Author Topic: P3D v5 Hot Fix 2  (Read 1583 times)

Llondon

P3D v5 Hot Fix 2
« on: January 20, 2022, 03:07:47 am »
Today P3D released a hot fix update. There advice is to delete generated files. Does this impact GSX? Does this require re-installing?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: P3D v5 Hot Fix 2
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 09:55:03 am »
Since 2017, when P3D 4.0 first came out, GSX has never been affected by a particular build of the sim, since due to several SDK/PDK additions, we no longer do or require *any* direct memory access, like we had to do in FSX or older P3D version, and the 64 bit version of our software is 100% made using the native P3D SDK with NO memory HACKS whatsoever. Which means, hotfixes won't require any change/update anymore.

In fact, what the new Hotfix does to GSX, is the very well known bug of the Html menu locking up should have been fixed, since LM identified a problem with a different version of the Html runtime they used, which in some cases froze the sim.

Even if this affected every application with a menu, and even the default ATC, since GSX is one of the most popular apps that use the menu, some users assumed the previous Hotfix wasn't compatible with GSX, when in fact it simply had the menu bugged for every app. While I was never able to reproduce such crashes, I always got a small pause when the menu opened the first time, which doesn't happen anymore in the latest Hotfix so, clearly, something has changed in the menu for the better.

Llondon

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 03:05:07 pm »
Thanks for the reply as P3D requests that you delete generated files. I wasn’t sure if this affected Addons. With every update never sure when the sim is not stable if the addon is the culprit or the sim. I made a list of to do items that get it back to operating with the setting I had before the update. Thanks for your support.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 06:01:50 pm »
Thanks for the reply as P3D requests that you delete generated files. I wasn’t sure if this affected Addons.

Those not using the add-on.xml method, or those using it in the wrong way (placing it in folders other than Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons ), will have to be reinstalled, yes.

The proper ones, which use the add-on.xml AND place it in the correct folder, will be "Autodiscovered", which means, even if you Delete the Generated files ( losing your existing prepar3d.cfg, scenery.cfg, add-ons.cfg, etc. ), the sim will ask if you want to reactivate all these add-ons, so they will be re-enabled without requiring a reinstall.

That's called "Auto Discovery" feature, which GSX supports, because it use the add-on.xml and it's placed in the right folder.

Llondon

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 06:06:25 pm »
Thanks that is helpful…