Author Topic: Nr of passengers not match the selected ones  (Read 3270 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Nr of passengers not match the selected ones
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2022, 12:16:55 pm »
If the departure time is in the past, Fenix will also show wrong information, that's to be expected.

Not to many so yes, by restricting the time and making a clear warning about it, is the correct method to prevent user seeing wrong data. From GSX, at least.

So what purpose does the aircraft type check serve other than annoy users for a totally valid combination of aircraft+simbrief plan just because some icao code was put in differently?

Sorry, no. This is not open to discussion or negotiation. If the airplane type is wrong, and GSX would load a SimBrief plan for the wrong airplane, like a plan for a 747 into a 737, 100% of users will assume GSX "has a bug", trying to load 400 passengers on a 737.

The only thing we MIGHT do, is to allow users to override the icao type in the GSX airplane configuration, to fix airplanes that are not easy or can't be modified, but the icao type restriction will stay, and this is not going to change ever.

Copper

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2022, 12:21:52 pm »
If the departure time is in the past, Fenix will also show wrong information, that's to be expected.

Not to many so yes, by restricting the time and making a clear warning about it, is the correct method to prevent user seeing wrong data. From GSX, at least.
Flights can depart after their scheduled time. If I make a turnaround and prefile a new simbrief plan for the way back and then end up in a hold or divert, this is a totally valid scenario. Showing invalid simbrief data is incorrect in this situation since the flight just gets delayed, but the scheduled time of departure remains the old.

You could show a warning in your menu that the time is in the past (or that the aircraft type is wrong), but rejecting to load the simbrief data is the worst case for a user since GSX in that case just refuses to load potentially valid data.
Another option is to have a button "load simbrief despite possible issues" to force loading it. Once I'm in the cockpit I don't want to have hassle with Simbrief vs. GSX, I just want it to load the stuff I set up - it is the wrong time to just refuse loading it. Show me a warning and let me figure it out for the next flight, but for the sake of user experience, just allow me to load it nonetheless!

So what purpose does the aircraft type check serve other than annoy users for a totally valid combination of aircraft+simbrief plan just because some icao code was put in differently?

Sorry, no. This is not open to discussion or negotiation. If the airplane type is wrong, and GSX would load a SimBrief plan for the wrong airplane, like a plan for a 747 into a 737, 100% of users will assume GSX "has a bug", trying to load 400 passengers on a 737.
Just show a warning but load the simbrief data still. It would be clear to the users that there is an issue but they still could fly if they know what to expect?

But I understand that you don't accept this being an issue for more people than it would probably be if you lifted these limitations, so we have to live with that and let people report the issues over and over again with every new addon released :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 12:24:19 pm by Cipher »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2022, 01:04:19 pm »
Flights can depart after their scheduled time. If I make a turnaround and prefile a new simbrief plan for the way back and then end up in a hold or divert, this is a totally valid scenario. Showing invalid simbrief data is incorrect in this situation since the flight just gets delayed, but the scheduled time of departure remains the old.

That's a different issue, surely flight can depart late, but they usually are on a gate before their scheduled time, it's ok the VGDS would show a positive number during servicing, but it would be confusing if the time was already past even before service started.

But I understand that you don't accept this being an issue for more people than it would probably be if you lifted these limitations, so we have to live with that and let people report the issues over and over again with every new addon released

Most users don't even care to report anything, they will just assume the program has a bug and move on or, even worse, report of non-existent bugs on other site we can't even be present to explain so yes, we err on the side of caution and it's really simple:

Want to use SimBrief ?

Fill everything correctly, and be sure your airplane data is not wrong because, if there weren't any particularly popular airplanes with the wrong icao_type_designator set, we wouldn't even have this discussion to begin with and yes, the only PROPER way to "fix" this, is to allow user to override errors in other products, just like we need to do with airports.

Copper

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2022, 01:12:55 pm »

That's a different issue, surely flight can depart late, but they usually are on a gate before their scheduled time, it's ok the VGDS would show a positive number during servicing, but it would be confusing if the time was already past even before service started.
It's not a different issue, it's a valid scenario where GSX would refuse a totally valid Simbrief flight.
If you think that's ok, then so be it. We agree to disagree on that.

But I understand that you don't accept this being an issue for more people than it would probably be if you lifted these limitations, so we have to live with that and let people report the issues over and over again with every new addon released

Most users don't even care to report anything
They do care to report it like it is done here or on various discords where other people help figuring out the issue with the ICAO code.

they will just assume the program has a bug
No need to assume if the program shows a warning instead of an error, as I suggested.

Want to use SimBrief ?

Fill everything correctly, and be sure your airplane data is not wrong
Or open new threads over and over reporting simbrief issues, instead of having GSX to clearly state issues but still load data. In the case of this thread, the data was totally fine to load it, but GSX refused it just for the sake of you fearing more bug reports.

It's your product, your design choices, but by the number of such reports you might consider this being a pain in the a... for your customers.

Since this discussion doesn't seem to lead to anything helpful other than insisting that the current approach is the only valid, I'm out.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 01:15:17 pm by Cipher »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2022, 01:20:21 pm »
It's not a different issue, it's a valid scenario where GSX would refuse a totally valid Simbrief flight.
If you think that's ok, then so be it. We agree to disagree on that.

It is a different issue, that is far less common to be a problem.

They do care to report it like it is done here or on various discords where other people help figuring out the issue with the ICAO code.

Which of course will be much worse if GSX blindly loaded any flight plan for the wrong airplane. Much better not loading the plan and make an obviously warning ( which we have ), rather than have the program behaving strangely, like loading 400 passengers on a 737

It's your product, your design choices, but by the number of such reports you might consider this being a pain in the a... for your customers. Since this discussion doesn't seem to lead to anything helpful other than insisting that the current approach is the only valid, I'm out.

That's why I said every user has a different idea about which restrictions to place. The one on the icao type was particularly interesting but ONLY because PMDG made a minor "mistake" in their .cfg which will of course fixed in the next update, but it's not as if many users shared your opinion, many agree with our design choice and said it would have been wrong if GSX just took any flight plan in.

Copper

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2022, 01:38:04 pm »
many agree with our design choice and said it would have been wrong if GSX just took any flight plan in.
Where are those "many"?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2022, 01:55:01 pm »
Where are those "many"?

I really don't know what you are trying to achieve, spending my time using the search option for you, but nonetheless, here's you are:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,26962.msg177895.html#msg177895

Seriously? So If I plan a Simbrief flight for a 777-200ER, with 320 passengers and 148,000 of fuel on board and then start the flight with a 737... You don't think GSX should care? That makes no sense. Of course it matters, and of course GSX should check...

Another one, replying to another user "somiller", who was as insistent as you are trying to convince me GSX should load a flight plan for the wrong airplane:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,26962.30.html

This is my first post I just read this thread I cannot believe this customer somiller sometimes I guess you just can't fix stupid

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/623264-pmdg-737-800-is-now-available/?do=findComment&comment=4834061

Another one, also replying to the same somiller on Avsim, who's apparently on a personal crusade to supply GSX with a flightplane for the wrong airplane:

after Umberto declined to implement his really lousy idea, he got all angry and rude. If Umberto had implemented his idea, I can promise you that I would have been on FSDT's forum the very next day demanding that it be corrected. 'Hey Umberto, I started a flight with a ERJ-145 at the gate in Boise. GSX brought 6 bus loads of passengers 12 tons of cargo, 40 tons of fuel, and the VDGS says I'm flying from, NY to Taiwan. Why would GSX use a briefing for a 787 flight from NY to Taiwan that I created in Simbrief 3 months ago? WTH were you thinking? I know developers can have a hard time tying their shoes, but for crying out loud. Can you please make GSX stop using briefings that obviously weren't created for my ERJ-145 flight from Boise to Birmingham? Just have GSX look at the type of airplane we're using and have it make a reasonable guess at the number of pax for us.' .