Author Topic: Aiframe specific config  (Read 5078 times)

Raznboth

Aiframe specific config
« on: March 13, 2022, 02:29:43 pm »
Is there anyway to make a gsx aircraft profile for a specific reg/airframe ? like what FSL did, airframe A with belt and airframe B with ULD.

i want to make something like that but for example airframe A will use airframe while airframe B will use the embeded stairs instead, both being the same aircraft type.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Aiframe specific config
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 04:59:38 pm »
What GSX can do, is having different configuration for different sub-version of the main model that for some reason have a shared folder ( like the PMDG 747-8i, which uses the -400 folder and an external configurator ).

To what you are asking, we need to add support for multiple GSX.CFG files, possibly based on the atc_id, which a standard we can use to recognize the airplane, for example, if your plane is named HB-IHZ, a GSX.CFG file with this name:

GSX-HB-IHZ.CFG

might be loaded instead of the default one. Do you think that might work ? It might be a possible solution but, of course, we need to code it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 09:16:45 pm »
Your suggestion is already in:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/couatl_liveupdate_notes.html

To use this feature, you must create a copy of an existing GSX.CFG file, and name it by adding a dash and the airplane registration to it.

EXAMPLE: To create an airframe-specific file for the FS Labs A320 EasyJet G-EZTA, make a copy of an existing GSX.CFG for that plane here:

%APPDATA%\Virtuali\Airplanes\FSLabs A320 CFM

Rename the copied file as GSX-G-EZTA.CFG. This will be used instead of the standard GSX.CFG file when that particular airframe is loaded. The airplane registration code is the same of the ATC_ID parameter of the aircraft.cfg file and is read through Simconnect when the airplane loads.

Please let me know if there are any issues with it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 09:19:34 pm by virtuali »

Raznboth

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 09:46:54 am »
Yes thats what i meant, and wow that was fast, i'll test ASAP, thank you

CS-TMT

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 03:09:41 am »
It would be useful if there is a note in the manual that when using the airframe specific config, the main/built-in gsx.cfg should be removed for it not to be used instead of the specific config.
Having both a gsx.cfg and a gsx-F-WWBA.cfg, the "main" not specific cfg will always be used.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 09:30:16 am »
It would be useful if there is a note in the manual that when using the airframe specific config, the main/built-in gsx.cfg should be removed for it not to be used instead of the specific config.

That's not how's supposed to work. By design, the specific config will have an higher priority over the generic one. I just re-checked it now, and it works as it should.

What you must keep in mind, is the location of the airplane customization file matters more than the generic/specific config. Which means, if you have an airframe-specific CFG file in the Airplane own folder, and a generic CFG in the %APPDATA% folder, the one in %APPDATA% will ALWAYS take precedence, even if it's "generic", and this if of course correct because, if it wasn't like that, you would lose the ability to customize an airplane that came with an airframe-specific config from the developer.

The airplane own folder should only be used by developers to supply a GSX configuration, but everything YOU do, should always be placed in the %APPDATA% folder ( as for my previous instructions ), because everything located there will always get the highest priority, regardless if it's specific or generic and, of course, *within* the same location, the specific will get higher priority of the generic so, consider the following situations:

1)
GSX.CFG in P3D\Simobjects\Airplanes
GSX-F-WWBA.CFG in P3D\Simobjects\Airplanes
NO folder for that airplane in %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Airplanes

GSX will use GSX-F-WWBA.CFG, if you select that variation, because the airframe config takes precedence over the generic config, and there's *nothing* in %APPDATA%

2)
GSX-F-WWBA.CFG in P3D\Simobjects\Airplanes
GSX.CFG in %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Airplanes

GSX will use GSX.CFG, EVEN if you select the F-WWBA variation, because anything in %APPDATA% will take precedence over any file in Simobjects\Airplanes.

3)
GSX-F-WWBA.CFG P3D\Simobjects\Airplanes
GSX.CFG in %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Airplanes
GSX-F-WWBA.CFG in %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Airplanes

GSX will use GSX-F-WWBA.CFG, if you select that variation, because the airframe config takes precedence over the generic config, since they are both in the highest-priority folder.

CS-TMT

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 02:31:56 am »
What you must keep in mind, is the location of the airplane customization file matters more than the generic/specific config. Which means, if you have an airframe-specific CFG file in the Airplane own folder, and a generic CFG in the %APPDATA% folder, the one in %APPDATA% will ALWAYS take precedence, even if it's "generic", and this if of course correct because, if it wasn't like that, you would lose the ability to customize an airplane that came with an airframe-specific config from the developer.
Dear Umberto, thank you for the extensive explanation! I was not aware of this part that I quoted from you, regarding the priorities.
However, the issue I am having is going against what you say.
So, I have the generic/built-in configs for the FSLabs Airbuses in %APPDATA% (none of them in P3D\Simobjects\Airplanes), that is, the gsx.cfg. Now, having the Airbus house colours for test flights, it's somewhat unrealistic for me that the Aircraft that only loads the crew gets a set of stairs in both door 1L+4L, the same for the catering/service doors 1+4R, so I created a specific config gsx-F-WWBA.cfg (being F-WWBA the registration as shown in the atc_id line) removing doors 4L+R from GSX services for that particular registration and placed the cfg file in the same folder where the generic gsx.cfg is, on %APPDATA% then launched the simulator (P3Dv4.5 HF3). Albeit having the customised specific cfg for that aircraft, it loaded the main generic config. Removing the generic cfg then it loads the customised specific config ???
One thing that came to mind but haven't tried yet and may be the issue here is that I have two aircraft with the same atc_id although in different folders (FSLabs A320 and FSLabs A320-SL, that is, same paint/registration for both the classic wing tip fences and the sharklet version. Could this be the culprit, although the aircraft and respective CFGs are in different folders (both of them in %APPDATA%/Virtuali/etc)?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2022, 01:13:27 am »
One thing that came to mind but haven't tried yet and may be the issue here is that I have two aircraft with the same atc_id although in different folders (FSLabs A320 and FSLabs A320-SL, that is, same paint/registration for both the classic wing tip fences and the sharklet version. Could this be the culprit, although the aircraft and respective CFGs are in different folders (both of them in %APPDATA%/Virtuali/etc)?

Then, assuming you want to apply the same modifications to both, you must copy the airframe-specific .CFG in both folders.

CS-TMT

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2022, 02:11:45 am »
Yes, I would imagine that, but the airframe-specific is not working on either of the two. Could it be because of the repeated registration?

CS-TMT

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 03:47:41 am »
So as you cansee, I haveloaded the FSL A320 with sharklets (CFM version), seen both in the texture as well as in the atc_id of the aircraft.cfg.
I have the specific GSX config file in %APPDATA% with both passenger exit 4 (door 4L) and Service 2 (door 4R) removed. However when calling GSX, both stars appear and move to doors 1 and 4L and two catering trucks appear and dock to doors 1+4R. In fact you can see that both exits are still active in the customization menu.The only way for these changed to take effect is if I change the generic GSX.CFG ???
I tried reinstalling/updating GSX but it didn't change anything. Tried both a saved flight (done with Lorby-SI WAMA) and a fresh flight and it didn't matter.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2022, 10:09:57 am »
The screenshots are not useful to me, you should post a startup log instead, which is created by enabling Logging in the Troubleshooting section of the GSX Settings. Restart the sim with the airplane you have an airframe-specific CFG file for, and as soon the plane loads, exist the sim and look for the COUATL.LOG file in %APPDATA%\Virtuali.

ZIP the file and Attach it to a post.

CS-TMT

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2022, 11:49:52 pm »
(...)look for the COUATL.LOG file in %APPDATA%\Virtuali.

ZIP the file and Attach it to a post.
Dear Umberto, no Couatl.log exists in that folder, however it is created in the main P3D installation directory. The file is zipped and attached as asked.
Opening the log file I can see the following lines:

Specific .cfg file for  not found in G:\Addons\Flight Simulator\FSLabs\SimObjects/Airplanes\FSLabs A320-SL CFM, using standard GSX.CFG file
Specific .cfg file for  not found in C:\Users\(...)\AppData\Roaming\Virtuali/Airplanes\FSLabs A320-SL CFM, using standard GSX.CFG file
Found gsx.cfg file at C:\Users\(...)\AppData\Roaming\Virtuali/Airplanes\FSLabs A320-SL CFM\gsx.cfg

It's weird that it doesn't detect the specific CFG... ??? but maybe you can find out why.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 12:55:28 am by CS-TMT »

CS-TMT

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2022, 12:54:59 am »

(...)
Specific .cfg file for  not found in C:\Users\(...)\AppData\Roaming\Virtuali/Airplanes\FSLabs A320-SL CFM, using standard GSX.CFG file
Found gsx.cfg file at C:\(...)\AppData\Roaming\Virtuali/Airplanes\FSLabs A320-SL CFM\gsx.cfg

It's weird that it doesn't detect the specific CFG... ??? but maybe you can find out why.
Keeping with the weirdness (at least for me), as I said in one of my first posts regarding my issue, I have two (actually 4) aircraft using the same registration: FSLabs A320 CFM, A320-SL CFM (and A320 IAE and SL IAE). Haven't tried the IAEs, however the specific CFG for the CFM version (not SL) is being detected and working as it should...

Specific .cfg file for F-WWBA not found in G:\Addons\Flight Simulator\FSLabs\SimObjects/Airplanes\FSLabs A320 CFM, using standard GSX.CFG file
Found a custom GSX.CFG file for F-WWBA in C:\Users\(...)\AppData\Roaming\Virtuali/Airplanes\FSLabs A320 CFM, using this one!
Found gsx.cfg file at C:\Users\(...)\AppData\Roaming\Virtuali/Airplanes\FSLabs A320 CFM\gsx-F-WWBA.cfg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2022, 11:28:27 am »

Specific .cfg file for  not found in G:\Addons\Flight Simulator\FSLabs\SimObjects/Airplanes\FSLabs A320-SL CFM, using standard GSX.CFG file
Found gsx.cfg file at C:\Users\(...)\AppData\Roaming\Virtuali/Airplanes\FSLabs A320-SL CFM\gsx.cfg

The only possible reason I can think of, is you haven't selected the F-WWBA airplane.

Keeping with the weirdness (at least for me), as I said in one of my first posts regarding my issue, I have two (actually 4) aircraft using the same registration: FSLabs A320 CFM, A320-SL CFM (and A320 IAE and SL IAE). Haven't tried the IAEs, however the specific CFG for the CFM version (not SL) is being detected and working as it should...

Which seems to confirm you might have not selected the right airframe in the session you produced that log. I see something strange in your aircraft.cfg, that (1) added to the title, as if you copied it from another section, are you SURE you selected that one ?

CS-TMT

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2022, 04:44:29 pm »
That (1) is automatically put by the FSLabs internal system when a registration is used more than once. As I said before, I use the same registration in the CFM "standard" (wingtip fences) A320 and in the CFM SL (sharklets version).
The "standard" version is working OK and the sharklet version is not. Both have the atc_id=F-WWBA.
Maybe the specific CFG doesn't work when multiple aircraft use the same registration? Which is weird anyway, because they are in different folders... 🤔