Author Topic: Automatic "reposition at current gate" upon spawn  (Read 1227 times)

Brokenbroccoli

Automatic "reposition at current gate" upon spawn
« on: March 01, 2023, 12:22:02 pm »
It would totally make sense to make GSX automatically reposition the plane at the current game upon spawning. Otherwise, I don't see the point of all those profile creators customizing the parking position.
I understand the difficulty for GSX to understand if it was started for the first time or just restarted but there has to be a way. Like a log for it to understand when it was connected to the sim for the last time or something like this? There is a way for sure.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Automatic "reposition at current gate" upon spawn
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 04:35:18 pm »
Although I already explained this is not the easiest thing to do for the reasons you already mentioned, I'm not even sure it's something that should be done because, the overall concept in GSX is to NOT "intrude" or doing anything automatically, if it's not explicitly called from the user.

ironlemon

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 07:52:54 pm »
What if we explicitly turn it on as an option though? ;)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 10:33:31 am »
What if we explicitly turn it on as an option though?

No option in GSX breaks the rule that GSX doesn't do anything unless explicitly called, and we cannot possibly guess what side effect starting something in GSX automatically might have, especially on 3rd party airplanes, for example when it's safe to automatically warp the plane, which can change depending on its flight model and custom systems initialization.

Brokenbroccoli

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2023, 09:20:51 pm »
What if we explicitly turn it on as an option though?

No option in GSX breaks the rule that GSX doesn't do anything unless explicitly called

That's sad to hear because many would like automated features (with option to turn off) like automatic deboarding upon arrival for example.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 09:13:35 am »
That's sad to hear because many would like automated features (with option to turn off) like automatic deboarding upon arrival for example.

If you read my explanation why it shouldn't be automated, you would have know if would be, if anything, something airplane-related.

But it's not so simple, there might be other utilities that one might use that can possibly have side effects, that's why we always stick to the "non interfere, unless asked for" logic, that has worked so well in the 11+ years GSX has been out.