Author Topic: Released: Multiplayer Carrier Ops - Nimitz  (Read 156055 times)

neutrino

Re: Released: Multiplayer Carrier Ops - Nimitz
« Reply #135 on: February 12, 2010, 10:02:48 pm »
I'll be flying too  8)

Orion

« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2010, 12:28:40 am »
Just a FYI- We'll be using the currently available version, not the beta.

sonofabeech

• sonofabeech is in the slot
« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2010, 07:58:40 am »
Will be there... what time are you starting the session? and which version are you running? sf carrier 2.0? or 2.2
seeya later
Simon"Sonofa"Beech
If you have use full afterburner to taxi to your parking spot it means that you landed with your gear up!!

Orion

« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2010, 08:58:05 am »
Will be there... what time are you starting the session? and which version are you running? sf carrier 2.0? or 2.2
seeya later
1 PM my time, as usual and 2.0 since some of the people who don't (or rather shouldn't *cough cough*) have the beta are joining.

Paco

« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2010, 02:42:20 am »
Guys,

Here's a few screen shots of Saturday's multiplayer session with Legoman, Afterburn and myself.  Legoman and I ran the session long after the sun went down....it gets harder to land believe you me.  What was really interesting was that I was playing in my office and the sun outside set at about the same rate as it did in the mission.  I had no lights on in the office so it was dark in real life and the virtual world.  I crashed twice, night adds a layer of difficulty.  I really wish the lights in FSX did blow-up like they do.  And yes I have light bloom off.  If anyone has a fix to the halo around the lights let me know.  Anyway enjoy the pics.  The pics are from yesterday's session and some from previous. Also I tried out a new utility called "Formation AI".  It's in the latest edition of PC Pilot.  It's freeware and it allows formation flying.  The pic with the Canadian F/A-18's is from that.
   Nice job to Afterburn and Legoman for some good formation flying.  I really miss formation flying and FSX is the closest I can get.  Thanks.

As a side note.  Let's watch the language please.  My kid is 2.5 years old and he's a parrot when it comes to repeating stuff that comes out of my speakers.  If you want to land a 737 on the deck, I don't care.  If you want to fly a helo out to the boat, I don't care.  One small request, my son will learn the "F-bomb" from me no doubt, don't rob me of teaching him that.

Paco

Sucotash

« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2010, 06:28:13 pm »
I completely agree Paco, Kids will pick up undesirable habits too soon, no sense making it easier for them and harder for their parents. Here is a video from last weekend. My only regret is that we didn't have Paco, Legoman and Afterburner in our session. Sludge was trying to improve his golf game.  ;D

« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 06:31:09 pm by dfiler »
You're in the slot!

neutrino

« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2010, 07:33:13 pm »
Paco, I tried this "Formation AI" utility - everything works fine, but the AI planes, although they maintain speed and altitude perfectly, they are constantly pitching up and down - making small oscillations around their CG. It is more visible when it is a big plane. Did you observe something like this when you tried it ?

Paco

« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2010, 08:37:05 pm »
Neutrino,

Yes, I got the oscillations as well, although not too bad the slower you flew.  I also noticed that if I just did one plane instead of four, there were no oscillations, so that might be a factor. 
   A better way to practice formation is to use FS recorder.  I have several FS recorder flights that I fly form on.  I'm able to do a full training sequence like we did in the military.  I fly the flight as lead, record it, then fly as the wingman.  I find power setting are better.  Ideally the best eay is to fly online/multiplayer.

/r,
Paco

neutrino

« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2010, 08:49:41 pm »
Paco, unfortunately I had the osciallation problem even with one plane. I first tried a KC-135 for refueling at 250 kts, then I tested with the F/A-18 - they may be a little smaller with the Hornet.

I agree about FSRecorder, especially the new 2.0 version, where you can record at 1/32 second intervals and even 1 frame intervals. This smooths out any jitters you may have experienced with the previous 1.3 version (the smaller the interval - the less interpolation it has to do between data points).

MP is really fun too - I sucked at formation flying initially, but I am getting much better now thanks to Orion's mission and me chasing other planes as they land ;D But I still can't "fly paint" properly and rely too much on instruments.

JR
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 09:15:41 pm by neutrino »

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2010, 10:03:35 pm »
Hey fellas...

After talking with several people on Skype, Im starting to come up with a plan for the weekend Multiplayer missions.  Even tho I wasnt there, Ive heard legit complaints about not being able to fly because for whatever reason (wrong SFMission2 version, no Sludge Hornet, previous AICarrier/Javier's carrier interference), which caused the "unable to connect" error.  To remedy this, what I propose is a timeline to fly w/required "observer" check prior to showtime.  It will work like this...

If you want to fly, show up in Skype 30 mins prior to agreed flight time.  Join in the main chat (usually hosted by Orion).  No later than 15 minutes prior to launch, get FSX up and try to join in a hosted multiplayer SFmission2 session as an "observer".  If you have the required files (SFCarrier2, Sludge Hornet) and you are able to connect, you can stay in the chat room and be ready to launch on time.

If you get the error and cannot launch and are one of the unfortunate few who have GLITCHES and cannot connect, you must disconnect from the main "flying" Skype conference hosted by Orion.  I will host a Skype "Help Line" conference and will do everything in my power to get you to a baseline setup to get you flying.  We will completely uninstall the SFCarrier2 mission then reinstall to ensure a baseline setup, then making sure you dont have the 2.2 beta, along with checking that you have the basic Sludge Hornet files.  If we have tried everything possible and you still cannot connect, you wont be able to join the multiplayer session w/the group but only fly your own sessions.  At that point, IF you still wanna fly w/us in the multiplayer, I suggest you NUKE your FSX and start from scratch.

Now some might consider my proposal harsh, however, in light of the last few multiplayer sessions and the need to be respectful to others who have families and tight windows in which they can fly, this needs to happen.  Remember, I dont have a family of my own, so I fly ALOT in the multiplayer during the week.  Thats why Im offering the "help line" conference.  My goal is to get everyone who wants a chance to fly in the multiplayer weekend session.  It really is a lot of fun, w/a bit of actual carrier operations going on.  You learn some, fly alot, and generally have a great time!!

If anyone has any other ideas shoot them my way.  Im just putting this up as a starter and am very open to new ideas.

Later
Sludge

neutrino

« Reply #145 on: February 15, 2010, 10:27:27 pm »
I think once we all have the same version of the mission, almost all problems will be eliminated. I really want to see a session with 10 people or more ;D The help line call is also a very good idea !

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #146 on: February 15, 2010, 10:58:28 pm »
Additionally...

I see people still flying a nose down ("waterline" below the HUD artificial horizon) landing profile when 3/4 mile in.  Remember, a navy carrier landing is flown with the "waterline" at 5 deg up (as shown in the picture), while the velocity vector is between 2-4 deg (3 deg optimum) down.  The function of putting the "waterline" on the 5 deg up ensures that once you call the ball and fly the ball, along with a "donut" indexer, you will be "on-glideslope" AND "on-speed" no matter your a/c weight.

The picture I used is from KBT Superhornet, and there are some discrepancies with JR's newer correct HUD, such as the AoA being displayed w/an Amber donut on the Indexer.  Also, we dont have an "ACLS tadpole", no big deal.  However, the flight profile in the picture is accurate.  The Waterline shows the wing chord line in relation to the pitch ladder.  In the picture it is at 5 deg. nose up.  The Velocity Vector/Flight Path Marker shows the plane's instantanous predicted line of flight, it is 3.0 deg down.  The angle that separates the Waterline and Velocity Vector is your Angle of Attack, which is denoted by the "Alpha" symbol and 8.0 in the HUD, as seen on the picture.

This is the heart of flying a Navy Carrier landing.  Practice this over land, intercepting an ILS and flying the "bullseye'd" (as shown in the picture) ILS to the PAPI lights, and then flying the PAPI lights (2 white left side, 2 red right side =  on-glideslope, visual) to touchdown.  Once you can do this instinctually, take it to the boat and simply change the details.  Meatball instead of PAPI lights.  ICLS/TACAN instead of land-based ILS.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 12:52:02 am by Sludge »

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #147 on: February 15, 2010, 11:04:13 pm »
Neutrino...

Id like to think so, but remember, in the beginning I had problems when I first got on the multi SFCarriers2 mission.  Simply getting everyone to the same mission version may not be the cure-all it seems.  I think it will cure most of the problems, but others, like me, who had conflicts with AICarriers2 AND/OR Javier's Carriers BEFORE version 2.2 beta was ever out, need to get a uninstall/reinstall done to wipe their systems.

More to the point, IF a person cant launch, I will be there to help.  Whereas people that can launch can "go play" and not have to wait around in a lobby for hours.  Thats the biggest point Im trying to make.

Later
Sludge

sonofabeech

• sonofabeech is in the slot
« Reply #148 on: February 15, 2010, 11:47:33 pm »
sounds like a great idea to me  :)
Simon"Sonofa"Beech
If you have use full afterburner to taxi to your parking spot it means that you landed with your gear up!!

Paco

« Reply #149 on: February 15, 2010, 11:59:06 pm »
Hey fellas...

After talking with several people on Skype, Im starting to come up with a plan for the weekend Multiplayer missions.  Even tho I wasnt there, Ive heard legit complaints about not being able to fly because for whatever reason (wrong SFMission2 version, no Sludge Hornet, previous AICarrier/Javier's carrier interference), which caused the "unable to connect" error.  To remedy this, what I propose is a timeline to fly w/required "observer" check prior to showtime.  It will work like this...

If you want to fly, show up in Skype 30 mins prior to agreed flight time.  Join in the main chat (usually hosted by Orion).  No later than 15 minutes prior to launch, get FSX up and try to join in a hosted multiplayer SFmission2 session as an "observer".  If you have the required files (SFCarrier2, Sludge Hornet) and you are able to connect, you can stay in the chat room and be ready to launch on time.

If you get the error and cannot launch and are one of the unfortunate few who have GLITCHES and cannot connect, you must disconnect from the main "flying" Skype conference hosted by Orion.  I will host a Skype "Help Line" conference and will do everything in my power to get you to a baseline setup to get you flying.  We will completely uninstall the SFCarrier2 mission then reinstall to ensure a baseline setup, then making sure you dont have the 2.2 beta, along with checking that you have the basic Sludge Hornet files.  If we have tried everything possible and you still cannot connect, you wont be able to join the multiplayer session w/the group but only fly your own sessions.  At that point, IF you still wanna fly w/us in the multiplayer, I suggest you NUKE your FSX and start from scratch.

Now some might consider my proposal harsh, however, in light of the last few multiplayer sessions and the need to be respectful to others who have families and tight windows in which they can fly, this needs to happen.  Remember, I dont have a family of my own, so I fly ALOT in the multiplayer during the week.  Thats why Im offering the "help line" conference.  My goal is to get everyone who wants a chance to fly in the multiplayer weekend session.  It really is a lot of fun, w/a bit of actual carrier operations going on.  You learn some, fly alot, and generally have a great time!!

If anyone has any other ideas shoot them my way.  Im just putting this up as a starter and am very open to new ideas.

Later
Sludge

Sludge,

Works for me.  I'll be the on Saturday.
/r,
Paco