Author Topic: GSX Pro not offering full menu options at startup  (Read 1897 times)

FlyingAce

GSX Pro not offering full menu options at startup
« on: November 24, 2022, 08:24:32 am »
Can someone please explain to me why GSX Pro is not showing full menu options at startup? Please see screenshot.

It only shows landing options even though I haven't flown anywhere yet. Not to mention that I'm also experiencing the "Couatl engine hasn't started" issue 90% of the time. And the other 10% that it does start, it assumes I just landed and offers me landing options only.

I have also attached a log file because I know you're going to ask for it.
Tony B.

i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, ASUS GTX1070 GPU with 8GB VRAM, 500GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD, 2 ASUS 24" monitors and 1 Samsung 19" monitor.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Pro not offering full menu options at startup
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 02:35:20 pm »
Can someone please explain to me why GSX Pro is not showing full menu options at startup? Please see screenshot.

Your screenshot is telling your are inside the range of a Seaplane base. Page 64 of the Manual, the chapter named "Auxiliary airports/helipads/seaplane bases" explains how to deal with this case and exclude them from being considered.

FlyingAce

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 09:22:57 pm »

Your screenshot is telling your are inside the range of a Seaplane base. Page 64 of the Manual, the chapter named "Auxiliary airports/helipads/seaplane bases" explains how to deal with this case and exclude them from being considered.

No, that's incorrect. The "menu" of your defective software is telling that I'm inside the range of a Seaplane base. The screenshot, on the other hand, is of my aircraft parked on the south apron of CYVR, between the South Terminal and Esso Avitat and directly in front of the Transport Canada Regional office building. I was a real-life pilot for 10 years with CYVR as my home base. I think I would know if my aircraft was parked in a seaplane base.

Not to mention the fact that every time I start MSFS, I have to load the Couatl scripting engine manually because it refuses to load on its own.
Tony B.

i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, ASUS GTX1070 GPU with 8GB VRAM, 500GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD, 2 ASUS 24" monitors and 1 Samsung 19" monitor.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 03:55:00 pm »
No, that's incorrect. The "menu" of your defective software is telling that I'm inside the range of a Seaplane base. The screenshot, on the other hand, is of my aircraft parked on the south apron of CYVR, between the South Terminal and Esso Avitat and directly in front of the Transport Canada Regional office building. I was a real-life pilot for 10 years with CYVR as my home base. I think I would know if my aircraft was parked in a seaplane base.

If you cared to read what I wrote, it would have saved your from some embarrassment of being, again, wrong, and failed to understand the simple explanation, for a case that is obviously covered by the manual.

Our software is not obviously "defective" thinking you are IN THE RANGE ( pay attention to the difference to be "in the range" or "parked in" ) of the Seaplane base.  If you cared to READ the relevant page in the manual, you would have known that, by default, airports are considered to have a 3NM visibility range, which is measured from the airport ARP to your position.

While normally this works just fine, when there are smaller airport like Seaplane base that are either very close or even inside the main airport, depending WHERE you parked ( which doesn't have to be ON a parking spot of the Seaplane base ), your actual location might be CLOSER to the ARP of the Seaplane base than the ARP of the main airport so, GSX will assume that's where you are, because it is the airport closer to you.

That's why there's a visibility control to sort out these cases, and a whole manual page dedicated to it.

Not to mention the fact that every time I start MSFS, I have to load the Couatl scripting engine manually because it refuses to load on its own.

Why you are somehow conviced it's a GSX problem ? Haven't even read the relevant sticky thread which clearly explain, if Couatl starts manually, but not automatically, it's either a problem of your EXE.XML or a bug of the sim because, obviously, other than adding it to the EXE.XML file, the actual loading process is completely out of our control ? That's precisely why there is an icon to start it manually.

FlyingAce

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 03:53:43 am »
Your arrogance never stops. I can always count on it being consistent. But hey, I guess, if we want to continue using your product (since you're the only one that offers a ground services app), we would simply have to put up with your narcissistic tendencies.

I understand what you are saying with respect to the seaplane base being inside CYVR, but if your product fails to recognize the position of an aircraft parked at CYVR south terminal (which is a very busy terminal, not to mention all the FBO's located there), and interpolates it as being in range of CAM9, then your ability to properly code is lacking. The entire south side of CYVR is closer to the seaplane base, therefore, as per your explanation, all aircraft parked on the south side would be seen by your product as being part of the seaplane base. Perhaps, if you were a more competent developer, there wouldn't be a need for a "relevant page in the manual".

Now, in regards to the Couatl scripting engine not loading automatically, having been a customer since 2015, I can no longer count the number of times you have blamed other developers and/or software for the downfalls of your products. It's NEVER your product and ALWAYS someone else's fault. It's funny how all other developer's products load just fine, but not yours. Yet, it's the sim's fault. The exe.xml file is perfectly fine, as I compared it to the one you posted in the pertinent thread. So, that can't be the reason. This brings us to your second diagnosis that it's the sim's fault. I guess those programmers at Asobo are nowhere near as good as you huh? LMAO

I'm done here. There is no reasoning with you. You are always right and everyone else is wrong. A typical narcissistic trait.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 03:57:56 am by FlyingAce »
Tony B.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 11:15:28 am »
I understand what you are saying with respect to the seaplane base being inside CYVR, but if your product fails to recognize the position of an aircraft parked at CYVR south terminal (which is a very busy terminal, not to mention all the FBO's located there), and interpolates it as being in range of CAM9, then your ability to properly code is lacking.

Airports in the Navdata don't have something like a "perimeter". They only have a center point, which usually is the real world ARP, and that's it.  How you do expect a "properly coded" program could possibly decide which airport you are in, having only two coordinates ( the ARP and the Airplane ) to compare ?

When you are located on CYVR South terminal, your position is CLOSER to CAM9 ARP than it is to CYVR ARP so, what would be your suggestion on what to do in this case ?

GSX has a default "visibility" range for airports, that is 3.0NM, which is usually fine, since most nearby airports are not closer than that. However, this won't work when there are airports inside this range, like Helipads/Airbases/Seaplane docks, etc.

Of course, GSX already some ways to filter out airports that are unlikely to be useful with GSX, so you won't have to edit their visibility manually, and it works in a way that, in order to be considered usable, an airport should have at least 2 parking spots, one taxiway and one runway, which is the bare minimum GSX can work with. Any airports that don't fulfill this criteria will be automatically excluded, and that will remove most of those Helipads or Seaplane bases, so there's no manual editing required in most cases.

However, Flightsim studios CAM9 is a bit unusual, since it has 3 Parking spots, several "taxiways" and one water runway, so it satisfied all the criteria we set in place to automatically accept an airport. Which means, in THIS case, it REQUIRES to use the fully documented procedure in the manual, that is setting its visibility to 0 to exclude it.

OBVIOUSLY, following YOUR report, since never before somebody reported an Seaplane base that looks like a "complete" airport before ( or maybe most users just accepted the normal visibility procedure in the manual and just edited them out without making such a big fuss ), we added a new criteria in the filtering method, which will ignore an airport that has only Water runways, and this will of course included in the next update, due out in the next days.

Yet, it's the sim's fault. The exe.xml file is perfectly fine, as I compared it to the one you posted in the pertinent thread. So, that can't be the reason. This brings us to your second diagnosis that it's the sim's fault. I guess those programmers at Asobo are nowhere near as good as you huh? LMAO

Here's a post on Asobo Developers forum, opened by another developer:

https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/questions/8061/exexml-fails-to-launch-my-simconnect-external-appl.html

And here's the reply from an actual Asobo developer:

That's an issue we're already tracking. It's related to MS Store checking the app (MSFS) has a correct licence but also checking for child apps and failing in this case. We will come back to you when we know more about this.

So much for me "blaming the sim" for no reason...when this was a very well known and confirmed bug which, even with a perfectly fine EXE.XML, still resulted in the sim not starting the .EXE in some cases. We are not sure if it has been completely fixed in SU11, surely it's not in the release notes, so perhaps Asobo hasn't confirmed it has been fixed, because they still know there might be some cases in which it hasn't.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 11:17:57 am by virtuali »

FlyingAce

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 05:41:50 pm »
Airports in the Navdata don't have something like a "perimeter". They only have a center point, which usually is the real world ARP, and that's it.  How you do expect a "properly coded" program could possibly decide which airport you are in, having only two coordinates ( the ARP and the Airplane ) to compare ?

When you are located on CYVR South terminal, your position is CLOSER to CAM9 ARP than it is to CYVR ARP so, what would be your suggestion on what to do in this case ?

GSX has a default "visibility" range for airports, that is 3.0NM, which is usually fine, since most nearby airports are not closer than that. However, this won't work when there are airports inside this range, like Helipads/Airbases/Seaplane docks, etc.

Of course, GSX already some ways to filter out airports that are unlikely to be useful with GSX, so you won't have to edit their visibility manually, and it works in a way that, in order to be considered usable, an airport should have at least 2 parking spots, one taxiway and one runway, which is the bare minimum GSX can work with. Any airports that don't fulfill this criteria will be automatically excluded, and that will remove most of those Helipads or Seaplane bases, so there's no manual editing required in most cases.

However, Flightsim studios CAM9 is a bit unusual, since it has 3 Parking spots, several "taxiways" and one water runway, so it satisfied all the criteria we set in place to automatically accept an airport. Which means, in THIS case, it REQUIRES to use the fully documented procedure in the manual, that is setting its visibility to 0 to exclude it.

OBVIOUSLY, following YOUR report, since never before somebody reported an Seaplane base that looks like a "complete" airport before ( or maybe most users just accepted the normal visibility procedure in the manual and just edited them out without making such a big fuss ), we added a new criteria in the filtering method, which will ignore an airport that has only Water runways, and this will of course included in the next update, due out in the next days.

That's a reasonable and factual explanation. I now realize it's not as easy as I thought it would be to code this into GSX, given the restrictions. I stand corrected, and I've learned something new today. Also, it's great that you added a "water runway" criteria to your filtering method. Thank you for that. But you know what's even more great? You replying to my post without your usual condescending and disrespectful remarks. I think this is the first time since 2015, I've witnessed you do that. That's an improvement. See, it wasn't that difficult.

So much for me "blaming the sim" for no reason...when this was a very well known and confirmed bug which, even with a perfectly fine EXE.XML, still resulted in the sim not starting the .EXE in some cases. We are not sure if it has been completely fixed in SU11, surely it's not in the release notes, so perhaps Asobo hasn't confirmed it has been fixed, because they still know there might be some cases in which it hasn't.

I read the post on the Asobo Developers forum, and you're right, it seems there's indeed an issue with the sim not executing the exe.xml file. I don't know how and why, or if this even ties in to the problem, but running the sim as administrator seems to fix the issue. I tried it this morning by right-clicking on the MSFS launcher and selecting "Run as administrator" and the Couatl engine loaded just fine. Then, I started the sim again, but this time from within the Addons Linker and the Couatl engine failed to start automatically again. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to set MSFS to run as administrator permanently, since one cannot access the MSFS exe file as it resides in a restricted folder. Asobo needs to provide a solution so people can set administrator rights to MSFS exe file permanently.

On a side note, although this time the fault was indeed with the sim, that's not always the case, and it would be nice if you would concede that. In the past, you have always blamed other developers and their products. Nevertheless, this time you were right, and most importantly, you replied with facts and without ridicule or talking down to a paying customer. Kudos to you!

Respectfully,

Tony
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 05:45:49 pm by FlyingAce »
Tony B.