Author Topic: Released: Multiplayer Carrier Ops - Nimitz  (Read 156067 times)

Orion

Re: Released: Multiplayer Carrier Ops - Nimitz
« Reply #210 on: March 03, 2010, 12:29:07 am »
I thought I set the weather to visibility 50 miles with 3/8 cirrus clouds :P.

Madadog

• VFR Reviews
« Reply #211 on: March 04, 2010, 06:34:44 pm »
Gents,

Not sure if I'll be able to join you for this week's flight, as I have some business to take care of (hmm...that sounds a little too shady and mob-like  8)). Rather, some people are coming over to help my dad and I shift some furniture around, so I want to get an early night the night before (which is when the flight will be). I may be able to join, but I'm still not sure yet. So there may be no ball call for Madadog. I'll have to compensate by watching a movie about elite F-14 pilots...
Adam "Madadog" Johnson.

“Madadog, 1.5 miles. Madadog, roger ball, yaddi, yaddi, yadda."
"Hmm...I am a bit left. Are you sure you can't move the carrier over a bit?"

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #212 on: March 04, 2010, 10:17:56 pm »
Sorry to hear that Mada, will look for you later in the week.

On another note, here is a teaching tutorial for the carrier approach along with some of the verbiage that is required.  You dont HAVE to do it to get "paddles" from me, but if you are a stickler for realism, its a good starting point.  Including most people who respond in the "Maverick has the ball" style.  Makes me laugh, every time!!!  ;D

http://everything2.com/title/How+to+land+a+jet+plane+on+an+aircraft+carrier

For those of you that have received actual "grades" from me, read the lower paragraphs and dont feel bad when I give you a "fair" approach.  In real life, its a very common grade.  I know everyone wants to read their Trap Gauge and get an OK 2/3, but the only time you earn an OK is when you are flying an approach, and hear TWO OR LESS correction calls from me.  If I ask you to read your ENTIRE Gauge to me (not just the wire), its because you got the prerequisite 2 or less corrections but At The Ramp you were a hair hi/low and I want to know your readings.  At that point, Im about to give you an OK, unless the gauge tells me something really off and that you massively overcorrected high/low At The Ramp.  Isnt that right, Simon... nice OK 2! 8)

For hardcore FSX Naval Aviators, using the PLAT Cam crosshairs, here are my correction call standards:
Course (lateral) = Jet is halfway (or more) to the side crosshair point for two or more seconds w/no attempted self-correction.
GlideSlope (Alt) = Jet is on/above/below vertical crosshair point for two or more seconds w/no attempted self-correction.

If you maintain inside these standards, I wont say jack, and thats the goal.  There is a caveat, that if you are off-course/glideslope for too long or too close to the ship to correct in time, you will get a wave/off. :-[

The BEST you can do is after I call "Roger, ball", you hear nothing from me til you are spooling down, at which point Im probly thinking of why you cant get an OK Underlined?  Which I will give if you kept the jet centered in the crosshairs from The Start (3/4 mile) to the Wire.

Later
Sludge

sonofabeech

• sonofabeech is in the slot
« Reply #213 on: March 04, 2010, 11:27:45 pm »
Thanks Sludge OK 2 is a great way to start off my greenie board campaign  ;D methinks you were a bit generous but hey I will take it and run like the wind before you change your mind lol.

Wanted to take the opportunity to thank you publicly on the boards on behalf of myself and the rest of the Multi crew for your selfless efforts to make this the most realistic enjoyable multiplayer carrier ops for those of you that dont know Sludge is more often than not the guy piloting the refueling tanker or acting as the Air Boss and LSO simultaneously while the rest of us tear up the skies in the hornets. Sludge is also the guy who hangs back from joining in the session immediately to help people with connection issues/incompatible files etc..and who does individual flight training with guys during the week.

Seriously dude you are the most unselfish pilot I have ever known.

Sonofabeech out

Simon"Sonofa"Beech
If you have use full afterburner to taxi to your parking spot it means that you landed with your gear up!!

Paco

« Reply #214 on: March 05, 2010, 01:57:55 pm »
All,

I concur, great job Sludge and thank you for your efforts........(actually I'm just smacking up, so he gives me good landing grades).  No seriously, thanks.

Paco

Pop

plat cam
« Reply #215 on: March 05, 2010, 02:21:54 pm »
Where is the link to the plat cam?  Had it once, but its is "gone" now??

Orion

« Reply #216 on: March 05, 2010, 04:35:10 pm »
The PLAT Camera gauge comes with the mission.  If you have the mission installed, look for the PLAT Camera directory within the mission folder (Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Missions\Just for Fun\SFCarrier2).  If you still can't find it, I believe Jivko has a separate upload somewhere at SimV.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #217 on: March 05, 2010, 06:13:04 pm »
Thanks fellas for the good words...

And seriously, its rewarding to see what this has become since I started virtual flying in August '09 and learned the ins/outs of FSX Naval Aviation.  My only regret being, why did it take soo long to get this going?  Was very surprised at the "state of the Hornet" when I first started.  I thought with all the paints, modifications, and such, that someone woulda already created a "Sludge Hornet" before the Sludge Hornet was a twinkle in my eye.  If you laughed at that, you are definately an "older person".

In implementing all the changes we have done (new HUD, carrier missions, Sludge Hornet), I try to remember when I first started and how intimidating it was...  and thats where I start from, to make the learning curve from expert FSX flyer (paco) to newbie (tregarth) as painless and enjoyable as possible.  Plus, Im a believer that no matter your level of seriousness, you are welcome here and can ask my help anytime.

While we are reflecting, I would like to give much thanks to Neutrino for the HUD and many additions, IceCream for THE MISSION, and definately DonDon for his selflessness and pretty much making a working archive of all our weekend multiplayer flights.  Plus, DonDon always lightens up the mood with his well-timed and funny one-liners.  If you guys were closer (and older for a few of ya), would take you out and buy you all a round of drinks!

Cant wait to fly this weekend, the bursitis in my shoulder is lightening up!

Later
Sludge

neutrino

Re: plat cam
« Reply #218 on: March 05, 2010, 06:45:47 pm »
Where is the link to the plat cam?  Had it once, but its is "gone" now??

You can download the PLAT gauge separately from here: http://www.simviation.com/simviation/?ID=7255

J.R.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #219 on: March 05, 2010, 10:24:17 pm »
Go check out the Saitek X-65F Combat Control System.

IF this is considered advertising and goes against forum policy, feel free to delete.  I was simply putting it out there for information purposes, since we are alot of sim Hornet FSXer's, and just wanted everyone to see the new Saitek flight controller that I for one would love to have.  Kinda reminds me of the Suncom F-15E Strike Eagle stick thats more based on the McDonnell Douglas/Boeing stick but with the modern flexibility of USB and a better Saitek look to it.

Dont get me wrong, I like the x52, but this would be the king of all controllers for me, considering it is based on the F-15/F-18 style and not the F-16 style like most (and mine, specifically) are now.  And with the VRS SuperBug coming out, IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY, this would be the perfect compliment for that Add-On.

Later
Sludge

Paco

« Reply #220 on: March 06, 2010, 01:48:57 pm »
Guys,

I won't make it this weekend.  Drill weekend, but I'll be there next week.  Have fun.

Paco

Madadog

• VFR Reviews
« Reply #221 on: March 06, 2010, 04:34:59 pm »
Either Paco has military obligations, or he's spending a suspicious amount of time out in the garage with his power drills over the weekend.  :P

Have a good flight guys. Hopefully Don will create a multi-part cinematic masterpiece as usual.  ;D
Adam "Madadog" Johnson.

“Madadog, 1.5 miles. Madadog, roger ball, yaddi, yaddi, yadda."
"Hmm...I am a bit left. Are you sure you can't move the carrier over a bit?"

Razgriz

« Reply #222 on: March 06, 2010, 06:36:00 pm »
Go check out the Saitek X-65F Combat Control System.

IF this is considered advertising and goes against forum policy, feel free to delete.  I was simply putting it out there for information purposes, since we are alot of sim Hornet FSXer's, and just wanted everyone to see the new Saitek flight controller that I for one would love to have.  Kinda reminds me of the Suncom F-15E Strike Eagle stick thats more based on the McDonnell Douglas/Boeing stick but with the modern flexibility of USB and a better Saitek look to it.

Dont get me wrong, I like the x52, but this would be the king of all controllers for me, considering it is based on the F-15/F-18 style and not the F-16 style like most (and mine, specifically) are now.  And with the VRS SuperBug coming out, IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY, this would be the perfect compliment for that Add-On.

Later
Sludge

Just a heads up, this is a rival to the HOTAS Cougar with FSSB mod.  The stick does NOT move.  It is a pressure sensitive stick.  It takes a while to get used to, but it is amazing once you're used to it.

Paco

« Reply #223 on: March 07, 2010, 02:46:34 pm »
Either Paco has military obligations, or he's spending a suspicious amount of time out in the garage with his power drills over the weekend.  :P

Have a good flight guys. Hopefully Don will create a multi-part cinematic masterpiece as usual.  ;D

Military obligations, but I do have an assortment of power tools in my workshop.  Hope you guys had a good flight.
r/,
BF

Sucotash

« Reply #224 on: March 08, 2010, 03:12:57 pm »
Video from March 6, 2010

You're in the slot!