Author Topic: updater closes before finishing **SOLVED**  (Read 2011 times)

b742f

updater closes before finishing **SOLVED**
« on: March 15, 2022, 03:00:37 pm »
Hello I attempted many times to run the updater it said an update is available. the updater goes through some and then closes by itself before finishing. p3d 5.3
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 06:37:17 pm by virtuali »

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: updater closes before finishing
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 03:38:29 pm »
That means it's done.
Captain Kevin

b742f

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 04:44:36 pm »
That means it's done.
It would say before update finished and click exit button. It closes at updating step 12 of 35

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 05:15:54 pm »
It would say before update finished and click exit button. It closes at updating step 12 of 35
Yes, because completing up to step 35 would imply you have every FSDreamteam product. It isn't going to update something you don't have installed.
Captain Kevin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 06:11:04 pm »
Hello I attempted many times to run the updater it said an update is available. the updater goes through some and then closes by itself before finishing. p3d 5.3

In this very section of the forum:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,26109.0.html

Thread marked as solved, explaining why it's normal not all steps are performed, unless you have *everything* from FSDT installed.

Raphael

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 06:15:30 pm »
Hello guys,

Ive seen several complaints about the inadvertently "closing" action from the updater.   They say its the way the program works from latest updates on, saving the 1 click Exit action, etc...

IMHO may be we should think about getting it back.   Personally feel like it must be the only update program that closes that way from all over the sim-world that i know.   The EXIT button and the "update completed" message for instance give the user a confirmation relief that everything was done.   Closing the way it does, definitely makes you think something went wrong, i mean, even windows of your antivirus let you know when finished and what they updated in case you wanted to see.   

I liked to see is  list of updated items before closing, even if i dont have 25% of FSDT products a get (Not updated - Not found), well, i still have 75% that probabbly needed atention and i wanted to quick-revise the actions and see:  No update needed / Updated to Ver Vxxxxx,   be aware of it in a simple manner.   I dont want to bother anyone with my opinion, just commented because i like this.... i enjoy this, and in a sense a quick review might bring some light...

Saving a click?  :-\  Dont know...  Give it a whirl id say....

Happy flying to all!  8)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 06:18:18 pm by Raphael »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 06:22:03 pm »
I liked to see is  list of updated items before closing

The reason why the updater close automatically now, it's because now it can also run as an Installer ( starting it with the "FSDT Installer" icon ) so THERE you have all the control you want over the update process, like updating everything, check for updates only some products, select only some products to update, just read the release notes, etc.

So now, you have the best of both worlds:

- saving you a click when you don't want to waste any time, for example now you could run the updater in a BATCH FILE, before starting the sim, something you couldn't do before, since it would have stopped the batch file waiting for your click.

- giving you all the information and the control you need, when you need it, with the installer mode.