Author Topic: CHI-TOWN  (Read 11482 times)

PUP4ORD

• UA777
Re: CHI-TOWN
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 12:59:57 am »
Their's nothing wrong with Chicago's parks;besides my famliy is from Chicago and Meigs was important to the business community period. :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 03:43:05 am by PUP4ORD »
KENNETH M."PUP"CRADDOCK II
Ladies and Gentlemen please fasten your seatbelts for a short ride......
http://pup4ordfsxmore.blogspot.com/

ALIENWARE AURORA R4 MSWIN7 64BIT  As for the rest of it......?????????

BOOM

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 02:01:34 am »
Wow,Great pics and as a native Chicagoan Thanks very much for the very nice comments about The City,It was really,really great for Aviation before King Richie[The Mayor] carved big X's on the Runway@Miegs Airfield,Miegs was one of the most Beautiful and Picturesque GA airports ever built.They even landed a 727 there!! pretty cool!!! check it out..........

It was a complete shame what mayor Dick Daley had done. Going back on his word,in the middle of the night bulldozers tore up the middle of the runway and put X's at the ends. Their were planes that were trapped but were allowed to takeoffusing the shorter taxiway. To take away an airport that was vital to THE business community and make it a park was just beyond wrong; Anyone hear of Grant Park....... :P ::)

How was Meigs vital?  Sure it was a nice option for business travelers that had their own jet but it wasn't really vital?  But I do agree that the way he went about it was wrong.  And don't criticize Chicago's parks...they are some damn nice parks. :P :D

Speaking of the 727, I've actually been in that at the Museum.  Very cool exhibit.

Well Vital might be a bit strong,but maybe not? Miegs housed the City's Air/Sea rescue unit for The City's Lakefront area,Now that unit is relocated[@ a cost of 8mil to taxpayers] more than 8miles south.That 8 mile travel time could be the difference between life and death for victims of a boating accident or a drowning.Also the Biz jet traffic that used to go to Miegs is now diverted to Midway or O'Hare adding to the already congestion of Commercial traffic which also lowers air safety.

One of my best memory's of Miegs was @ the 2002 air and Water show when Aerial Acrobat Sean Tucker Hung his Oracle Challenger vertically 20ft off the ground and basically hovered in front of a flight line of Army Apache helicopters and their pilots and gunners.........Wow!!! talk about a rush!!! that was cool!!

Patrick

SirIsaac726

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 03:05:56 am »
I was at the Air and Water show last summer!  To be honest, it was quite boring due to how long the time interval was between acts but it was awesome seeing the Blue Angels and things flying over while eating at the Navy Pier.