Author Topic: Arresting Wire animations, etc.  (Read 11494 times)

GOONIE

Arresting Wire animations, etc.
« on: January 22, 2010, 04:40:27 pm »
This topic is meant for all the FSX magicians, who might be able to shed light on the following FSX carrier flying improvements. I don't know if these ideas are possible, but I thought they were worth discussing.

1. Animating the arresting wire on the FSX Nimitz. I assume Javier would have included it if was possible in his latest carrier, but I just wanted to know why the arresting wires have not been animated at this point, where you could see the wires responding to the aircraft's hook. It seems possible based on the helo missions in FSX Accel, with wire physics, hooking, etc. are animated. I guess the resetting of the wires might be an issue. Ideas?

2. Aircraft roll back following the arrested landing. I think it would be great to include a short pull effect causing the aircraft to roll backwards a few feet after the arrested landing, simulating what happens to the aircraft in the real world as the wire is being retracted and the wire is being cleared from the hook. 

3. Animated deck personnel ("yellow shirt") signaling roll back and/or hook up with hand gestures following the arrested landing. With Javiers latest carrier, and the animated "shooter" on the CATs, I thought it would be possible to add a yellow shirt that gives hand signals (hook up, roll back, taxi out of the landing area) which could be triggered by the carrier landing function/feature being activated in FSX. Again, not sure if it is possible but thought I would throw the idea out there.

"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Orion

Re: Arresting Wire animations, etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 10:26:33 pm »
1. I think this has been brought up before...  Anyone else besides me recall hearing that Microsoft was going to do animated wires for the carrier, but it got cut due to time constraints?

2. Doesn't it already do that?

3. Not sure if this would be possible - perhaps if you did get it hooked to the wires, how would the sim know when to get rid of the people?

SUBS17

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 04:01:55 am »
I think he means a carrier like DiDs Superhornet which had animated people on the deck doing hand signals. For carrierOps you would use just a basic setup and it would have to follow a script so spawn point might be the elevator where 1st in goes to CAT 1, 2nd 2, 3rd 3, 4th 4 and the next would be No2 for CAT 1 if there are any inbound aircraft then your que moves from all CATS to just 1 and 2. After landing you would be directed to the side and then given options:
1/ refuel/ rearm
2/ exit
3/ launch again etc
Like the 1st 4 minutes of this video.

To think over all of Youtube this is the only video of this sim real pity about the bugs as it had so much potential and yet the developers never took it further. This is possible in FSX but it would require a solid ATC as well.

sun444

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 07:02:46 pm »
Here You see the pull back.

GOONIE

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 09:34:59 pm »
Sun444,
Thanks for posting the video, that is what I am talking about for #2. Did you have to modify any files to get that affect? Currently my F/A-18 just stops after the arrested landing, there is no "roll back" as shown in your video. Also the audio is seemed different from the default trap sound. Thanks for the help.

SUbs17,
Wow, that is a pretty cool game, and I can't believe the game had all those features back in 2000, kind of wish we had some of that in FSX (CATCC, animated Yellowshirts, etc.).

Does anyone know of any other FSX add-on like Flight Deck 6 that has animated arresting wires?

-Capt

Razgriz

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 09:56:11 pm »
Here You see the pull back.

That didn't trap through the arresting wires, it did it through an external program.  Most likely ArrCab 2.6.

sun444

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 10:02:28 pm »
That didn't trap through the arresting wires, it did it through an external program.  Most likely ArrCab 2.6.

No Sir, no external program. It's the F/A-18 V1.1

Razgriz

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 10:04:39 pm »

No Sir, no external program. It's the F/A-18 V1.1

The trap sound activated when he touched down before the wires.  Are you sure?

sun444

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 10:10:25 pm »
Yes Sir, I'm sure. I'm sure because it's my video. You're right about the sound before touchdown but this was because of the replay with fsrecorder. FSrecorder doesn't record the hook if extended/retracted manually so you have to do it during the replay. And sometims there are problems with the sound.
But believe me, I only use FSX with Acc. Pack, the Nimitz and F/A-18 V1.1 (by CalebATC).

SUBS17

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 10:49:10 pm »

SUbs17,
Wow, that is a pretty cool game, and I can't believe the game had all those features back in 2000, kind of wish we had some of that in FSX (CATCC, animated Yellowshirts, etc.).

-Capt

FSX is capable of the same in single player and I suspect after having seen Orions MP mission work with Javiers Carrier pack that its possible in MP.

Razgriz

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 11:47:58 pm »
Yes Sir, I'm sure. I'm sure because it's my video. You're right about the sound before touchdown but this was because of the replay with fsrecorder. FSrecorder doesn't record the hook if extended/retracted manually so you have to do it during the replay. And sometims there are problems with the sound.
But believe me, I only use FSX with Acc. Pack, the Nimitz and F/A-18 V1.1 (by CalebATC).

Ok, well hmm.  I don't get the rollback.  Maybe its something in F/A-18 V1.1.

sun444

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 12:05:41 am »
Ok, well hmm.  I don't get the rollback.  Maybe its something in F/A-18 V1.1.

Yes, the rollback is part of the F/A-18 V1.1 and also the sound package for the trap. And after landing the hook retracts automatically.
The V1.1 also has a lower gear (more realistic) and many more effects. Look at the features (EagleSim)

GOONIE

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 09:46:23 pm »
If anyone is interested in adding the rollback, new arrestment sound, and auto tailhook retract (shown in the video above) to any F/A-18 (ie, CS F/A-18D or Accel F/A-18) or any other navy aircarft, just install blue angle's F/A-18 V1.1 found here http://fsxproblueangels.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2558&sid=ea9208841c0c3cc0769a95e44c3da2e9&p=10399

And then add these lines to your aircraft's panel.cfg file, where XX is replaced with the next open number.

//--------------
[Window Titles]
WindowXX=COP Control Panel

//-----------------
[WindowXX]
Background_color=16,16,16
size_mm=52,12
position=7
visible=0
ident=10080         //DO NOT CHANGE THIS VALUE
nomenu=1
window_size= 0.065, 0.040   //rev CP 14/08/07
window_pos= 0.770, 0.065   //rev CP 14/08/07

gauge00=COP3!ControlPanel,  0,0,52,12 
gauge01=COP3/CarrierZones!dsd_carrier_zones,  0,0
gauge02=COP3/Config!config,  0,0,,,./gauges/COP3/Config.ini
gauge03=COP3/Sound!dsd_xml_sound3,  0,0,,,./gauges/COP3/Sound.ini
gauge04=COP3!Arrester,  0,0,0
gauge05=COP3!Catapult,  0,0,0
gauge06=COP3/SpeedControl!xml2ipc,  0,0
gauge07=COP3!SonicBoomControl,  0,0,0

//Remember to back up your orginal files :)

Caleb

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 12:08:07 am »
That Guage I put in there is a cool thing. That also triggers the Sonic Boom effect (btw I'm the one who made that update for the Hornet) I'm working on some modifications for it still... V2.0 is gonna have some awsome things.