Author Topic: Regenerating airport cache: long times and regeneration every time  (Read 2663 times)

Freccia

Hi, since I installed GSX L2 on P3Dv5.3, I have noticed a lengthening of the cache regeneration times, which reach up to 70 seconds.

Also I noticed that this happens even if you load the same plane/scenery.

Depends on what?

Thank you.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Captain Kevin

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: Regenerating airport cache: long times and regeneration every time
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 09:20:01 pm »
That's cool and all, but is there any fix/workaround for now?
I'm confused. You asked why it regenerates all the time, I linked you to the post that explained why it's set to do that now. You want a workaround around the workaround? I suppose check to see if your simulator and scenery folders are excluded from being scanned by your anti-virus. That usually speeds up the time.
Captain Kevin

Berzerker

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 02:14:14 am »
That's cool and all, but is there any fix/workaround for now?
I'm confused. You asked why it regenerates all the time, I linked you to the post that explained why it's set to do that now. You want a workaround around the workaround? I suppose check to see if your simulator and scenery folders are excluded from being scanned by your anti-virus. That usually speeds up the time.

First of all, I'm not the OP.

Second of all, you linked to your own post that said "some time ago" there was an update that "for some reason" causes it to regenerate every time and you speculated a random reason. Did you link the wrong topic, perhaps?

It's not that it's slow, it's just annoying that it has to do it every time. Sometimes it's a minute, sometimes it's instant. It shouldn't be required to rescan if it literally doesn't change, even though GSX is claiming it does. Modified date on the folder shows it last being changed days ago, yet GSX thinks it does, per the log.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 02:26:39 am »
Second of all, you linked to your own post that said "some time ago" there was an update that "for some reason" causes it to regenerate every time and you speculated a random reason. Did you link the wrong topic, perhaps?
Negative, what I actually said was some time ago, there was an update that caused some sort of issue for some reason, and the only thing that seems to solve it at this time is to have it regenerate the cache every single time. I linked to that post because somebody had asked the exact same question less than a week ago, and I really didn't feel like having to type everything out all over again, given that I was getting ready for work at that point. In any event, now that I have time to actually do this, here you go:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,25708.msg168943.html#msg168943
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,25357.msg166822.html#msg166822
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,25568.msg168108.html#msg168108
It's not that it's slow, it's just annoying that it has to do it every time. Sometimes it's a minute, sometimes it's instant. It shouldn't be required to rescan if it literally doesn't change, even though GSX is claiming it does. Modified date on the folder shows it last being changed days ago, yet GSX thinks it does, per the log.
Check your anti-virus to make sure you've excluded folders that P3D, GSX, and all of your sceneries are in, and that usually speeds it up.
Captain Kevin

Berzerker

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 03:35:27 pm »
Negative, what I actually said was some time ago, there was an update that caused some sort of issue for some reason, and the only thing that seems to solve it at this time is to have it regenerate the cache every single time. I linked to that post because somebody had asked the exact same question less than a week ago, and I really didn't feel like having to type everything out all over again, given that I was getting ready for work at that point. In any event, now that I have time to actually do this, here you go:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,25708.msg168943.html#msg168943
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,25357.msg166822.html#msg166822
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,25568.msg168108.html#msg168108
Well thank you for posting those links this time, so there's an actual explanation from Umberto. I hope you can see why the link to your previous post didn't really provide a lot of info. "For some reason" doesn't really tell me if it's a bug or a feature. Unfortunate that it's an actual feature though, since it seems like a cop out workaround for fixing actual underlying problems.

Check your anti-virus to make sure you've excluded folders that P3D, GSX, and all of your sceneries are in, and that usually speeds it up.

I've excluded all of that. Like I said, it usually doesn't take all that long, but maybe once out of every 5-7 times, it'll take a good minute.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 04:49:11 pm »
Well thank you for posting those links this time, so there's an actual explanation from Umberto. I hope you can see why the link to your previous post didn't really provide a lot of info. "For some reason" doesn't really tell me if it's a bug or a feature. Unfortunate that it's an actual feature though, since it seems like a cop out workaround for fixing actual underlying problems.
I get that, but with everything that's going on up here, I can't possibly be expected to remember every little detail about everything. When I'm trying to do this right before work, I don't have time to sit down and try to search through older posts, which took quite a while for me to find. I can either do my best to try to help or I can just ignore it and have people wonder why there hasn't been a response in a day or two.

As far as fixing the actual problem, if it's a result of an outdated Windows 10 version as suggested in Umberto's post that I linked, I don't know that there's much they can really do since they obviously can't force Windows 10 updates.
I've excluded all of that. Like I said, it usually doesn't take all that long, but maybe once out of every 5-7 times, it'll take a good minute.
In that case, I got nothing.
Captain Kevin