Author Topic: Why are loading carts without luggage  (Read 4127 times)

WebMaximus

Re: Why are loading carts without luggage
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2022, 11:08:15 am »
I still fully don't understand this LOD optimization for bags. And how it's there to preserve a good FPS. Again based on how you for instance can see more than 100 passengers walking from a terminal to the aircraft without any issues. At least over here.

Would be nice being able to see all bags without having to edit cfg files manually.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2022, 12:58:11 pm »
Here you gave the trick to avoid the hot brake problem with the Fenix I still use today, because ONLY the tug with the yellow bar cause the problem.

That's not required anymore, because Fenix have extra code in the meantime to prevent the message, and as far as I know, following users reports, it only happens now when FSRealistic "Ambient Wind" function is enabled, which causes the wheels to spin, because when the front gear is raised, the front wheel is free to move.

Disabling the Towbarless truck was just a temporary workaround while waiting for Fenix to add code to recognize GSX pushing.

ACSoft

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2022, 08:07:11 pm »
Sorry Uberto, but the last tests I made with the Fenix, using the tug with the yellow bar, still had the hot brake problem and I made these tests just after having installed the last Fenix version. Moreover, my ascertainments with these tests, are in contradiction with what you say about FSRealistic. As far as I know, with the tug with the bar, the wheel is always on the ground, if FSRealistic ambient wind would make the wheel to turn, it should happen with the other tug, which raise the wheel ! But, in my case, it never happen with this tug and I use FSRealistic !

And again, you do not comment my idea of using only closed cart, which was what I was expecting from you, in fact !

OK, forget it, I am fed up of this !

Have a nice day !
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 08:22:07 pm by ACSoft »

WebMaximus

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2022, 07:10:42 pm »
I still fully don't understand this LOD optimization for bags. And how it's there to preserve a good FPS. Again based on how you for instance can see more than 100 passengers walking from a terminal to the aircraft without any issues. At least over here.

Would be nice being able to see all bags without having to edit cfg files manually.

Speaking of options, would it be possible to add an option to GSX Pro where users can choose for themselves what level of LOD optimization they want for the bags?

I've been trying to use the tip suggested before to adjust the LOD value in UserCfg.opt but it's still not 100% perfect. Haven't went as high as 600% though, maybe need to try that. So far I've been using 400% if I recall correctly. However, it would be a much more clean and nice solution to have an option for this directly in GSX Pro. Rather than messing around manually with cfg files. Changing values which doesn't affect just GSX Pro but also all other objects in MSFS.

If not possible to add this kind of option on the settings page, what would happen if the same LOD level was used for bags which are already used for passengers?

As I mentioned before, I don't really see how that could cause any severe performance degradation. Given how the passengers are already seen far further out than the bags with no issues. At least not over here. I do have a powerful rig though which maybe explains why I don't see a performance dip. Which again takes us back to how nice it would be to have an option for this. The normal way to handle these kind of things for most products where people can pick the level of details that allows them to have a good balance between visual quality and performance.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 07:12:55 pm by WebMaximus »
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2022, 03:35:28 pm »
Speaking of options, would it be possible to add an option to GSX Pro where users can choose for themselves what level of LOD optimization they want for the bags?

It's not, since those can't be changed dynamically, they would require changing every model XML definition, and as I've said, these has been finely tuned to be correct, according to official LOD diagnostic tool in the SDK.

And no, it's not as simply as just changing values randomly or with a certain amount, since they are different for each object, and we spent lots of time making sure they are correct for every object.

As I've said, multiple times, there are some that might be improved, but considering the current issue of disappearing objects when there are too many objects around, we need to be sure this is fixed, because the objects that were supposed to disappear were exactly the ones NOT complying with the LOD rules, so intentionally breaking them might not be the best course of action, right now.

WebMaximus

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2022, 04:10:31 pm »
OK, I still fail to understand why we can see all passengers (which also to me seem to be far more complicated objects than bags) while we can't see the bags depending on viewing angle and distance. It just looks very odd when you see the baggage guys picking up bags out of thin air or dropping a bag on a cart that a split second later has disappeared from the cart.

IMO, this takes away quite a bit of the visual immersion of a product such as GSX. Where seeing all this extra activity is the main purpose of your product, to add a more realistic environment around the aircraft. Where I personally don't find invisible bags very realistic.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2022, 04:13:25 pm »
OK, I still fail to understand why we can see all passengers (which also to me seem to be far more complicated objects than bags) while we can't see the bags depending on viewing angle and distance. It just looks very odd when you see the baggage guys picking up bags out of thin air or dropping a bag on a cart that a split second later has disappeared from the cart.

The explanation would be very long, and it's due to the way the bags are a coordination of 3 different objects working together, each when different ref points and using skinned mesh over a moving area, which doesn't play entirely well with the off-screen optimization made by the sim.

WebMaximus

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2022, 04:46:13 pm »
Ok, it's a sim issue.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2022, 04:55:01 pm »
Ok, it's a sim issue.

Not entirely, it's a combination how the sim works, and how LOD in that particular animation is different than normal LOD on single-objects ( passengers ).

WebMaximus

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2022, 05:34:58 pm »
Ah, got it.
Richard Åsberg

WebMaximus

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2023, 04:52:28 pm »
After having some really nasty CTD issues for a long time, I'm now using a totally clean and fresh installation of both Windows and MSFS. Due to the issues I had, this time around I've decided to not perform any manual "hacks" like changing cfg file values outside of what is possible via in in-game menus.

With this said, have you given it any thought Umberto if there could be some way from your side to work around this issue with invisible bags?

As I said many times, I really like the extra immersion GSX Pro adds. However, seeing these invisible bags on every flight does take away quite a lot from the feeling of immersion and realism. I also noticed how the pushback truck when driving back to the gate after the pushback has been completed also becomes invisible on its way back. Where you only see the part connecting to the nose wheel. While the actual truck vanishes. Again, something that looks very strange and unrealistic of course. I assume this is a LOD issue as well.

Would be really nice if you could come up with some form of solution for this.
Richard Åsberg

Gerwil

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2023, 08:21:15 am »
Would be really nice if you could come up with some form of solution for this.

Would be nice I agree too. But I personally think the solution has to come from Asobo. In VR, I bet (besides the disappearing bags and tugs) you also see the AI planes taxiïng about without landing gears :)

WebMaximus

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2023, 10:39:41 am »
Would be nice I agree too. But I personally think the solution has to come from Asobo. In VR, I bet (besides the disappearing bags and tugs) you also see the AI planes taxiïng about without landing gears :)

Seen both aircraft without gear, aircraft with the tail halfway buried into the ground when being pushed back and the list goes on... I suppose invisible bags and trucks disappearing into the thin air goes well hand in hand with all that 🤣
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2023, 11:05:33 am »
Seen both aircraft without gear, aircraft with the tail halfway buried into the ground when being pushed back and the list goes on... I suppose invisible bags and trucks disappearing into the thin air goes well hand in hand with all that

Finally somebody noticed it's the way LODs that are otherwise perfectly fine for normal use, will not work very well in VR, to objects totally unrelated to GSX so yes, it's something that must be addressed by Asobo/MS because, we don't have any way to fix this because:

- just raising all LODs so objects will display better in VR, will hamper fps and memory usage in normal use as well, so it's wrong.

- VR can be switched on/off at any time, but preprogrammed LOD levels in objects can't, they are decided when the sim start and cannot be changed dynamically, except with the Objects LOD slider.

I think your only option is to manually tweak the ObjectsLoD parameter in your UserCfg.opt for VR only, like this:

{GraphicsVR
   Version 1.1.0
   Preset Custom
   {Texture
      MaxAnisotropy 4
      Quality 1
   }
   {SuperSampling
      SuperSampling 1
   }
   {Terrain
      LoDFactor 1.000000
   }
   {OffscreenTerrainPreCaching
      Enabled 1
      Quality 1
   }
   {ObjectsLoD
      LoDFactor 2.000000
   }

Try rasing it to 4.000 or 8.000 and see if it improves, and be sure you are editing the GraphicsVR section. Of course, once you made this change, don't touch the Objects Lod slider in the sim anymore, because that can only go up to 200, so it will set the file to 2.0 ( 2.00 = 200 )

WebMaximus

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2023, 11:47:56 am »
To be fair, I'm not so sure issues with online aircraft models when flying on Vatsim such as missing gear, aircraft in very unnatural positions etc are related to the LOD issue. When I've for instance have seen an aircraft such as the one below, that has been the same regardless of distance I am from the aircraft.

For this issue though, I'll once again try to increase the values as suggested. Been a bit reluctant doing this after all the CTD issues I experienced for a long time. Now after a complete reinstall of both Windows and MSFS where it seems I finally got rid of the CTD issues, I'm very carful what I add back to MSFS or what configuration changes I do. Will give it a go though since it's very easy to change the value back should I see any issues.

Speaking of application errors, I've seen lots of these in the Windows Event Viewer Application log. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Code: [Select]
Faulting application name: couatl64_MSFS.exe, version: 4.8.0.5105, time stamp: 0x639b573b
Faulting module name: couatl64_MSFS.exe, version: 4.8.0.5105, time stamp: 0x639b573b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000195ae9
Faulting process id: 0x0x7C8
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D93AF1C8982D74
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\couatl64\couatl64_MSFS.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\couatl64\couatl64_MSFS.exe
Report Id: f2f78feb-d02e-48e0-a104-c8135f8fcfb8
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Here's an example of what it sometimes looks like when flying on Vatsim. Again, not a LOD nor VR issue I think but regardless, it does look quite funny 🙂

https://i.imgur.com/EA1QtO2.jpg
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 11:54:41 am by virtuali »
Richard Åsberg