Author Topic: Favorite Wake effects?  (Read 14166 times)

Intrepid

Favorite Wake effects?
« on: December 06, 2009, 05:48:26 pm »
Hello to all fellow Simmers out there;
with all these New awesome effects (Hud and the new Carrier) I was wondering, 
Has anybody came up with a decent replacement for the wake effect in the sim
The default one is simply lacking ,to say the least
I have seen some out there ,I would like to know if there are any favorites before
I down load a whole bunch and waste a lot of time sorting out the best
Thanks for the input
Randy

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: Favorite Wake effects?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 05:58:29 pm »
Sorry about the lack of response, as I too would like a better wake.  I use the wake with the add-on carriers, but it still does that cut-off stuff.

Was hoping with all the modding skillz that people have shown, something would come up, but so far, nada.

Guess we are just stuck with what we got?!  Good question tho...

Later
Sludge

Intrepid

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 01:58:12 am »
Thanks for the reply Sludge
For a bit there I thought My question was too far out there
I just thought that getting a more realistic wake would increase the immersion even more  ::)
like I commented earlier ,the people who love this hobby will out-do the original designers by a mile. The latest additions prove that. Thanks again for all who have contributed to this site
Randy

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 02:57:38 am »
I think, Randy, that your quest for a better wake is definitely on then, especially if we've got a working fix for the cut-off problem.

I been looking at some photos of carrier wakes. So far the pics I've seen don't seem to show as much spread out laterally as the default wake has, and I'll wager that there are some better textures around too.

Do you think there are some good ones out there to be had, sir?
FSX Community Tweaks and Fixes at Voodoo's Hangar - voodoo.wikispaces.com

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 03:24:23 am »
Sea / Wind / Light conditions combined with Ship Speed can vary the wake dramatically. Here is an olde pic from USS Midway days in 1971. From the look of it the wind is there but not much ship speed to create much of a wake, sea state is relatively calm. Notice the displacement with approaching Recon Crusader being on angle deck centreline. Probably the MIDWAY angle was more than most (it had a lot of deck overhang) but I cannot remember what it was for the moment.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 05:16:12 am »
Very good points, Spaz. I found a technical dissertation below that talks about wake components, and just how speed of ship and water conditions and type can affect the ship's wake.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/jul2001/994688283.Ph.r.html

Your photograph highlights well what seems to be the two main visual effects that need to be taken into consideration in order to produce a good wake effect in FSX:
One is the wake which forms from the bow wave which, after reading the attached link, I understand to be called the "Kelvin" wake; and the other is the turbulent wake that is formed from the propeller wash and eddies at the stern of the ship.

I was amazed, when I started reading about this stuff, at just how many other components there are to a ship's wake! So I took a serious look at how FSX tries to represent wake effects by going through the Effects folder and also studying the attachpoints in the boat models, and I noticed that the developers have picked up on exactly the same two main visual wake features as observed above.

In most of the FSX ships, the developers have combined the Kelvin wake and turbulent wake into a single effect (and defined it in the boat's sim.cfg file), BUT noticeably in the warships (i.e. the carrier, cruiser, destroyer and CG cutter) they have split them into separate "bow wake" and "main wake" effects (and hard coded them into the MDL files).

So, if we can ask Randy to check back in with those FSX wake effect sources he's seen, we may be able to find some good ones that really capture the  essence of a good realistic looking wake, and get them  onto our models!

Intrepid

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 03:48:48 pm »
When I get a chance Gordon I will ,I had them in my other computer, before the crash 
and have yet to find and re-install everything on the new System
Randy
P>S> Has anybody still have the Flight Deck 4 or 5 on there system,,I cant remember how that wake effect looked?

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
New Wakes - WIP
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 03:20:13 am »
This is very much a work in progress, but I have sussed out what needs to be done to get all the warships working with wakes that don't segment. The cruiser and destroyer are done quite differently to the carriers and they used effects files that were shared with other boats, so I've had to fiddle around with the model files to get them working without affecting other AI models. Whilst that complicated things a wee bit, it has opened the door for some added touches, such as a bow spray effect!

So, now I've figured it out a bit better, all the warships should be do-able, and time permitting I may revisit the carriers again.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 01:03:46 am by Voodoo »

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 04:23:13 am »
Nice one, Voodoo. Looking good.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

JamesChams

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 04:55:50 am »
 :o Outstanding Mr. "Voodoo"!  8)
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

Intrepid

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 02:12:37 pm »
Wow !! :o
You defiantly have worked some of your "VooDoo Magic" again
I don't know where you find the time or patience
Your contributions to this hobby are greatly appreciated
Nice work Gordon 8)
Randy

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 08:34:53 pm »
Any status on the new wake with bow splash effects?

Later
Sludge

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 11:55:38 pm »
My profound apologies for being so late with this!  :-[ I've been out of circulation and have barely touched a computer outside of work for the last couple of months. :(

The new wakes and bow waves are finished and can be downloaded from this link:
http://voodoo.wikispaces.com/Carrier+Enhancements

A couple of demo videos can be viewed at this link:
http://voodoo.mediashare.com/?selectedalbum=voodoo449305

It's great to see so much activity on the board since I last visited...it'll take me another couple of months to catch up!!!

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 03:11:48 pm »
Thanks, Voodoo! At last we have real-looking wake  8)
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

JamesChams

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 04:30:03 pm »
My profound apologies for being so late with this!  :-[ I've been out of circulation and have barely touched a computer outside of work for the last couple of months. :(

The new wakes and bow waves are finished and can be downloaded from this link:
http://voodoo.wikispaces.com/Carrier+Enhancements

A couple of demo videos can be viewed at this link:
http://voodoo.mediashare.com/?selectedalbum=voodoo449305

It's great to see so much activity on the board since I last visited...it'll take me another couple of months to catch up!!!

Tremendously Good Work there, Mr. VooDoo!!!  8)
I'm going to add this to the Naval Package after I get every thing up again and tested.  Thanks again! ;D
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams