Author Topic: Losing VR toolbar  (Read 3164 times)

cannow

Losing VR toolbar
« on: December 07, 2022, 11:37:10 pm »
Having problems after entering VR when using GSX . First sign is no toolbar in VR and models stop injecting in to sim from GSX . Exit to menu never completes and I have to restart the PC. Only happens with GSX installed . Can someone test in VR please . I have a reverb G2 headset. Just started last few days. 

cannow

Re: Losing VR toolbar
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 07:00:16 pm »
any thoughts anyone

cannow

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 11:01:42 pm »
seems I am not the only one having issuses and a real blocker for vr flyers https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/no-pause-menu-toolbar-in-vr/562275

infus1on

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 03:46:41 am »
I can confirm I am having the same issue. The only way to get the toolbar back is to deactivate GSX. I deactivated because I need my charts more than GSX. Hopefully there will be some kind of fix.
Mike

FSDreamteam: KLAX Los Angeles * KDFW Dallas Fort Worth * KLAS McCarran * KJFK New York * KORD O'Hare * PHNL Honolulu * Hawaiian Airports Vol. 1 & 2 * LSZG Zurich CYVR Vancouver

cannow

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 06:38:52 pm »
thanks good to confirm . i wonder if it is the keep alive and highlighted causing issues wonder if a way to turn off . can live without.

cannow

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2022, 01:40:49 pm »
Really could do with assistance three days now.
Attached some logs but cant see anything there . You enter VR toolbar will no longer work and GSX will no longer inject models.
You cant close down the flight.
This has just started but cant pin down to which update. Dont think I saw it before the latest openxr update but doubt linked. Will post if more info.
Be really nice if the dev team can give a glimmer of how to fault find this.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 05:19:07 pm »
This has just started but cant pin down to which update. Dont think I saw it before the latest openxr update but doubt linked. Will post if more info.  Be really nice if the dev team can give a glimmer of how to fault find this.

It might have been useful if you provided some context about your issue, for example when and how you switch to VR, if you use AI with injection, etc. As I posted on the MSFS forum:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/fsdreamteam-gsx-for-msfs/287195/930

I tried using latest GSX with the latest MSFS version ( SU11 AAU1 Beta ), and I couldn't find any issue. Also, check the latest post there, which seems to indicate the problem is caused by having hit the max number of objects, which will in turn make the whole Simconnect unresponsive.

cannow

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 07:28:26 pm »
Thank you umberto . The last post there was me . The max objects element I thought was from external applications like yourself or AIG or FSTL. I had already eliminated them and your extra clutter setting hence my frustration. Plus was running settings very similar to SU10 . I turned down airport vehicles , walkers road traffic ships . I had a couple of settings at 50%  cant remember which. All settings down to 30%.
Two full flights without issue using iniscene EGLL as a testbed.
As these are all internal sim settings I did not think effected the max external objects.
Could you kindly explain what the max objects comprises of  and internal sim settings that contribute to it.
To help people balance there system .
I was only aware of it due to a post by FSTL commenting on the extra clutter setting in GSX giving them headaches . 
Thank you for your support but from what I have seen and some of posts I have read suggests people may be having similar issues without realising what is going on and blaming your software.
In the end this is an issue for Asobo to rectify but I need more in depth knowledge to raise this as a fault.  Never seen any bug reports before .     

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2022, 01:38:39 pm »
As these are all internal sim settings I did not think effected the max external objects.

I think that, when the max Simobject limit is hit, is triggering some kind of bug in the sim, which results in Simconnect not responding correctly anymore, which means that basically no add-on using it will work correctly.

Just yesterday I spent several hours together with the other GSX developer, trying to replicate your issue (without using any AI Injection, so we were quite sure the max Simobject limit wasn't hit) and, no matter which foul combinations of entering/exiting VR in every possible situation, ever resulted in a loss of the menu, the toolbar or any other issue.

Tried entering VR on the Main menu, no issues.

Tried entering VR after the flight started, no issues.

Tried opening the GSX menu, and entering VR with the menu open, no issue, the menu just reopened.

Tried opening the GSX menu, letting it timeout without choosing anything, no issue, the menu just reopened entering VR

Tried entering/exiting VR by keep pressing CTRL+TAB multiple times, as fast as possible, no issues.

Tried pressing the GSX hotkey as fast as possible, no issue, the menu just open, closes, open again, closes, as expected.

So, after hours of testing, we were never be able to replicate ANY problem related to VR, so our conclusion was the only possible reason for this, is some kind of Simconnect problem, as if Simconnect stopped to call back our code, as it's supposed to.

Could you kindly explain what the max objects comprises of  and internal sim settings that contribute to it.

Any Simobjects counts to reach the limit. AI airplanes, Ground vehicles servicing AI, GSX Ground vehicles servicing the User, Jetways, static Simobjects placed by the scenery itself, everything can contribute to reach the limit.

I was only aware of it due to a post by FSTL commenting on the extra clutter setting in GSX giving them headaches .   Thank you for your support but from what I have seen and some of posts I have read suggests people may be having similar issues without realising what is going on and blaming your software.

Historically, there has been a tendency to blame the software that has been released last.

For example, when we released new airports in P3D (especially in 32 bit), users that were already very close to memory exhaustion because of all the other stuff the installed before, from memory-hungry planes to more detailed background sceneries, blamed our airports to "cause" a CTD, saying it was our duty to "optimize" the airport to be sure it would run in *every* possible combination of installed add-ons, regardless of those add-on already took almost all the available memory.

I don't obviously agree to this view, and it's just wrong putting the blame on the newest released software: if you are exhausting your resources, it's always because of a COMBINATION of multiple add-on, each one consuming some, not a single one should be "blamed", and I'm saying this even when in this case, we were the ones releasing first.

In the end this is an issue for Asobo to rectify but I need more in depth knowledge to raise this as a fault.  Never seen any bug reports before.

Of course it is, and I'm sure the max Simobject limit ( which has now been recently documented to be 1000 ) must be some legacy setting inherited when that limit seemed impossible to reach, because you would have ended your RAM/VRAM well before you reached that limit in FSX or P3D.

However, the way MSFS is done, that encourages and in some case even enforces objects to be more optimized with multiple LODs ( at least ours surely are ), and the fact it's possible ( only after SU9 ) to create composite objects made of multiple sub-objects, makes the limit easier to reach, before you are hitting into actual performance issues, because you might very well have 1100 objects in MSFS, not necessarily taking more memory or causing fps issue than 500 objects in FSX or P3D so yes, I think that limit should be lifted.

And yes, there are reports about it, both on the Microsoft Flight sim users forum, but also on Asobo Devs forum.

mseder

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 12:56:34 am »
Hi

I had this problem for weeks now and it's really annoying.
Now I'm always a bit nervous before hitting the tab after entering VR.
Will the toolbar show up or not?

Sorry Umberto but I have not really found either a clear pattern or a solution.
Generally restarting MSFS and loading a flightplan gives a brand new start.
But if I then e.g. put away my headset, restarts Oculus app and get back it stops working.

I also noticed that when it doesn't work the black panel that wants me to hit spacebar for centralizing the view never shows up.
That's the first sign.

I've tried to get out of VR using the toolbar in normal mode and then  return to VR but the toolbar in VR is just impossible to get back.

This happens not that often  and again I can't really find any circumstances. But when it happens it could survive plenty attempts of reboot, restart MSFS etc.

Only tonight I've been struggling for having one single flight doable for 2 hours.

I don't know but that Max Simobjects seem like a shot in the dark, not able to confirm or reject kind of. restarting a flight on the same airport and the same aircraft should indicate that this really is not the problem.

And good for you Umberto, I unlinked GSX but that hasn't helped either.

Mats

« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 01:20:10 am by mseder »

SkylaneMarty

Re: Problem with GSX in VR
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2023, 01:12:21 am »
I don't know if this is related to this topic or not.
System:
Windows 11 Pro
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Premium
Varjo Aero Headset running Varjo Base 3.9
     Motion Smoothing "Always Enabled"
     Vertical Synchronization "Enabled - Fixed 30 fps"
MSFS 2020 DLSS | Performance

OpenXR Toolkit 1.2.4

When I get into MSFS 2D GSX says "Loading Menu" but the menu doesn't load
If I go into VR, I get either a narrow bar across the screen. Sometimes it is white, sometimes it is the GSX loading screen message stretched extremely wide across the entire length of the bar.

This started happening after the Varjo Base 3.9 and Motion Smoothing were enabled by Varjo this week.

Martin

RedeyeStorm

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2023, 05:31:06 pm »
I have had this issue as well. I am using a Valve Index. Sometimes is goes away by simple waiting 5 minutes or so. But these days I make sure GSX in the toolbar is deactivated (not white) before switching to VR and have not had this issue anymore.

No scientific testing done. More like clicking my heels three times......

Marcel

Synoopy

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2024, 05:46:32 am »
I know this topic is old about no tool bar in VR , just wanted to say its still a thing because I am having this issue as well. I guess its a long standing issue.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2024, 02:41:31 pm »
It's a longstanding issue of the Toolbar itself in MSFS, happens with several  other add-ons as well.