Author Topic: Profiles not loading at first  (Read 3247 times)

m_j_lyons

Profiles not loading at first
« on: September 07, 2022, 09:20:21 pm »
Thankfully I'm not having any major problems but I have noticed that when i first load MSFS into an airport that has been customized with GSX Pro the changes are not loaded.  For example - I updated Lynchburg, VA (KLYH) and when I loaded MSFS and started at one of the updated parking areas all the equipment/vehicles were in their default locations.  When I clicked the "update this parking spot" (or whatever it's actually called) all the equipment jumped to where I had moved them.  It's almost like it didn't load the airport .ini file until I went to customize the airport again. 

Similarly I often have issues with the embedded door stairs on my CRJ - the pilots (first out the door to the plane) follow their proper path to the stairs and either yeet into the atmosphere or just hover at the top of the ramp and slowly back up.  If i restart Couatl everything works just fine...no yeeting or hovering.  Once again...almost like it's not loading the aircraft .ini file correctly at first. 

Is this a unique report? 

I've attached the log file (with a .txt extension) and the the CRJ aircraft config (with a .txt extension) just to cover the bases. 

I'm seeing in the log file that it's "not seeing doors" on the CRJ but they're there.  And it looks like it's using the default CRJ profile...i think.  Any thoughts?

nazgul

Re: Profiles not loading at first
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 02:30:37 pm »
when i first load MSFS into an airport that has been customized with GSX Pro the changes are not loaded.  For example - I updated Lynchburg, VA (KLYH) and when I loaded MSFS and started at one of the updated parking areas all the equipment/vehicles were in their default locations.  When I clicked the "update this parking spot" (or whatever it's actually called) all the equipment jumped to where I had moved them.  It's almost like it didn't load the airport .ini file until I went to customize the airport again.

It's the same for me!!
Any solution?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 02:49:52 pm »
I'm seeing in the log file that it's "not seeing doors" on the CRJ but they're there.  And it looks like it's using the default CRJ profile...i think.  Any thoughts?

It can't see doors since your are using the Marketplace version that has the aircraft.cfg file encrypted. And, you are using a custom profile, which shouldn't be required, since GSX comes already with an internal profile for the Aerosoft CRJ

Use the Reset button in the airplane configuration editor to undo all you modifications and test the internal configuration that comes with GSX.

Also, if would have been useful if you had some pointers about the scenery you are using and the custom profile as well.

m_j_lyons

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 05:20:46 pm »
Thanks, I'll erase my CRJ profile and just use the default - I noted that the default profile didn't appear to have the ground servicing points listed correctly (at least when GSX first came out) because the power cart would park directly in the center of the aircraft on the ground...that's what I was fixing with my customer CRJ profile. 

For the airport I used default MSFS scenery but I updated the AFCAD file to correct passenger terminal parking numbers - and I used GSX Pro to add custom pushbacks to each spot also. 

nazgul

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 12:50:51 pm »
in my case, the .ini profile created with gsx (so the airplane position in the chosen airport gate) will not load until from the gsx menu I do this :
0- Reposition Aircraft
1- Reposition here at current gate

each time I start MSFS it loads the default settings ignoring the .ini file
is there any way to load it when i start the simulator, without accomplishing the above procedure?
the airport is LIMF (Turin, Italy) the original one from MSFS.

PS: also the paths are correct, as attached image
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 01:07:50 pm by nazgul »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 06:24:52 pm »
in my case, the .ini profile created with gsx (so the airplane position in the chosen airport gate) will not load until from the gsx menu I do this :

0- Reposition Aircraft
1- Reposition here at current gate

each time I start MSFS it loads the default settings ignoring the .ini file

You are assuming that just because your airplane hasn't placed where you expect that GSX hasn't "loaded" the profile. It surely has, otherwise even the Reposition menu wouldn't work, if the file wasn't loaded. 

Your issue is just you are expecting when you start a Flight using the default World Map, the simulator could possibly know something about GSX and its profiles, which is not possible: when you use the default World Map to place the airplane, it will always use the default positioning, which is the only one known to the simulator.

GSX custom position is ONLY used by GSX, either from the Reposition menu, or using the "Warp Me here" option. This is explained in the GSX Manual, Page 38, where the Parking customization is discussed:

All your changes will be saved in the GSX parking customization .INI file, without touching the original scenery AFCAD file. Note that, this also means that all these changes will only influence GSX operations. You will not be able to affect, for example, the assignment of AI airplanes or the placement when you start a flight by clicking on a parking spot from the MSFS Main Menu.

nazgul

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2022, 12:30:11 pm »
thanks, all clear now.

Hanse

• Beta tester
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2022, 03:09:50 pm »
"GSX custom position is ONLY used by GSX, either from the Reposition menu, or using the "Warp Me here" option."

But when GSX starts it knows the exact position of the plane and reads the data p.e. I immediately get a warning like "The gate is too small for your aircraft". Then why it is not automatically loading the "customization" for this position? Why I have to use the Reposition menu to load the customization?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2022, 03:13:49 pm »
Then why it is not automatically loading the "customization" for this position? Why I have to use the Reposition menu to load the customization?

As I've said, the customization HAS been loaded, it's just that, by design, GSX doesn't move the airplane on its own, unless you explicitly ask for it, because moving the airplane might have unforeseen effects and might confuse users that saved a flight in a position, only to have GSX move the airplane without any consent, just because there's a profile loaded. We try to be less intrusive as possible with the normal operations.

Hanse

• Beta tester
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2022, 05:44:08 pm »
Umberto,

I do not agree and see no reason why a user who created a position customization profile should not want it to be automatically loaded. It is not only the "positioning of the plane" but also all the other settings he made. Currently he first has to reposition the plane (one function) and then to select one of the other functions (like operating jetways) e.g. a second function so that his complete customization will be loaded.

I believe you should weigh between "less intrusive" and "logic and easy handling". For me the result is clear because I prefer a simple and logic handling. I am also wondering why your arguments are only valid for the parking position customization and not for the plane customization because the airplane profile always is automatically loaded.   
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 06:47:26 pm by Hanse »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2022, 11:03:58 am »
I do not agree and see no reason why a user who created a position customization profile should not want it to be automatically loaded.

The profile IS automatically loaded, no question about it.

It is not only the "positioning of the plane" but also all the other settings he made. Currently he first has to reposition the plane (one function) and then to select one of the other functions (like operating jetways) e.g. a second function so that his complete customization will be loaded.

I think you are confusing things a bit here. As I've said, the profile HAS been already loaded but, of course, being a "GSX profile", you must first DO something with GSX in order to see its EFFECTS!

I can see where the confusion is: you are probably looking at the "Airport Services" vehicles, which are the ones automatically placed on parking spots by the simulator, even before any service starts. These have been *replaced* by GSX too, so they *look* like GSX vehicles, but in fact are just default Ground vehicles that happen to have their models replaced by GSX vehicles.

That's why you probably think the "profiles hasn't loaded", because before you can see the EFFECT of, for example, a change in "GSX" vehicles starting positions, you must first call GSX, but that's not what's really happening, what is really happening is:

- When you start a flight on an airport, the default Airport Services vehicles ( that looks like GSX ones ) starts in their default positions, because it's MSFS itslef that places them, and MSFS cannot possibly know about your custom GSX profile.

- When you call GSX and do any operation, the default vehicles ( that looks like GSX ones ) will be replaced by *proper* GSX vehicles ( = controlled by GSX ), according to the profile, that's why you think the profile is being loaded now, but it's not, the profile IS loaded as soon you enter the airport, but since it won't affect anything other than GSX vehicles, you won't SEE its EFFECT unless you do something with GSX.

Well, that's not 100% accurate, if we wanted to be precise, because there is a thing that will start automatically without calling any GSX vehicles, and are the "Airport Walkers" custom paths, those will start automatically as soon you enter the airport, because they are not tied to any GSX service, they just appear.

m_j_lyons

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2022, 04:33:54 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong - but I believe you can set GSX to automatically call fuel and/or catering at startup - which would then cause the execution of the default vehicle swapping as described above.  Now you may not want that due to the time involved in ground vehicle movements at some airports...but that would be one way to get the profile "to automatically activate"...and before you shoot me in the head - I do understand that the profile has loaded if you have the option to do anything at an airport. 

Just food for thought. 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2022, 09:47:06 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong - but I believe you can set GSX to automatically call fuel and/or catering at startup -

No, that's not what that option does. GSX never *starts* anything automatically, it's always you starting some service, the auto servicing option only CONTINUES automatically when the next service after you start with one so, for example, if you start with Boarding, in auto mode it will then call Catering and Refueling in sequence.

Hanse

• Beta tester
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2022, 10:27:28 am »
Umberto,  Thanks for the explanations what GSX automatically does. But I still do not understand, why I manually have to open the GSX menu, then to reposition the plane and to call one function to load the customized parking stand e.g. three steps to do before I can really start. To me this is the same as if in MSFS I first have to load the game,  then can select a position and after it is loaded I am able to select a plane. I still believe you can make GSX mord user friendly and intuitive in its handling.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2022, 10:40:29 am »
I still do not understand, why I manually have to open the GSX menu, then to reposition the plane and to call one function to load the customized parking stand

I've explained this so many different ways, that I really don't know how I could explained it any differently, let's try again:

- When you start a flight, the vehicles you see at the stand are NOT GSX vehicles!! They are default Airport vehicles that *happens* to look like GSX ones, because their models have been replaced by GSX, but they are *default* vehicles that don't know anything about the GSX profile, they are placed that way by the simulator itself.

- Same for your starting position: if you start a flight by clicking on the World map in the Main Menu, MSFS doesn't know anything about your profile, so the plane will be placed according to MSFS own rules because, again, the simulator doesn't know what a GSX profile is.

What you are really asking here, is that GSX should automatically intercept when the airplane has been positioned on a gate, then forcefully "move it" without your consent, and automatically remove all the default ground vehicles, and this would be very risky from many different reasons, perhaps the airplane is performing some kind of initialization sequence that might be disrupted if we did that automatically, or it might come with its own vehicles ( = PMDG ) that might conflict with GSX ones, so we should first remove them before we can add the GSX vehicles there and, maybe, you might want to decide that this time, you want to use the airplane own vehicles for a change, or you want to use the default ground vehicles for a change.

Maybe you have another product that has another set of default ground vehicle replacement and maybe you used the GSX Config panel to exclude that airport from GSX Airport Service, because on *that* airport, you like those alternative default ground vehicles instead of GSX's.

See how easy something you apparently think it's "easy" or "user friendly", becomes immediately complex and possibly at risk of issues/bugs, if you don't take everything into account ?

That's why anything that happens in GSX, only happens following your conscious decision to start GSX, not automatically.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 10:43:24 am by virtuali »