Author Topic: Carrier Landings  (Read 78661 times)

SUBS17

Re: Carrier Landings
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2008, 09:27:50 pm »
IRL the Hornet drivers also have the luxury of ACLS when using TACAN/ILs.(Automatic Carrier Landing System)

micro

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2008, 10:40:39 pm »
If you ask any pilot ACLS is no "luxury". It makes for a very uncomfortable approach. :o

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2008, 04:54:27 am »
i wouldnt mind 10g if i was piloting a real hornet :P lol

SUBS17

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2008, 06:31:32 am »
Tomcat drivers are always envious of the Hornet drivers for that, and Hornet drivers were always envious that the CATS could travel further faster. ;D

SUBS17

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2008, 01:28:26 am »
Finally the Air medal for SUBS ;D 5 traps on the Landing practice mission. I'm using zoomed HUD now instead of the F10 view.

deltaleader

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2008, 03:03:33 am »
Finally the Air medal for SUBS ;D 5 traps on the Landing practice mission. I'm using zoomed HUD now instead of the F10 view.

I would interested in knowing how you did your approach...speed, AoA, etc...
ex-Private Pilot, life long Flight Simmer...can't really tell you about my other hobbies...

SUBS17

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2008, 07:07:56 am »
140kts trimmed full flaps and a little lead due to the crosswind. Slight flare before touch down aiming for No3 wire. I had 1 bolter on my 4th approach due to the crosswind and getting distracted by something. ;D. BTW yesterday I discovered that you can break the Hornet if you're not careful and I had a wild catapult ride involving a roll into the water due to a slightly heavy landing before hand.

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2008, 11:08:14 am »
haha congratulations
i did all the f-18 missions, just save the game a lot and you'll be fine  :D

SUBS17

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2008, 05:59:44 pm »
No saving for me dude it was more a matter of waiting till I had enough free time to play them BTW did the UFO mission yesterday as well no problems beating it although I did lose talley on the bogey as it disappears is it supposed to do that or is it my graphics card? I wonder if dx10 users had the same problem?

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2008, 07:12:44 pm »
im using dx9, but i didnt notice it 'disappearing', in fact it changes its course suddenly, and very fast to make it almost impossible to follow it after it turns, the best thing i could do is align close to it right after a turn.  but thats not disappearing, maybe yours bugged or something, idk :D lol

SUBS17

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2008, 05:28:06 am »
Maybe mine has the realistic UFO FM patch lol ;D.

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2008, 08:51:24 pm »
bumping this thread, and speaking of carrier landings, the fsx braking system has to be very unrealisitc, you know, when you're on the ground at 150kts and you pull the parking brakes, and the aircraft nose instantly leans foward and almost hit the ground. well, on carrier landings, even on the most perfect landing, i ALWAYS hit the deck with the nose. even on the most perfect landing, this happens. watching some real hornet landing videos on youtube, i noticed that even desaccelerating from 140kts to 0 in like one or two seconds, the aircraft's nose remains static.
well, honestly, i dont know why microsoft wanted to put militar aircrafts capable of arrested landings in a game with these physics conditions.

sorry for the typo, im really frustrated with this GAME.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 08:53:24 pm by fael097 »

SUBS17

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2008, 11:29:05 pm »
150kts on the ground putting the park brake on, LMAO you're supposed to use aerodynamic braking combined with toe brakes and air brakes.

deltaleader

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2008, 12:52:25 am »
bumping this thread, and speaking of carrier landings, the fsx braking system has to be very unrealisitc, you know, when you're on the ground at 150kts and you pull the parking brakes, and the aircraft nose instantly leans foward and almost hit the ground. well, on carrier landings, even on the most perfect landing, i ALWAYS hit the deck with the nose. even on the most perfect landing, this happens. watching some real hornet landing videos on youtube, i noticed that even desaccelerating from 140kts to 0 in like one or two seconds, the aircraft's nose remains static.
well, honestly, i dont know why microsoft wanted to put militar aircrafts capable of arrested landings in a game with these physics conditions.

sorry for the typo, im really frustrated with this GAME.

I am with you on this.  I wonder how many people fly full realistic with crash detection vs not in those videos.  My landing always do a nose dive and roll right in to the deck regardless of how perfect the approach was.  I did notice if I use the ailerons to correct the roll after I hit the deck, in some cases it helped keep the plane from fully rolling over.  It also makes a diference if I land with a lower gross weight as expected.  I still think the carrier landing is screwed up...I want to confirm this with a real f-18 pilot in which I may ping here real shortly.
ex-Private Pilot, life long Flight Simmer...can't really tell you about my other hobbies...

SUBS17

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2008, 01:05:08 am »
The roll is induced by not being properly lined up with the centre of the carrier, I found this out in the carrier practice mission if you over do it you can damage your control surfaces and when you launch you lose control. Do not use park brake to land on carriers either ;D Hook and airbrakes only