Author Topic: Problem with GSX 2.9.4 | Only works once after LiveUpdate  (Read 20804 times)

disco79stu

Re: Problem with GSX 2.9.4 | Only works once after LiveUpdate
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2021, 09:03:36 pm »
Okay, I now can also confirm the "solution" from the other thread.

Deleting the Couatl folder in \ProgramData\Virtuali before opening P3D will bring GSX back to life without running LiveUpdate.
The caches rebuild and GSX works. But this is necessary every time I start P3D.

(deleting that folder was only possible after manually terminating the Couatl process in the task manager. No Idea why it just won't shut down automatically)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2021, 10:05:45 pm »
No matter what I do, everything seems fine and okay (cache rebuilt, jetways appearing, services working) until I start P3D again. GSX will only start once right now.

You haven't said if it's solved the way I told you in my last reply, when I said to check another thread, which suggested to remove the C:\ProgramData\Virtuali\Couatl ( that's the cache folder ) manually before each start.

disco79stu

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2021, 10:36:47 pm »
No matter what I do, everything seems fine and okay (cache rebuilt, jetways appearing, services working) until I start P3D again. GSX will only start once right now.

You haven't said if it's solved the way I told you in my last reply, when I said to check another thread, which suggested to remove the C:\ProgramData\Virtuali\Couatl ( that's the cache folder ) manually before each start.

sorry, I didn‘t catch that at first and tried to make up for it in my post above. Indeed deleting that cache folder fixes the issue but only for one session (the one where it rebuilds the cache).

houssem72

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2021, 01:52:36 am »
same problem

skyymann

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2021, 05:51:59 am »
I already posted a new thread, but I am having the exact issue in P3DV4.5 as well.

Scott

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2021, 11:02:25 am »
I already posted a new thread, but I am having the exact issue in P3DV4.5 as well.

If you have this exact issue, you shouldn't have posted a new thread. I removed it so, unless your issue is different, don't open a new thread when a new one discussing exactly the same issue is already opened and you even posted on it.

As discussed in this thread, we isolated the problem although we haven't been able to replicate it yet, I could only see it on an user's system via remote assistance. For those affected, it results in the inability to make a "normal" Restart IF the airport cache has already been built from a previous session

If the cache is rebuilt, Restart seems to work ( or, at least, it worked with no issues on that user system I had a chance to try ) so, as TEMPORARY fix, we released a small update that for the time being will always trigger a cache rebuild.

This, depending on your system speed and the number of sceneries you have installed, will like result in a slower Restart. To speed it up as best as possible, I suggest adding all folders you have sceneries installed to the Antivirus Exclusions, which will bring down the cache regeneration time quite a bit. Again, this is just a temporary solution that should help you get going while we find what's causing this.

disco79stu

« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2021, 11:37:25 am »
a temporary solution that should help you get going while we find what's causing this.

Thanks Umberto!

skyymann

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2021, 12:45:16 pm »
Thanks Umberto!

Scott

airlinetycoon

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2021, 12:48:35 pm »
Similar Problem here - When I delete the cache folder in ProgramData\Virtuali GSX starts as usual. When I restart the P3d v5.2 it don´ts appears. When I try to delete the cache again I get the message "this folder is using by another program". In the task Manager shows  couatl-engine is already running, seems not to be closed during Sim-shutdown. When I shut the couatl task, I can delete the cache folder and after restarting the sim, GSX works.

disco79stu

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2021, 12:57:15 pm »
For me the update also did not solve the issue.
It's still working directly after a LiveUpdate, but on the next sim start, GSX won't work again (and it won't rebuild the caches).

Deleting the cache folder manually as a workaround however does still make GSX work again.

I also noticed that after the LiveUpdate, couatl64_P3D.exe will properly shut down with P3D (checked task manager), at least for me.
But after the next sim start and sim shutdown it will keep running forever forcing me to terminating it manually in order to delete the Couatl. cache folder.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2021, 02:03:10 pm »
For me the update also did not solve the issue.
It's still working directly after a LiveUpdate, but on the next sim start, GSX won't work again (and it won't rebuild the caches).

Deleting the cache folder manually as a workaround however does still make GSX work again.

That's because the fix never claimed to have fixed a START when the cache is already present. As the release notes say, the fix only fixes RESTARTS, which are all the things triggered by switching the airplane, select "Reset position", choosing "Restart Couatl", which were the most annoying to be affected by this problem.

So yes, while we find a proper solution, for the first start of the sim, removing the C:\ProgramData\Virtuali\Couatl folder is still required. I suggest creating a batch file to start the sim, containing those lines

DEL C:\ProgramData\Virtuali\Couatl /S /Q
PREPAR3D.EXE

This should be named with any name with a .BAT extension ( like START.BAT ), to be placed in the Prepar3d root folder and used to start the sim.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 02:45:22 pm by virtuali »

disco79stu

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2021, 02:28:19 pm »
I suggest creating a batch file to start the sim, containing those lines

DEL C:\ProgramData\Virtuali\Couatl
PREPAR3D.EXE

This should be named with any name with a .BAT extension ( like START.BAT ), to be placed in the Prepar3d root folder and used to start the sim.

Hm, while this asks me if I want to delete it, it's not doing anything when I agee.
I had to add "/s" to get it to delete everything even in the sub folders (and I added "/q" to skip the prompting). But this way it works for me.

Edit: Here's the bat code I use:

DEL C:\ProgramData\Virtuali\Couatl /s /q
start "" "C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\PREPAR3D.exe"
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 02:34:54 pm by disco79stu »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2021, 02:45:02 pm »
I had to add "/s" to get it to delete everything even in the sub folders (and I added "/q" to skip the prompting). But this way it works for me.

Yes, you are right, I forgot the /s, your code it's fine.

airbadger

« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2021, 02:53:00 pm »
I suggest creating a batch file to start the sim, containing those lines

DEL C:\ProgramData\Virtuali\Couatl
PREPAR3D.EXE

Hm, while this asks me if I want to delete it, it's not doing anything when I agee.

Edit: Here's the bat code I use:

DEL C:\ProgramData\Virtuali\Couatl /s /q
start "" "C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\PREPAR3D.exe"

This was helpful, thanks

skyymann

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2021, 03:19:57 pm »
Hi Umberto,

It worked fine initially, but then back to no GSX.  :'(

Scott