Author Topic: "Unexpected end of file has occurred" re: SimBase error message  (Read 1934 times)

Comet4b

"Unexpected end of file has occurred" re: SimBase error message
« on: December 01, 2021, 10:25:50 am »
Hello,

On installing GSX, I get the error message attached which warns that an "unexpected end of file has occurred. The following elements are not closed: SimBase.Document.Line2, position 1".
The installer continues when I click "OK" to this message. However, FSDT is not then shown as available when I subsequently launch P3D v.4.5. I uninstalled and re-installed P3D with no success.

This is the first time I have experienced this error having successfully used GSX in the past.

I'd greatly appreciate some help I think the GSX product is great and do miss it!

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: "Unexpected end of file has occurred" re: SimBase error message
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 04:46:10 pm »
Either you (by manually editing it) or some other external utility that modifies/rearranges the add-on.xml files must have corrupted the FSDT add-on.xml file.

Remove this folder:

Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\FsDreamTeam Addon Manager

And reinstall GSX.

Comet4b

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 11:14:23 am »
Hi, I do not have an FSDT folder at Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\FsDreamTeam Addon Manager and a search of my desktop finds no reference to any FSDT entry in the registry or file managers across all drives.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 01:41:13 pm »
Hi, I do not have an FSDT folder at Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\FsDreamTeam Addon Manager and a search of my desktop finds no reference to any FSDT entry in the registry or file managers across all drives.

The file is automatically created when you install any FSDT product, including of course the GSX installer so, it's simply not normal that you are missing the file on installing GSX because, the GSX installer will FIRST create it, and THEN it will run the updater.

Also, the updater obviously checks for the presence of that folder BEFORE trying to opening the Add-on.xml and, if it doesn't find it, it should give you a completely different error. The error code in your screenshot, instead, should only come out if the file was found, and it was corrupted or empty.

But again, the abnormal situation is not the error, it's the fact you say you don't have the Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\FsDreamTeam Addon Manager folder, which is always created by the GSX installer.

Are you possibly using all your Documents on OneDrive ?

Comet4b

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 10:46:45 am »
Hi Umberto,

GSX continues to fail to install (I continue to get the error message I posted in my first post above) and display the Couatl option in Add-ons drop down in my P3D.

I downloaded the latest 64bit installer from the web site, ran it and I followed your instructions above. But still no joy.

Any extra advice would be welcomed.

Thanks, ken

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 01:57:13 pm »
GSX continues to fail to install (I continue to get the error message I posted in my first post above) and display the Couatl option in Add-ons drop down in my P3D.

As I've said, the file is always created correctly by our installer so, it's impossible it would be corrupted if you only used our installer. But, if the file is already there and is corrupted, the installer will first CHECK it and won't try to do any changes to it, because we assumed it's best INFORM the user there's a problem with it, rather than blankly remove it, which will of course result in the addon not working anymore, considering the updater is only designed to UPDATE products, not install them so, you would have to know you would have to manually remove the file and run the full installer again.

The only possible explanations for the file being corrupted is:

- You opened it by hand, maybe using the wrong editor, and changed something. Not possible to say without looking at your actual file.

- A 3rd party utility used to manage add-ons has corrupted it

- The antivirus might have blocked our updater exactly while it had to modify the file, causing the corrupted

- As I've already asked ( but you never replied to that ), having the Documents folder on OneDrive might cause extra issues (permissions over the cloud) which might have prevented the file to be updated properly.

Have you tried the easiest solution, that is:

- Removing ALL FSDT folders from the Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

- Reinstall ALL your FSDT product using their current FULL installer, which is available on the "Products and Downloads" page of this site.

A proper add-on.xml MUST be created for each one in the Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder. If it hasn't, you have far more serious problem with your system than just FSDT not working.