Author Topic: You can't just hold down arrow keys when editing?  (Read 1638 times)

airbadger

You can't just hold down arrow keys when editing?
« on: August 23, 2022, 02:09:01 pm »
Am I right in thinking you can't just hold down the arrow keys when moving objects? Is there any chance that could be changed in the future?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: You can't just hold down arrow keys when editing?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 02:18:26 pm »
The keyboard handling is done by MSFS entirely outside our control, we just ask for a key, and the sim will simply call us back asking to do something if the key has been pressed. That's how Simconnect works so, if the simulator itself doesn't allow auto-repeat for key events sent back to a Simconnect app, there's nothing we can do from the app itself to prevent this.

That's why, in P3D, we got auto-repeat "for free", without doing any extra coding, because Simconnect there behaves differently, and it *does* auto-repeats calls when we ask for a key.

The only possible theoretical way to fix this ( other than MS/Asobo fixing or maybe adding some kind of flag to ask for auto-repeat ) would be making a very dangerous and invasive procedure called "global hook", that is intercepting keys on the whole Windows messaging queue, something that audio chat product usually do, for example to let you take a call by pushing a button on headphone even when you are inside another program. This method is so invasive, that most antivirus flags it as dangerous, unless you are in a special whitelist of popular apps, like Skype, Discord, Teamviewer, etc. this assuming the Microsoft own security on MSFS wouldn't block it anyway, because it's usually assumed to be a technique used when cheating in games.

So, we must work with what we have, to make a clean and safe and compliant Simconnect app.

airbadger

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 02:22:13 pm »
Bummer, I figured it was a limitation of the sim. Maybe you could add another key, like ALT, that makes even larger movements than the shift key. I bring this up because I was editing a parking spot that was way out of position and required a crazy number of taps on the arrow key to get it into the right spot, even with shift.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 02:27:05 pm »
I bring this up because I was editing a parking spot that was way out of position and required a crazy number of taps on the arrow key to get it into the right spot, even with shift.

Maybe it might be worth checking why you needed to move a parking so far, because we tuned the speed based on what *normally* you are supposed to do, very small fixes to correct very small misalignments between the airport data and the visual ground textures, which sometimes happen, but they are usually minor.

Was GSX reading the wrong airport file, maybe ?

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 02:52:16 pm »
Large distance movement should be added, otherwise it's really slow

And there is no way to use several helipads at the same time :-X

airbadger

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 02:53:16 pm »
I bring this up because I was editing a parking spot that was way out of position and required a crazy number of taps on the arrow key to get it into the right spot, even with shift.

Maybe it might be worth checking why you needed to move a parking so far, because we tuned the speed based on what *normally* you are supposed to do, very small fixes to correct very small misalignments between the airport data and the visual ground textures, which sometimes happen, but they are usually minor.

I don't know, it was just the first airport I went to - Drzewieck's Krakow EPKK if it matters.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2022, 02:58:11 pm »
And there is no way to use several helipads at the same time

What do you mean ? GSX doesn't have any services for helicopters so, why you need to edit an existing helipad ?

Phil7789

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2022, 05:08:38 pm »

I'm not entirely sure, but I have the same problem as GSX moves the plane back when entering editing mode.
I then have to move it back to its original position. For Munich (EDDM) the VDGS are located at the terminal building which is quite far away from the planes position (not many airports will have this layout I guess, so it's kind of a edge case)

Parking after starting a flight:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G6FfiXEfrgpNzbX5vcoLJbg1PEs8EDnl/view?usp=sharing

Parking after entering GSX edit mode
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TiJbkmCLYsfaUqXp4b2l3N3pR8PIJAvS/view?usp=sharing

Oh and this airport is in the community folder not from the marketplace, GSX is reading the correct file according to the edit window.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 10:30:39 pm »
That looks like a normal difference of interpretation between the MSFS default starting position and GSX own, but it's not as if the gate was so far away that it would took too long to reposition it, do you still find you need to many keystokes even with Shift-arrow pressed ?

airbadger

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2022, 04:27:55 am »
do you still find you need to many keystokes even with Shift-arrow pressed ?

Absolutely. It would be extremely helpful to have a key combo that makes larger jumps, so there's basically three speeds.

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2022, 06:51:48 am »
And there is no way to use several helipads at the same time

What do you mean ? GSX doesn't have any services for helicopters so, why you need to edit an existing helipad ?

sorry i can only translate i mean general parking