Author Topic: Disable the talking head  (Read 895 times)

joona_

Disable the talking head
« on: August 27, 2022, 11:08:16 am »
How can I disable the woman explaining to me what is happening? I even tried to turn off the UI sounds for GSX yet I hear her in the background.

"Boarding requested."

"There are no passenger stairs. You will not see passengers visually"

"Fuel truck is on the way."

And so on. Please, either disable this or at least give us an option to disable it. This feature is ridiculous.

Thanks-

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Disable the talking head
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 11:14:24 am »
The feature is not obviously "ridiculous", it's made for a very sound reason, which is the inability to display any text messages when the Toolbar icon is not active so, if a user closed the menu, it didn't get *any* feedback (text or audio) from GSX, and that might be very confusing, especially for new users, who might assume GSX has a "bug" and it seems "stuck", but only because it's waiting for some action, with no way for the user to know that.

We'll add an option to disable it, but I think it should always play the voice, when the toolbar icon is not active because, again, there would be no other way to communicate with the user in that case, the only alternative would be a non-standard overlaid message, which won't work in VR, for example.

joona_

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 11:18:11 am »
For me its ridiculous because I dont want to hear it and I cant disable it and it's telling me things I'm not interested in. In the P3D version, there was the "beep" sound whenever GSX wanted me to do something. Then I knew to check the GSX menu.

But if you'll add the option to disable it, then I will definitely thank you for that.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 11:28:50 am »
For me its ridiculous because I dont want to hear it and I cant disable it and it's telling me things I'm not interested in.

Which is way, I said we'll add it as an option. We cannot possibly know which users would find it useless and which users would assume GSX but, on initial release, with so many NEW users that never used GSX before, it was best to err on the side of caution, and be sure they first get to know how GSX works, and then we can add options that can potentially make it more obscure.

In the P3D version, there was the "beep" sound whenever GSX wanted me to do something. Then I knew to check the GSX menu.

No, it wasn't "just" a beep, it was always a beep+text message, unless you turned Verbosity all way down. Again, not being able to be in full control of what is displayed, means the Verbosity slider is not really controlling the messages, it only controls them "when the toolbar is active".

joona_

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 11:36:24 am »
No, it wasn't "just" a beep, it was always a beep+text message, unless you turned Verbosity all way down. Again, not being able to be in full control of what is displayed, means the Verbosity slider is not really controlling the messages, it only controls them "when the toolbar is active".

Turning it off allowed me to enjoy the sim without any text notifications but whenever I heard the beep, I could check what it wanted me to do. Yes, some people like to see notifications for everything, even for weather changes. I rather enjoy the sim and hide all the notifications. Thus the beep worked perfectly.