Author Topic: Central thread for updates / info  (Read 2760 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Central thread for updates / info
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2022, 01:46:16 pm »
The most convoluted update process known to man! Congrats!

The most simple update process known to man, when servers are working. And the most reliable when they aren't.

Because it KNOWS the servers are not serving the correct version. If it didn't, and it would "just" accept what's coming from the server, you wouldn't even KNOW a file you downloaded is not correct. Instead, now you know, and you can use the Offline installer.

Commander_KK

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2022, 04:28:49 pm »
Hi, I still have problems to understand. I downloaded the "offline Installer" via mediafire. "Addon Manager". I install it and it copies files in the "programm files/Addon Manager" folder. But where is the Offline Installer now?
I only have FSDT Installer and FSDT Live Update. And I should first start the offline installer and then the Live Update/Installer. And is there a version number somewhere at my installation so I can see I am on the latest update?

Greetings
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 04:38:08 pm by Commander_KK »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2022, 05:30:27 pm »
But where is the Offline Installer now?

It's where you downloaded it. The Offline installer will be only useful until the next update, where we'll update the offline installer again.

A reason for having to run it again, is if you start the Live Update after it, and you notice that it continue to download the *SAME* files over and over, if you launch twice in a row. That will tell you your local node is not updated yet, so you need to run the Offline installer again, and nothing else.

Kolo

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2022, 06:15:26 pm »
What is that ?

I`ve deinstalled the stuff after many issues with GSX PRO and now I reinstall this program. But the update installer run and run.
I spent 1 hour and have only unti now
Performing step 1of 37 GSXPRO  2%
below that line   13 %   - increase verry slow....?

I repeat : 1 hour and 10 Minutes. My Internet connection ist  500 MBIT.... >:(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2022, 06:19:13 pm »
Please clarify, has the installer already passed the initial download and install step, so it's just updating now ? Was the initial download slow as well ?

Kolo

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2022, 06:26:46 pm »
Yes, after reinstallation I´ve click "...apdate all"   and now after 1,5 h   14%  in row below "perfoming step 1 of 37 " with 2% only

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2022, 06:37:57 pm »
Yes, after reinstallation I´ve click "...apdate all"   and now after 1,5 h   14%  in row below "perfoming step 1 of 37 " with 2% only

You can safely abort, it will continue from where it was left. Try this:

- Configure the antivirus and add the whole Addon Manager folder to the Exclusions.

- Restart Windows

- Restart the updater again.

If that doesn't work, try with a VPN, this one is very good and it's free:

https://protonvpn.com/

Commander_KK

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2022, 07:42:54 am »
Just to get it.

after I see there is an update, I download the offline installer from mediafire and install it.
then I run the FSDT Installer and it installs the update.
after that I run the FSDT Installer again and when it downloads nothing new I am fine and no more need for the offline Installer
but if it downloads the same files again I have to use the offline installer again when the next update arrives.

is it correct?

JetNoise

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2022, 09:09:52 am »
1. I checked the website here for the date of the offline installer. I realized that there is an update mentioned from 30.08.2022.  2. I run the FSDT Updater and it downloads a lot of stuff, because it also lists some UKR textures, I assume it is the update mentioned here from 30.08.

The OFFLINE installer doesn't contain everything. It would be an amazing feat if a 120MB installer could contain everything that comes in about 4-5GB of stuff, it only contains the crucial files that might cause a problem if missing, like code and sounds.

New models and liveries (like Ukranian ones ) are only online so yes, it was entirely normal that, after running the Offline installer, the Live Update downloaded something that's just not there in the Offline installer.

Now you come and tell me, that as long as FSDT Updater does NOT UPDATE anything, I am fine and I do not need the offline installer. What?

You still don't see to get it. I said, if you run the FSDT Updater once, it might download something (which in your case was the extra operators) but then, if you run it again, and you see it's still downloading again the same files, over and over, there you know you have a problem.

I don't know how better I can explain it, let's try a different approach:

- Run the Offline Installer

- Run the Live Update

- Run the Live Update AGAIN. Is still download the same things ? If yes, your local node is not updated, it not, you are fine.

And here is where my problem starts (and maybe for all the others too) ...

If i had started with the OFFLINE installer (latest) it does not contain all the files ...
If i than run the Live Updater it may or maynot "UPDATE" files ...
If it does that over and over, there is a problem (with the node) ...
BUT it did download something and overwrites files !
How can I tell which version i have NOW ? (i can see file sizes change, esp. noticed for the couatl stuff)
Where to go from here ? Start with the OFFLINE installer again ??!!

Helpful would be a version.txt for the OFFLINE ADDON Manager and the "NODE" sided files. Or some other way to tell the version !!

Oliver

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2022, 12:31:06 pm »
And here is where my problem starts (and maybe for all the others too) ...If i had started with the OFFLINE installer (latest) it does not contain all the files ...

The only thing that should have been made more clear is that:

- The offline installer is recompiled and reuploaded EACH TIME we post something on Live Update. Something related to the program code, not extras like new liveries, which were *never* online before so, they couldn't possibly be affected by the "outdated" node issue.

- This goes without saying, each time you see an update in the Release notes or the Sticky thread about the Offline installer, means you must download it again.

So yes, the Offline installer DOES contain the latest files, but you must download it again when we release something new on Live Update.

JetNoise

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2022, 03:50:46 pm »
And here is where my problem starts (and maybe for all the others too) ...If i had started with the OFFLINE installer (latest) it does not contain all the files ...

The only thing that should have been made more clear is that:

- The offline installer is recompiled and reuploaded EACH TIME we post something on Live Update. Something related to the program code, not extras like new liveries, which were *never* online before so, they couldn't possibly be affected by the "outdated" node issue.

- This goes without saying, each time you see an update in the Release notes or the Sticky thread about the Offline installer, means you must download it again.

So yes, the Offline installer DOES contain the latest files, but you must download it again when we release something new on Live Update.

Dear Umberto,

this is all fully understood.

My point is, IF i run the live updater AND the NODE is not updated to the last version (repeatingly downloading files)   it WILL leave the Install with posiibly outdated / old / mixed files,

Isn't it ?   

At least thats what i am seeing if i compare a UPDATED Addon Manager Folder (from an OFFLINE ADDON MANAGER install)   and the LIVE UPDATE version (from a not updated NODE)

I don't know, if this is clear now.

BTW the NODE(s) for Germany seems to be behind again !

I'd say, it is recomended to update ONLY via the OFFLINE Addon Manager and don't touch the LIVE Updater until this situation is sorted !!
NODE issues since day one  >:(

Oliver

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2022, 03:57:50 pm »
My point is, IF i run the live updater AND the NODE is not updated to the last version (repeatingly downloading files)   it WILL leave the Install with posiibly outdated / old / mixed files,

That's precisely why, if you notice that, you just run the Offline installer again, which includes a complete set of files which are all coherent between each other.

That implies you re-download the offline installer when you know we released a Live Update you can't get from...Live Update.