Author Topic: Latest version with lower nuber than installed version  (Read 834 times)

HeicoH

Latest version with lower nuber than installed version
« on: April 24, 2023, 06:02:05 am »
A few days ago (21/04/2023) I updated to version 2.5.4.
Today I started the Installer, which now tells me:
Installed: 2.5.4
Latest: 2.5.3
What happened? Should I start the Installer anyways or will this lead into further problems?
My GSX test scenario (unless otherwise stated):
Sandbox environment
GSX v 2.9.1 (as of 20 Jan 2023)
Fenix A320, PMDG 737-800, ATR-72
EDDL (JustSim), EDDK (Aerosoft), both not Marketplace
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic
no antivirus or firewall software running
all apps started in admin mode

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Latest version with lower nuber than installed version
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 01:05:46 pm »
What happened? Should I start the Installer anyways or will this lead into further problems?

The version that is online is of course 2.5.4, fact you see 2.5.3 as the latest online available, indicates your local cloudflare node is still outdated, so it's seems you correctly used the Offline installer, to bring the installed version to the latest version. You don't say if you have done that, so I assuming you did, which is compatible with what you are seeing.

As explained so many times, seeing the version number won't guarantee of anything in itself because:

- By using the Offline installer, you can be sure you have at least the latest version of the main GSX code.

But that doesn't include everything: new operators, textures, models, etc. are not included in it ( it would be quite a feat if we could include the whole GSX, which is about 6GB, into a 130 MB installer ), the only way to get these is running the FSDT Live Update.

The Live Update might be affected by cloudflare caching on your local node but, when running the Updater, each and every file is checked to be the latest version so, what you are supposed to do when suspecting you *might* have a problem with your local node, is to pay attention if the updater is downloading the same files over and over, files other than the ones that (according to the Offline installer instructions) are always supposed to be redownloaded. That's the one and only way for you to know your local cloudflare node has a problem but, what you need to do next, depends WHICH files are being redownloaded over and over:

- If they belong to the core GSX code ( usually files with .PYE extension ), you can surely fix this with the Offline installer.

- If they are operators or models ( textures files, models files, etc. ), they are not included in the Offline installer, so the only way to get these, it's waiting for your local cloudflare node to finally catch up with the updates. Some users found using a VPN will fix this, because you'll connect to a different node.

It's even possible the ONLY "outdated" file is the manifest.json file that contains the version so, everything is fine, you just have the wrong version file checked online, but you have the right version locally.

That's why I kept saying showing a version number is not so useful and can ben even misleading, when internet caching is involved: even the file that holds the version number might be outdated itself so, the only way to know if your local node has a problem, is to do what you were always supposed to do, even before we had a version number shown, and it's paying attention if files are being constantly redownloaded, for example if you ran the updater twice in a row.