Author Topic: Sound options  (Read 1159 times)

Ursli80

Sound options
« on: April 08, 2023, 11:49:07 pm »
Hello dear FSDT,

i tested GSX something today and I'm quite satisfied so far.

I only have a few points where you could possibly change??  I have a hardware cockpit with a 5.1 sound system.

The sounds do sound good, but they come from the wrong "side" and the sound from the gate is way too loud for me and the boarding sound is way too quiet  I'm wondering if you could possibly have different sound controls for these two things? 
An option to set different playback sources for the various noises (boarding, gate, pushback) would be interesting. 

For example, I could take the sound from the pushback to the headphones.  Or let the boarding sound run through my beamer, which is behind me in the cockpit.

Thank you very much for listening.

Happy Easter.

Best regards
Urs
Translator
MSFS2020
Prosim737

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Sound options
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 02:32:24 am »
You are describing exactly what GSX always did, since it came out: positional audio, related to the actual 3D position of all its sound source and yes, it supports multichannel audio.

All objects that emits sounds in GSX will do that in the 3d space, including proper attenuation and direction.

However, for positional audio to work correctly, it needs two things:

- The 3d position of the sound emitter, which we obviously have and use, since we creates our vehicles and we know where they are

- The 3d position of the *listener*, which means where you "ears" are.

And this is where there's a problem in MSFS: while in P3D we always had the correct position of the listener, because the Camera API allowed to get the actual position of the Camera/Eyepoint (which for this purpose can safely assumed to be the same as your ears), in MSFS there's no such thing as a Camera API, so we don't know where your eye/ear is located, so the listener position is only approximated to the airplane default viewpoint, and since we don't have data about the camera rotation either, we don't know where you are looking/listening to.

In FSX/P3D (in FSX we hacked in memory to read the current eyepoint, because there was no Camera API there, we can't do that in MSFS ), the positional audio was just perfect, in MSFS not so much.

We haven't changed the audio part, hoping the issue will be fixed, and currently a Camera API is the most wanted feature on the Asobo Developers forum, so we have hope it will be added.

Ursli80

Re: Sound options
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 10:36:39 pm »
You are describing exactly what GSX always did, since it came out: positional audio, related to the actual 3D position of all its sound source and yes, it supports multichannel audio.

All objects that emits sounds in GSX will do that in the 3d space, including proper attenuation and direction.

However, for positional audio to work correctly, it needs two things:

- The 3d position of the sound emitter, which we obviously have and use, since we creates our vehicles and we know where they are

- The 3d position of the *listener*, which means where you "ears" are.

And this is where there's a problem in MSFS: while in P3D we always had the correct position of the listener, because the Camera API allowed to get the actual position of the Camera/Eyepoint (which for this purpose can safely assumed to be the same as your ears), in MSFS there's no such thing as a Camera API, so we don't know where your eye/ear is located, so the listener position is only approximated to the airplane default viewpoint, and since we don't have data about the camera rotation either, we don't know where you are looking/listening to.

In FSX/P3D (in FSX we hacked in memory to read the current eyepoint, because there was no Camera API there, we can't do that in MSFS ), the positional audio was just perfect, in MSFS not so much.

We haven't changed the audio part, hoping the issue will be fixed, and currently a Camera API is the most wanted feature on the Asobo Developers forum, so we have hope it will be added.

Hello,

thank you very much for the answer and your time.

Unfortunately, this is also a problem that FS2020 does not allow much and keeps almost everything for itself. This is a point where I have a lot of trouble with FS2020. 
They try to somehow reinvent the wheel, but do it against Eckig. 
And thus cloud and stuff the beautiful sim they actually have extremely down again.

Well, then let's hope for the common sense of the Asobo people in the near future.

Thank you again.

Best regards
Urs
Translator
MSFS2020
Prosim737