Author Topic: Moviing GSX Pro entries out of MSFS Community folder  (Read 2119 times)

FlyingAce

Moviing GSX Pro entries out of MSFS Community folder
« on: November 24, 2022, 06:44:17 am »
I noticed the two entries the Installer puts in the MSFS community folder are mere shortcuts pointing to the location where GSX pro is actually installed. That being the case, can I cut and paste these shortcuts in MSFS Addons Linker? I'm hoping you are familiar with the Addons Linker and what it does. If not, is there a way to change the settings in the Installer so it doesn't install GSX Pro and other FSDT apps in the MSFS community folder?
Tony B.

i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, ASUS GTX1070 GPU with 8GB VRAM, 500GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD, 2 ASUS 24" monitors and 1 Samsung 19" monitor.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Moviing GSX Pro entries out of MSFS Community folder
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 02:41:41 pm »
I'm not sure why you think you need to do something in the first place. When I launch the Addon Linker, I see GSX and other FSDT products correctly listed as "Links" in Green.

FlyingAce

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 08:44:05 pm »
I'm not sure why you think you need to do something in the first place. When I launch the Addon Linker, I see GSX and other FSDT products correctly listed as "Links" in Green.

Yes, it's true they can be seen from the Addons Linker, but they can't be managed. I would like to have the option to use GSX or not without having to edit the exe.xml file. If the shortcuts can be moved to the Addons Linker folder instead of the MSFS community folder, then people would have that option. The same goes for all the rest of your products. In the community folder, there is no option to manage them and they will always load into the simulator, which in turn this would lengthen the start/load time of MSFS.

So, once again, can the shortcuts for your products be cut and pasted to the Addons Linker folder?
Tony B.

i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, ASUS GTX1070 GPU with 8GB VRAM, 500GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD, 2 ASUS 24" monitors and 1 Samsung 19" monitor.

Copper

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 08:57:03 pm »
So, once again, can the shortcuts for your products be cut and pasted to the Addons Linker folder?
Technically it doesn't matter if the softlinks are placed there by the FSDT installer or the Addons Linker.
So of course you can set it up as you like, MSFS doesn't care.
Just note that if you start the FSDT installer without having the softlinks in the Community folder, it'll prompt you to "relink" them.

Also remember that couatl will still start with MSFS since that is not done using the links.

FlyingAce

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 09:39:47 pm »
Technically it doesn't matter if the softlinks are placed there by the FSDT installer or the Addons Linker.
So of course you can set it up as you like, MSFS doesn't care.
Just note that if you start the FSDT installer without having the softlinks in the Community folder, it'll prompt you to "relink" them.

Also remember that couatl will still start with MSFS since that is not done using the links.

Thank you Cipher for the quick reply. It's really appreciated. But just to be clear, are you saying that if I purchased all of FSDT airports, they will all load into the sim every time I start it just because they are initiated by the exe.xml file and not the addons installer? If that's the case, then that's a ton of unnecessary scenery for MSFS to load and that's going to extend the load time by a lot. Perhaps FSDT should consider not using exe.xml to load their products so their customer can pick and choose which scenery is to be loaded at any given time.
Tony B.

gdavej

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 04:35:20 am »
Thank you Cipher for the quick reply. It's really appreciated. But just to be clear, are you saying that if I purchased all of FSDT airports, they will all load into the sim every time I start it just because they are initiated by the exe.xml file and not the addons installer? If that's the case, then that's a ton of unnecessary scenery for MSFS to load and that's going to extend the load time by a lot. Perhaps FSDT should consider not using exe.xml to load their products so their customer can pick and choose which scenery is to be loaded at any given time.

The FSDT airports do not use couatl, and are thus totally unrelated to the exe.xml file. The exe.xml file is used merely to load the couatl executable which is required for GSX operations. So my advice is just forget about the exe.xml file, and unless you know what you're doing, don't touch it.

I use MSFS Addons Linker to enable/disable the FSDT airports just as I use it for all other scenaries. This can be easily accomplished within the AddonsLinker... go to the  Options General tab and add a new Addons folder, which points to the install directory for all your FSDT airports, these airports will then appear in the Community Addons panel on the left of the app.  Indeed you can also enable and disable the 2 GSX folders since these 2 folders will now appear in the AddonsLinkker app, although by default the AddonsLinker uses Junction links, whilst the FSDreamteam uses symbolic links to link the GSX folders into the Community folder.

FlyingAce

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 04:07:20 am »

The FSDT airports do not use couatl, and are thus totally unrelated to the exe.xml file. The exe.xml file is used merely to load the couatl executable which is required for GSX operations. So my advice is just forget about the exe.xml file, and unless you know what you're doing, don't touch it.

I use MSFS Addons Linker to enable/disable the FSDT airports just as I use it for all other scenaries. This can be easily accomplished within the AddonsLinker... go to the  Options General tab and add a new Addons folder, which points to the install directory for all your FSDT airports, these airports will then appear in the Community Addons panel on the left of the app.  Indeed you can also enable and disable the 2 GSX folders since these 2 folders will now appear in the AddonsLinkker app, although by default the AddonsLinker uses Junction links, whilst the FSDreamteam uses symbolic links to link the GSX folders into the Community folder.

Thank you gdavej for that detailed explanation. I appreciate it.
Tony B.