Author Topic: Impossible to have dnata handling  (Read 2413 times)

VHEBN

Impossible to have dnata handling
« on: July 15, 2021, 11:24:29 am »
Hello.

I am trying to have dnata ground handing at YSSY airport.

I don't know why it seems not to be possible. Maybe you can help.

I am guessing that the code for dnata is DNATA based on the name in Addon Manager\texture\handling

I have set dnata to be an option in the airline codes as above,
however it is not an option.

Never have I had this issue before, and I don't see why this wouldn't work unless the code is wrong. Is there a list of handler codes available somwhere that I could use rather than just reading the folder names?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Impossible to have dnata handling
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 02:13:01 pm »
You cannot make an operator appear just because you add an airline code to it.

Airline codes are used ONLY to "break ties", in case there are multiple operators assigned to the airport (according to the stock rules_handling file in the texture folder) so, the ones that match the airline code, will be preferred to the ones that don't, but the operator should first get some score at that airport, you can't add an operator "just" because it's listed in the airline codes field.

Normally, you assign a SINGLE operator using the Handling selection in the "Custom texture" field but, if you use P3D V5, the custom texture function is currently not working, since it was used with P3D V4 together with the Render to Texture feature, which required DirectX 11, which P3D V5 doesn't support.

We are working on an update for P3D V5 which will restore multiple operators, but it's not ready yet so, at this time, the only way to assign an operator that would normally not appear on an airport, is to change the rules_handling.cfg file to add it to that airport, so it gets enough score to compete with the others.

VHEBN

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 06:10:35 am »
You cannot make an operator appear just because you add an airline code to it.

Maybe you should be able to? If someone specifies a code I don't see why they would ever not want to have it...

Nonetheless, I have taken a look in the rules_handling.cfg file and here is the entry for DNATA which clearly includes YSSY, the airport in question however dnata still doesn't show up in the menu.

Clearing the airline codes field in the GSX Customisation menu shows all other operators available for the airport which I understand is the intended behavior, but it still does not show dnata.

Edit: Ok so on further experimenting, I'm starting to think there might just be an issue with dnata specificly. Copying the texture.DNATA folder and renaming it to texture.DNAT2, and doing the same with the cfg entry, this shows up in the sim.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 06:21:27 am by VHEBN »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 12:17:20 pm »
Maybe you should be able to? If someone specifies a code I don't see why they would ever not want to have it...

No, you shouldn't and we explained many times why it's correct the way it is right now so, I'll explain it again:

Airline codes in airport parking spots are not meant to have any relationship to the LOCAL Ground services that are available on that particular airport. They are only used to indicate where AI airplanes will park to, by preference, assuming all the other conditions like parking type and airplane wingspan are satisfied.

This is particularly obvious on international terminals, at places like KJFK, KORD, KLAX, you might see many airline codes of airlines from all over the world, that's why it would be wrong if GSX took those codes without first decide if a ground operator can be selected, because ground operators are always LOCAL to the airport, while airline code are not.

Just because you are parking on an international terminal that has, for example, Lufthansa codes ( because LH use that parking ), it would be very wrong if you are at KLAX, and you'll see a LH ground crew there! And for the same reason, the airline code of the airplane you are flying does NOT ( and SHOULD NOT ) drive the selection of the operator, unless you want to simulate something that in reality doesn't exist: your home ground crew always following your plane. Yes, we DO have an option for that, the "Virtual airlines override", which is there because VA users asked for it, but it's not enabled by default.

Nonetheless, I have taken a look in the rules_handling.cfg file and here is the entry for DNATA which clearly includes YSSY, the airport in question however dnata still doesn't show up in the menu.

Which other parking codes are there on that parking ? As I've said, an airport present in the rules_handling.cfg file with the maximum score ( 4 characters matching ) is only the FIRST prerequisite for an operator to be POSSIBLY chosen.

If there are multiple operators with the maximum score, the airline codes of the parking will then "break the ties" so, only those that match these codes will show up.

For example, using the default scenery, which has NO airline codes on the parking, YSSY has the following operators, all tied for maximum score:

Virgin Australia
Qantas
DNATA
Jet

So, I tried going to default YSSY just now and, sure enough, I have all 4 of them, as expected

Then, I opened the GSX configuration editor, and set DNATA only on a parking and, sure enough, I now get DNATA without even a menu because, of course, if there's only one choice available, the operator menu will be skipped.

VHEBN

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 02:11:33 pm »
No, you shouldn't and we explained many times why it's correct the way it is right now so, I'll explain it again:

Airline codes in airport parking spots are not meant to have any relationship to the LOCAL Ground services that are available on that particular airport. They are only used to indicate where AI airplanes will park to, by preference, assuming all the other conditions like parking type and airplane wingspan are satisfied.

This is particularly obvious on international terminals, at places like KJFK, KORD, KLAX, you might see many airline codes of airlines from all over the world, that's why it would be wrong if GSX took those codes without first decide if a ground operator can be selected, because ground operators are always LOCAL to the airport, while airline code are not.

Just because you are parking on an international terminal that has, for example, Lufthansa codes ( because LH use that parking ), it would be very wrong if you are at KLAX, and you'll see a LH ground crew there! And for the same reason, the airline code of the airplane you are flying does NOT ( and SHOULD NOT ) drive the selection of the operator, unless you want to simulate something that in reality doesn't exist: your home ground crew always following your plane. Yes, we DO have an option for that, the "Virtual airlines override", which is there because VA users asked for it, but it's not enabled by default.

Yes, I don't need that explained to me, I understand that. I was just commenting on how in practice, in my situation where I am not trying to specify and airline but a ground handler, it's stupid and there really should be an easier way to do this.

That's not the point of this thread at all anyway so let's continue back on track.

Which other parking codes are there on that parking ? As I've said, an airport present in the rules_handling.cfg file with the maximum score ( 4 characters matching ) is only the FIRST prerequisite for an operator to be POSSIBLY chosen.

I am using FlyTampa YSSY with a customised AFCAD file. The codes for bay 10, the bay in my previous screenshots are LAN, QTR, UAE and QFA.

For example, using the default scenery, which has NO airline codes on the parking, YSSY has the following operators, all tied for maximum score:

Virgin Australia
Qantas
DNATA
Jet

So, I tried going to default YSSY just now and, sure enough, I have all 4 of them, as expected

And as per those codes, the only one who operates ground handling in YSSY is QFA, and so the other three are not an option, as in the screenshot in my previous post, showing all the other available operators.

With the exception of dnata.

But... When I make the DNAT2 operator, my clone of dnata (as per my previous post) THEY SHOW UP  :o
Are you starting to see why I think this is an issue related to dnata?

Also, side note, but Qantas don't do their own handling anymore so they possibly shouldn't be an option for handling anywhere. I also understand that GSX has airlines doing their own handling in hubs in many places where that's not the case in real life, so I'm not sure if that's something that you would be interested in changing.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 05:22:16 pm »
Yes, I don't need that explained to me, I understand that. I was just commenting on how in practice, in my situation where I am not trying to specify and airline but a ground handler, it's stupid.

I'm not sure what do you mean here. You suggested that airline codes should drive the operator choice and you are still saying is "stupid" not to allow that, I replied why it's NOT "stupid" and, in fact, is the proper way of doing it.

and there really should be an easier way to do this.

You haven't followed my previous explanation. There IS an "easier" way, and it worked in P3D V4, that is you simply choose the operator from the list, which includes BOTH "stock" GSX operators AND custom textures you made.

Because the interface was made assuming both stock and custom textures could be used together, it was really tied to the Render to Texture feature so, disabling this, because P3D V5 doesn't support DirectX 11 ( the RTT feature requires DX 11 ), the UI doesn't allow you to select an operator, not even a stock one.

We WILL fix this, in an upcoming update that will reintroduce multiple liveries made in FSX-style ( not using RTT ), which will not restore the "full" custom texture feature, but at least will allow you to select one of the stock operators that come in GSX from the list, something you can't do now.

My subsequent "complex" explanation was made in order to let you change the operator ANYWAY in P3D V5, even if the "easier" selection is not yet available to you.

I am using FlyTampa YSSY with a customised AFCAD file. The codes for bay 10, the bay in my previous screenshots are LAN, QTR, UAE and QFA.

Which explains perfectly why DNATA doesn't work. QFA, which is one of the 4 operators that would normally be tied at maximum score at YSSY, is present on that parking so, it's winning the tie against the others.

And as per those codes, the only one who operates ground handling in YSSY is QFA, and so the other three are not an option, as in the screenshot in my previous post, showing all the other available operators.

In your previous screenshot, you show the GSX airline codes, now you are showing the codes from ADE. If you edit the codes in GSX, those in ADE won't be used anymore so, you put Menzies and Swissport and, sure enough, they show up, and QFA didn't, exactly as expected.

With the exception of dnata.

But... When I make the DNAT2 operator, my clone of dnata (as per my previous post) THEY SHOW UP  :o
Are you starting to see why I think this is an issue related to dnata?

This is something I can neither explain nor replicate, since as I've said in my previous post, I added DNATA and IT WORKS. There's nothing special or different about it, it's called DNATA, and it works here as DNATA, I have no idea why it doesn't work for you.

Note that, you set Swissport but, the correct code should be _SWP. But that's not really the issue, it might work both ways, just _SWP is the shortcut for "Swissport International", which is a longer name included in an internal GSX database, if you don't use it, you might just see "Swissport", that would work too.

https://youtu.be/Iw8Ec0RkhJA

As you can see, DNATA works just fine, even together with others. I don't have FlyTampa YSSY but, as I've said, once you insert airline codes in GSX, the ones in the underlying .BGL are not used so, it shouldn't matter which scenery you use.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 05:42:46 pm by virtuali »