Author Topic: Why you force me to use SU12 Navdata API  (Read 2575 times)

Artox67

Why you force me to use SU12 Navdata API
« on: March 24, 2023, 07:41:30 pm »
I can't uncheck the tickbox.
This is the same bloody stuff like the SU10 API.
It doesn't work, and I can't call the GSX menu after landing.

It opens, but it doesn't load.

So tell me why you force me to use the stuff if I won't.

HeicoH

Re: Why you force me to use SU12 Navdata API
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 07:50:52 pm »
I asked a similar question. I did not get a decent answer. Good luck, Artox67.
My GSX test scenario (unless otherwise stated):
Sandbox environment
GSX v 2.9.1 (as of 20 Jan 2023)
Fenix A320, PMDG 737-800, ATR-72
EDDL (JustSim), EDDK (Aerosoft), both not Marketplace
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic
no antivirus or firewall software running
all apps started in admin mode

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl

HeicoH

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 08:38:02 pm »
@Umberto: The bottom line of my question was "How do I turn off SU12 Navdata option?" You never answered that.
Sandbox environment
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 08:38:19 pm »
I can't uncheck the tickbox.

Of course you can't, it's made like that precisely to make it very clear that it's Enabled and can't be disabled.

This is the same bloody stuff like the SU10 API.

It obviously isn't. In fact, it's exactly the opposite: before, it was Disabled by default, and you had to Enable it.

Are you sure the reason why you can't call the menu after landing is because the Navdata ? Meaning it always worked before without it, and it never worked with it ?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 08:42:02 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 08:40:46 pm »
@Umberto: The bottom line of my question was "How do I turn off SU12 Navdata option?" You never answered that.

I obviously have, and I suggest waiting at least a couple of seconds after I was typing my reply to HeicoH, before complaining I "haven't replied". There's a limit how fast I can type answers...

HeicoH

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2023, 08:58:19 pm »
@Umberto

Ok, Umberto, here is a simple question. I don't want any explanations why and how SU12 Navdata option is superior to SU10 Navadata option nor why and how it it is superior to any other option. I just want a simple "Howto" answer:

How can I disable the SU12 Navadata option.
Sandbox environment
GSX jetways disabled
no AI traffic

Artox67

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 09:00:49 pm »

Are you sure the reason why you can't call the menu after landing is because the Navdata ? Meaning it always worked before without it, and it never worked with it ?
[/quote]

After a couple of flights, I can answer this with yes.
Without the old tickbox SU10 everything works fine.
The same issue I've now I experience with ticked SU10

In my opinion, you should let the customer deceit, if he will this feature or not.
Otherwise it would be avoiding this kind of discussions, when the tickbox doesn't exist at all.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 10:37:41 pm »
In my opinion, you should let the customer deceit, if he will this feature or not.

The correct course of action is instead trying to understand why it's crashing only with the Navdata, because:

- If the Navdata has a problem, we should report it to Asobo, so it will be fixed for everybody.

- If GSX has a problem with the Navdata, we should fix it instead of stop using it

One of the replies I posted explained why now the Navdata is complete with Jetway data, and why there's no reason to going back to the old method, I'll copy it again here:

And why you would want to go back to the legacy "airport cache" method, which would:

- slow down the startup

- have to be regenerated each time you install/remove a scenery

- affected by any possible issues in your Community folder, like file access problems, possibly corrupted files or just not finding the right .BGL ?

- not future-proof, because it relied opening a non-officially documented file format, which can possibly change at any time ( it has already changed several times since MSFS came out ) ?

But that's just half of the problem.

The real reason why we let to choose between the Navdata or the airport cache method, was that with the old Navdata, we got even LESS data about Jetways ( with the .BGL, at least we knew where they were) so, while we gained Marketplace compatibility, we got Jetways to be less reliable.

That's not the case with SU12 that, not only give us all the data we had in the .BGL, but it's giving even more data we never had, about the jetway docked status, and its actual position after the animation, this is new and it's so much better to solve a whole category of problems related to GSX not knowing exactly where the jetway docked, or if it docked partially. All clearly explained in the video about the SU12 update.

In any case, you might TRY this, edit the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatl_MSFS.INI change this line:

useAirportCache=0

into

useAirportCache=1

Now, I haven't tested this, so I have no idea if there are issues with it. And, each time you run the update, you'll need to redo that.

Artox67

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2023, 06:54:49 am »
I'll give it a try.

Thx

maxhades

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2023, 04:55:11 pm »
Same here. Without Navdata it works. Now we have no more option to deactivate this useless feature. In fact, if it works then it is no problem. But it doesn't since SU10 Navdata. This is also a bug in GSX and has nothing to do with User settings or whatever. All workarounds doesn't help at all. At the end, AGAIN GSX doesn't came up after landing without shutting the programm down an start it again.

Max
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 04:58:45 pm by maxhades »

Artox67

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2023, 10:33:12 pm »
Same here. Without Navdata it works. Now we have no more option to deactivate this useless feature. In fact, if it works then it is no problem. But it doesn't since SU10 Navdata. This is also a bug in GSX and has nothing to do with User settings or whatever. All workarounds doesn't help at all. At the end, AGAIN GSX doesn't came up after landing without shutting the programm down an start it again.

Max

Made a couple of flights now without the SU 12 API and everything works like a charm.
Now it's up to Umberto to find a solution.

maxhades

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2023, 12:32:28 am »
This means this entry change in the ini file disable the Navdata?

Artox67

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2023, 08:24:29 am »
This means this entry change in the ini file disable the Navdata?

Yes.

Copper

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2023, 10:35:47 am »
Now it's up to Umberto to find a solution.
I think you'd get a faster solution if you provide a logfile when the menu doesn't load.

At the very least I can say that this is not a general issue. I've been using the SU10 API since it released and apart from the known issue with jetways (which is fixed in the SU12 update) it worked more reliable to me than without the API.
On the discord we've seen people having issues fixed by running the "Check" in the Installer or running Couatl as admin or adding it to exclusions on the Antivirus software...
But I guess without a logfile there's just speculation left.