Author Topic: Serial activation  (Read 3361 times)

pkfsd

Serial activation
« on: February 02, 2010, 09:42:54 pm »
Hello,

I apologize if this has been asked before , but I did not find anything that answers my following question.

When I reinstall the scenery on the same PC and hardware I can use the reg file which was created during the previous installation, without "loosing" one of the 6 activations, is that correct?

I reinstalled the sceneries(KFLL,KLAS,KJFK and LSGG) on the same PC(and therefore hardware) some days ago, but did not use the reg file of the previous installation(stupid me).
Instead I entered the key again, which was not necessary , because I could have used the reg file.

My question is now, do I "loose" an activation the way I did it, because I did not change hardware. So does the bglmanx.dll(or whatever is there) recognize that it is the same PC?

I am just asking , because I just forgot to use the regfile and that would be stupid for me if I "lost" an activation, because of my fault.

That is just not getting clear to me out of the FAQs , so that is why I asked.

Thank you very much,

Phil

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Serial activation
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 08:47:15 am »
When I reinstall the scenery on the same PC and hardware I can use the reg file which was created during the previous installation, without "loosing" one of the 6 activations, is that correct?

No. The .REG file is not so important. It's one and only purpose, is to save you from typing the Serial manually in the "Register Serial" box, and that's it.

Whether you type a Serial manually, or use the .REG file to insert it in the registry for you, it doesn't change anything with regard to activation.

I reinstalled the sceneries(KFLL,KLAS,KJFK and LSGG) on the same PC(and therefore hardware) some days ago, but did not use the reg file of the previous installation(stupid me).
Instead I entered the key again, which was not necessary , because I could have used the reg file.

As I've said, the only consequence of not having used the .REG file, is that you had to type the Serial Numbers manually.

My question is now, do I "loose" an activation the way I did it, because I did not change hardware. So does the bglmanx.dll(or whatever is there) recognize that it is the same PC?

It's not bglmanx.dll that check the activation, but it's the Esellerate dll. However, this is not really important. The only way to "lose" an activation, is to change hardware.

And not any hardware: it has to be a major hardware component, like the mainboard or the CPU, or the boot hard drive. Adding RAM, changing a videocard, adding an hard drive, doesn't count as major hardware changes.

That is just not getting clear to me out of the FAQs , so that is why I asked.

On the Installation manual ( fsdt_install_guide.pdf ), the purpose of the .REG file is explained at Page 7.

Activation is discussed at Page 10 and, as explained there, the only way to consume an activation is to change major hardware components so, you can assume that, everything you do without changing major hardware components, will not consume one activation.

And note that, this is valid even if you lose BOTH the Serial Number AND the local "cache" of the activation, which is used in order not to force you to be constantly connected to the internet to verify the activation each time you start FSX.

Should you lose both informations, for any reason (like a problem with registry cleaners, for example), even if you need to re-type your Serial Number and have the program going online again to verify your serial, it will NOT consume an activation, if you hardware hasn't changed.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 06:06:43 am by virtuali »

pkfsd

Re: Serial activation
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 10:03:18 pm »
Thank you ver much for your answer, now everything is clear to me!

I also will have a look into the manual again.

I really thought that changing RAM or so is also counting as a hardware change.

So thanks again for explaining,

Phil