Author Topic: Offline installer. 02/09/2022  (Read 1527 times)

Grant1234

Offline installer. 02/09/2022
« on: September 04, 2022, 01:09:44 pm »
I see there is a new offline installer put out on 2nd Sept. Am i right in saying if i run this installer and do nothing else it updates GSX pro to latest version? The reason I ask is that I understood from Umberto that if GSX Pro is up to date the FSDT installer will not download more files as it is updated via the offline installer, however after I update with the offline installer the FSDT installer still goes into an endless update loop.

Sorry for being a bit thick here.

I don't want or need a long answer just please tell me that once updated with the offline installer I'm good to go.

Grant Galloway

Phil7789

Re: Offline installer. 02/09/2022
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 01:56:10 pm »
Constant updates means that your local node isn't up to date.

I usually update twice with the online installer and if I download files on the second attempt I know that my node is outdated (which unfortunately it still is)
The I use the offline installer and try again on the next published update.

rogermoore

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 02:29:17 pm »
do i have to keep downloading the offline installer?  if i run the updater immediately after downflowing the offline installer it still downloads loads of files over and over.  is this because the servers are behind? in which case doesn't the updater check versions before downloading OOD files?

Grant1234

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 09:19:57 am »
Thanks for replies, it's all a bit confusing. I'll keep an eye on the offline update post and not touch the fsdt installer in future.

One would think it would have been all sorted out by now.

Grant Galloway

rogermoore

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 10:20:09 am »
complete the customer satisfaction survey 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 01:54:44 pm »
do i have to keep downloading the offline installer?  if i run the updater immediately after downflowing the offline installer it still downloads loads of files over and over.  is this because the servers are behind?

Please clarify what do you mean with "loads of files over and over".

As explained in other posts, SOME files ARE supposed to be downloaded "over and over", and those are the two ZIP files for the Airport Services and the Jetways Sceneries, those are always downloaded, because we found it was faster to just download them then checking each file one by one on your system to see which one are outdated.

If you see OTHER files downloaded over and over, that seems to indicate a problem with your cloudflare node and, as clearly indicated in the first post here, that will tell you need to use the Offline Installer, until you node catches up.

in which case doesn't the updater check versions before downloading OOD files?

This seems to be a difficult concept to graps:

The Live Updater is working perfectly and it ALWAYS check your local files against the one on the server so, fact is trying to downloaded them again "over and over", it's because it KNOWS your files are outdated, so it tries to download the latest version. The problem is the cloudflare node that doesn't serve the latest version, because it doesn't have it yet, since not doing what is supposed to do: download it from our own server and cache it for the next user.

We contacted Cloudflare support about this, they first replied after 5 days and, from their reply, I gathered their caching/purge system wasn't really designed to handle a release with more than 25.000 files that were supposed to be updated worldwide all at the same time. After a few email exchanges with support, they published this service note:

https://www.cloudflarestatus.com/incidents/p3dg0d2gyrjd

Which seems to indicate that yes, they DID had a problem with getting updated files in some regions, and have released a fix but, it's likely the refresh in the affected areas would start only after this fix, not counting the past 12 days after GSX release.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 01:58:24 pm by virtuali »