flight Simulator 2020 (Steam version) via desktop shortcut.
5 Hoping best that GSX Pro works at this time (a small prayer somewhere upside)
6. After Sim is started I select an airport I want to leave to according my flightplan
7. Push Fly Now and wait as the airport is loaded.
8. After that if everything is gone ok now I can see a GSX Pro Menu open and I know I can continue my started flight
9. I load a real time and real weather + AI Traffick.
10. But if the GSX Menu not open I try to start a Couatl manually - wait a little bit and try again until I understand that this not work today and take heading to the GSX forum to crying my destiny with this randomly working addon..

This is about what I do in general. Today I got GSX to working as I re-started sim at once.

Astarof

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2023, 11:09:38 pm »

But the most effective way to deal with the Simobject limit, is reducing the AI Density. If the AI traffic product has an option to disable Ground Services for AI, that's the most effective way, because each AI could generate extra 5-6 objects as ground services so, 100 AI airplanes could add 500-600 Simbojects and, if you add the airport objects, and the Jetways, it's very easy to surpass the max Simobject limit.

Thank you for your answer but what is surprising is that I fly whithout trafic.

juancho

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2023, 03:04:03 am »
Umberto,

Something strange. In my \AppData\Roaming\virtuali folder.

I found couatl.bak

I never touched this file.

I renamed it to couatl.exe and my GSX started working fine again.

Is it possible one of the upgrades this file got renamed but never switched back by accident?

Murf

« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2023, 08:24:10 pm »
I have the same issue....

I am no programmer, so most of what is in the log file might as well be in Martian!!  ;)

Senior Master Sergent (retired)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2023, 11:04:13 am »
I found couatl.bak

I never touched this file.

I renamed it to couatl.exe and my GSX started working fine again[/quote]

Our installer not only will never put that file that, but it will never use it to backup it so no, you can be sure it wasn't an update or the installer. Either you renamed it and forgot about it, or some other interfering software, like an antivirus did.

However, that's not really the point.

The point is it shouldn't have made any difference, because no .exe is supposed to start from there and that's not how the EXE.XML in the sim is configured to start it from, because the .EXE that is being started by the EXE.XML is in \Addon Manager\Couatl64\Couatl64_MSFS.EXE.

Also, while you don't say anything about this file other than its name (knowing the length would be useful), fact it's named just "couatl" and not Couatl64_MSFS.EXE which is the one and only version that could possibly work with MSFS (Couatl.exe is the 32-bit FSX version and it's also not started from there), seems to indicate you must have renamed the couatl.LOG or the couatl.ERR files, and that would explain why it had a .BAK extension: you probably opened it with a text editor, which made a .BAK copy when you saved it back, which is quite common

So, if you really renamed it to .EXE what is essentially a text file (the backup copy of the log), you really haven't changed anything, since nowhere we use that folder to start the program, and the fact "GSX started to work" was just a coincidence.

Murf

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2023, 11:34:34 pm »
I have the same issue....

I am no programmer, so most of what is in the log file might as well be in Martian!!  ;)

OK.... I posted this in November.... well over a month ago, and I STILL haven't heard anything back... All I want is some help to get it working properly. I would like to use it.

Senior Master Sergent (retired)

zebraleet

« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2023, 01:58:39 pm »
Had this again today and I have just completed a full re-install of MSFS and all addons including GSX.

Loaded into Gate 6 at Manchester EGCC in Fenix A320 using this profile: https://flightsim.to/file/38303/gsx-profile-egcc-manchester-maccosim

It's not repeatedly reproducible, but I killed Couatl and then started via the shortcut "Start Couatl for GSX MSFS", pressed the GSX button in-game and the menu was working again.

I will fish for logs next time it happens

airbumps

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2024, 12:15:51 am »
I had this again today at KORD. Haven't had the issue on the last three or four flights.

Loaded into FSDT's KORD at the gate. Pressed CTRL-SHIFT-F12 to bring up the GSX menu. Nothing happened. Checked the menu bar and noticed that the GSX menu was not lite up. Click on that. Menu appeared the disappeared quickly. Tried again - Same. tried again with CTRL-SHIFT-F12. Same.

Exited the simulator. I've attached the LOG file from. There was NO AI running so can't imagaine it was a sim objects issue and this is at FSDT's own KORD.

I hope this gets fixed - its very frustrating.

Hipshot

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2024, 07:27:53 am »
Exactly the same problem for me ever since SU14. Have run Live Update a number of times.

Richard

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2024, 09:00:22 am »
Exited the simulator. I've attached the LOG file from. There was NO AI running so can't imagaine it was a sim objects issue and this is at FSDT's own KORD.

Your log doesn't show any errors, and it doesn't show you ever tried opening the menu, but it shows you closed the sim and GSX closed normally after normally receiving your close command so, according to the log, everything is normal.

Are you SURE your GSX is installed in the Addon Manager folder and only LINKED to the Community folder, and you haven't done things like moving the Community folder after installing GSX or manually copying GSX instead of Relinking? Maybe a while ago? Check the two GSX packages in the GSX Community folder: they must be Symbolic links, not real folders, which means they should show a small arrow on their icon.

If you don't have the arrows, it means they are real folders, remove them and then "Relink" with the FSDT Installer.