Author Topic: Eternal loading spinner  (Read 3403 times)

FilbertFlies

• FilbertFlies
Eternal loading spinner
« on: August 29, 2022, 07:07:37 pm »
Since yesterday, I have had an eternal loading spinner on opening the GSX menu. I have left it a full ten minutes and the menu never appears. I have:

• restarted Couatl via the menu
  • force-quit and restarted Couatl
  • uninstalled GSX, uninstalled the installer, deleted the Addon Manager folder, reinstalled the Addon Manager, reinstalled GSX (which took about 2 hours), then installed using the latest offline installer

None of this has worked. What now?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Eternal loading spinner
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 07:09:24 pm »
The spinner will never take more than 5-6 seconds, at most, no use waiting more than that. Please post your startup log according to the sticky thread here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,26759.0.html

FilbertFlies

• FilbertFlies
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 07:13:41 pm »
Log file as requested.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 07:19:36 pm »
Your log seems to indicate you must have unlinked or disabled at least one of the two gsx packages from the Community folder, or the drive itself where the Community folder is can't be accessed.

This line here:

INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE \\?\E:\MSFS Data\Community\fsdreamteam-gsx-world-of-jetways\*

Reports is a Windows error indicating some kind of problem, possibly the whole folder missing. There supposed to be a Symbolic link there.

FilbertFlies

• FilbertFlies
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 07:30:50 pm »
The symlink is there, but the folder it refers to doesn't appear to be.

It should be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\MSFS, alongside fsdreamteam-gsx-pro right? It's not for some reason.

FilbertFlies

• FilbertFlies
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 07:34:15 pm »
Updating in the FSDT Universal Installer doesn't put it there, nor does re-running the offline installer from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NU20pW0twKl_KptypNFZre9nO5h0Q8F2/view

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 07:51:09 pm »
Updating in the FSDT Universal Installer doesn't put it there

That's normal, if the folder is not even there, the updater won't try to update it.

nor does re-running the offline installer

That's normal too, because the offline installer installs only the latest code, but it can't repair an entire package missing (it's several GB). You should do a complete reinstall, as explained here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,26933.0.html

FilbertFlies

• FilbertFlies
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2022, 08:14:05 pm »
Ok. I've spent about 6 hours on this today, including doing a re-install following instructions you previously published which mentioned deleting the Addon Manager folder but which did not mention %APPDATA%\VIRTUALI\PackagesCache.

Since getting the release build, I would estimate I have spent somewhere in the region of 15 hours trying to fix various problems with GSX.

I do not understand how a folder can suddenly be removed from a working installation. I do not understand why I have had to do so many reinstalls. I do not understand why my P3D version is still broken, with jetways disappearing as soon as GSX activates. I do not understand why you can't just release a single installer, with everything in it (or, better still, one installer for MSFS and one for P3D) that makes the product work.

I cannot face deleting everything again and waiting another 2-3 hours for the installer to redownload everything. I'm just going to uninstall it for now and come back to it another day when I have more patience.

I appreciate your timely help with the matter but, honestly, I'm totally spent.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2022, 08:35:30 pm »
Ok. I've spent about 6 hours on this today, including doing a re-install following instructions you previously published which mentioned deleting the Addon Manager folder but which did not mention %APPDATA%\VIRTUALI\PackagesCache.

That's not a normal procedure, it's only something it can be done to be absolutely sure you haven't got a bad download originally. You packages might have been fine, maybe the problem was just the removed folder

Since getting the release build, I would estimate I have spent somewhere in the region of 15 hours trying to fix various problems with GSX.

And you got here, posted at 7:07, I replied 2 minutes later, and gave you a solution already.

I do not understand how a folder can suddenly be removed from a working installation.

I don't understand it either.  If it worked before, I assure you we don't remove them, unless you go through the installer, select uninstall, and when asked if you want to Uninstall or just Unlink, confirm the uninstall,

I do not understand why I have had to do so many reinstalls.

You never said you had to do many reinstalls, for MSFS, this is the first time you posted something about issues in MSFS.

I do not understand why my P3D version is still broken, with jetways disappearing as soon as GSX activates.

Could you you tried to revert to a previous P3D version ? The issue with 3rd party SODE jetway disappearing when activating GSX has been fixed.

I do not understand why you can't just release a single installer, with everything in it (or, better still, one installer for MSFS and one for P3D) that makes the product work.

Because our installer always worked so far. Releasing a single installer, if the real cause are servers overloaded and serving the wrong stuff, would make anything worse, because instead of trying to fix single files, we'd had to deal with redownloading several GB worth of files, the bigger they are, the bigger the risk.

It's just that we couldn't even remotely anticipate how successfully GSX would have been, that could put so much stress even on cloudflare itself. I can see right now, looking at the bandwidth monitor on our origin server, that nodes are *still* replicating files, right now.

I cannot face deleting everything again and waiting another 2-3 hours for the installer to redownload everything.

And that's the whole point of the PackageCache: the question you had if you want to keep the installation files ? That's the package cache. If you got a good download of these files ( and there will be plenty of warning if you didn't ), as long as they are in the Package cache, the installation woulndn't "download everything", only the files which have been updated since the last time you downloaded the Packages Cache.

Again, I told you to remove them, to be absolutely sure you didn't get a bad download initially.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 08:39:06 pm by virtuali »

FilbertFlies

• FilbertFlies
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2022, 09:52:06 pm »
And you got here, posted at 7:07, I replied 2 minutes later, and gave you a solution already.

Yes, as I said, I do appreciate the speed of your reply.

You never said you had to do many reinstalls, for MSFS, this is the first time you posted something about issues in MSFS.

Yes, I've managed to fix previous issues by following your instructions to others and tips from friends, many of which involved full reinstalls.

Could you you tried to revert to a previous P3D version ? The issue with 3rd party SODE jetway disappearing when activating GSX has been fixed.

I don't think so, but once I've got the MSFS version working, I'll have another go at installing the P3D one.

Because our installer always worked so far.

With respect, I would say the number of support questions on here and in the P3D forum suggest that it hasn't worked particularly well so far.

If you got a good download of these files ( and there will be plenty of warning if you didn't ), as long as they are in the Package cache, the installation woulndn't "download everything"

As I said, today's reinstall via the FSDT installer took 2-3 hours. I don't know why. I do have files in PackagesCache, although these are from 16th August, which I suspect might be at the root of my problems. There was no warning about not having a good download though.

Again, I told you to remove them, to be absolutely sure you didn't get a bad download initially.

I shall. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Thanks again for the prompt support. It's just been a really trying few weeks with MSFS & GSX.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2022, 09:59:28 pm »
With respect, I would say the number of support questions on here and in the P3D forum suggest that it hasn't worked particularly well so far.

That's because it was getting the wrong download from cloudflare, so we couldn't be sure what was being downloaded. If we didn't had cloudflare caching, our server would have just crashed 10 seconds after we were online, so nobody would have been able to download *anything*.

Once we realized the cloudflare update speed would have been slower than usual, we made the offline installer available.

As I said, today's reinstall via the FSDT installer took 2-3 hours. I don't know why. I do have files in PackagesCache, although these are from 16th August, which I suspect might be at the root of my problems. There was no warning about not having a good download though.

That's because in a first version of the installer, if the large ZIP files had a problem, we just logged the error in the small window, and continue downloading because, even a corrupted ZIP would still work, since it would have downloaded the missing files anyway, that's the "hours long" process you have experienced. Again, it never happened before that users had corrupted initial downloads of the ZIP files, but it never happened before we had SO MUCH traffic.

The current version of the installer has plenty of warnings if something goes wrong in the initial download, but since you already had your Packages downloaded, you couldn't see any, since it would have proceeded directly on the next step.

FilbertFlies

• FilbertFlies
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2022, 11:59:11 pm »
Okay, I have now reinstalled following the instructions you linked to:

- Uninstall GSX, and confirm to uninstall it, not just unlink it.

- Remove this folder %APPDATA%\VIRTUALI\PackagesCache  ( if you have it )

- Reinstall GSX, it will redownload everything from scratch.

I figured it would be good to get this sorted before bed.

It appeared to reinstall correctly, downloading the large zip files. I started the sim, but I still just have the spinner when opening the menu. I updated. No change. I then installed the offline installer over the top. No change.

All the folders in C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\MSFS\fsdreamteam-gsx-pro and C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\MSFS\fsdreamteam-gsx-world-of-jetways have the date and time I installed them. There is no longer a PackagesCache folder in %APPDATA%\VIRTUALI\

Latest log attached. What next?

FilbertFlies

• FilbertFlies
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2022, 12:56:02 am »
Zipped the wrong file. Log attached here.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2022, 01:25:17 am »
The log shows you disabled GSX

"Addon GSX has been disabled by CouatlAddons.ini file"

FilbertFlies

• FilbertFlies
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2022, 08:53:05 am »
The log shows you disabled GSX

I didn't. I wouldn't even know how to disable it. How do I enable it?