Author Topic: Hotkey not working  (Read 2958 times)

lmhariano

Hotkey not working
« on: January 21, 2023, 03:25:42 pm »
During an issue I had with GSX for P3D (which turned out to be a corrupted AFCAD), I wiped out all the %Appdataa%\Virtuali folder. Now I find that, in MSFS, I can no longer use the hotkey I've set for showing the GSX menu in MSFS. I double checked in the Installer, and (as you can see in the attached screenshot), it's as I set it.

However, no matter how many times I press it, GSX does not react. Changing the setting in the Config, and changing back to what I had did nothing. Furthermore, rechecking for integrity in the Installer did not work at all (all that while running the Installer as Admin). I've double checked in FSUIPC and MSFS control settings, and the combination I use (Ctrl+F12) is not used at all elsewhere. How can I make GSX Pro recognize this hotkey?

Edit: I uninstalled and reinstalled GSX Pro... but neither that works!  :'(
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 05:44:37 pm by lmhariano »

lmhariano

Re: Hotkey not working
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 09:46:30 pm »
I tried changing it to Alt+F12, it works. However, it does not only read and Alt+F12, but an F12 too. I have that key set for another function (move camera to F/O's position). With Control+F12, when it worked, that didn't happen. Now it does not even work. Also, it works only with the left Alt, not the right one (Alt Gr). With Control+F12, neither Control works.

For reference, in P3D I use the same hotkey, and it works. I'm still lost...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 09:48:42 pm »
Please clarify: you are referring to both GSX and GSX Pro but: are you having a problem with GSX ( at least that what you wrote ) ?

Because, if you have a problem with the GSX ( the FSX/P3D version ) Hotkey, it's normal it won't be fixed by looking at the Hotkey assignment in the GSX PRO Config Panel, precisely because that panel is only relevant to GSX Pro, which handles its Hotkey in a completely different way.

The Hotkey for GSX is instead configured inside the sim, from the "Couatl -> KeyMappings" menu, and by default ( when you wipe out your preferences ), it's CTRL+Shift+F12.

However, no matter how many times I press it, GSX does not react. Changing the setting in the Config, and changing back to what I had did nothing. Furthermore, rechecking for integrity in the Installer did not work at all (all that while running the Installer as Admin). I've double checked in FSUIPC and MSFS control settings, and the combination I use (Ctrl+F12) is not used at all elsewhere. How can I make GSX Pro recognize this hotkey?

You are still mixing up GSX and GSX Pro in the same sentence: first you say GSX does not react, them you say GSX Pro doesn't recognize the Hotkey.

If it's GSX Pro you are referring now, maybe you are assuming GSX Pro would immediately recognize the Hotkey, as it did in FSX/P3D. That's not how GSX Pro works, you need to open the GSX Toolbar menu first, THEN you can Close/Open GSX with the Hotkey! This is of course fully explained in the manual, when the menu is discussed:

When the GSX Toolbar icon is Inactive:

• It won’t be able to open the menu automatically when needed.
• No text messages will be shown on screen.
• The GSX Hot-key won’t work.

and:

This is now your normal workflow should be:

• Open the GSX menu from the Toolbar icon when first starting Ground services .
• Don’t close it from the Toolbar while Ground services are performed, always
use the Hot-key or the X icon to close the menu.
• Close the menu using the Toolbar icon when you are done with Ground services,
usually before take-off.

lmhariano

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 03:31:16 am »
First of all, thanks for your time with each one of us, Umberto. Now, please allow me to explain better my issue:

- Previously I had a problem with GSX in P3D. While troubleshooting, I wiped out all my GSX settings (both for P3D and Pro for MSFS). Issue in P3D was solved, it turned out to be a corrupted AFCAD. GSX works now OK in P3D.

(From now on, all my coments are about GSX Pro only)

- Since my GSX Pro settings were wiped out, I entered the configurations back, and in the Installer I set the hotkey to what I want (Control+F12, instead of the default Control+Shift+F12).
- In MSFS, as soon as I load a flight, the GSX window appears, as usual. After selecting an option (or ignoring it for some time), it disappears, as usual. When I try to use the hotkey to show the menu again, it does not respond, even when I confirmed the toolbar is indeed active.
- If I set another hotkey (let's say, Alt+F12) it works, but the sim also reads a F12 and executes the function I have assigned to this key.
- When Control+F12 used to work (before my issues), only the GSX Pro menu opened. This is the behavior I expected.

My question is how to make Control+F12 work again?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 05:07:53 pm »
I tried it now, and I can assign GSX to Ctrl+F12 in MSFS with no problems. Note that, the setting won't be active immediately: it requires a restart of the sim so, if you ran the FSDT Installer ( which closed Couatl/GSX ), changed the hotkey, restarted Couatl manually, it won't work.

About the sim getting the key assigned to the menu, there's just nothing we can do about it, it's just not possible to completely prevent a key to be reached by the simulator ( it was possible in FSX/P3D, not in MSFS ) so, your only choice is to be sure that key doesn't do anything in the sim.

Personally, I use X for GSX.