Author Topic: P3D V5 - Install location  (Read 2366 times)

aceridgey

P3D V5 - Install location
« on: May 13, 2020, 03:18:53 pm »
Hi guys,

Just installed the installer from website, everything looked good and correct, including the install path D:/P3dv5 addons / Addon Manager,

But I don't see the 'addon manager' in the V5 installation. V4 addon manager fodler is correctly there.

Any ideas?

Alex

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: P3D V5 - Install location
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 06:27:14 pm »
There's no such thing as a "V4 Addon Manager" folder, as it was somewhat separate from a "V5 Addon manager" folder or an "FSX Addon Manager" folder.

There's only ONE Addon Manager folder, and only ONE copy of the Addon Manager installed in any system. The only thing that changes from a simulator to the other one, are some difference in the enabled software modules so, for example, 32 bit Addon Manager is bglmanx.dll, V4 Addon Manager is bglmanx64.dll and V5 Addon Manager is bglmanx65.dll.

The installer will of course configure each sim correctly and pointing to only the files it needs to use.

So, even if you decided to override the default installation path, and install the ONE and ONLY Addon Manager in a folder named "D:/P3dv5 addons / Addon Manager", the only thing you'll achieved is just that confusing name but you effectively installed and configured ALL simulators to use that folder. Not that this would make any difference, since they will work anyway.

Unless, you made something entirely different, like selecting a folder for your V5 Addon, because you assumed you needed separate Addon Manager installations, and selected only V5 to install. This would surely cause a big mess, because you are not supposed to install multiple copies in different folders.

To prevent further confusion, I suggest doing as follows:

- Uninstall EVERYTHING from FSDT.

- Reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?" - THIS is VERY important

- Check if still have other Addon Manager folders installed elsewhere. If you do, remove those folders manually.

- Reinstall everything, obviously using only the latest installers that supports P3D V5 as well.

- Choose a sane folder name which would make abundantly clear to you there's only ONE Addon Manager shared between all simulators, for example D:\ which will results in all FSDT products installing into D:\Addon Manager.

aceridgey

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 07:36:30 pm »
Hello,

So actually in that case, if there is one addon folder, currently sitting in the P3d V4 folder, V5 is also reading from that? So if i want to add any custom GSX related profiles to that i just direct it to that folder?

Kind regards,

Alex
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 05:45:29 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 05:45:34 pm »
So actually in that case, if there is one addon folder, currently sitting in the P3d V4 folder, V5 is also reading from that?

As I've said, you shouldn't install our addons INSIDE the simulator, it doesn't make any sense considering our products are following all LM suggestions to always install OUTSIDE the simulator. Yes, the installer won't stop you from doing that, but it's best if you don't.

So if i want to add any custom GSX related profiles to that i just direct it to that folder?

Custom GSX profiles are never installed in the GSX own folder to begin with. They are installed in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali folder which, again, is also entirely independent from the simulator used.

Please follow my suggestion how to uninstall and reinstall everything, and choose a folder outside the simulator. It's much better doing that, especially when you'll finally uninstall V4, so it won't affect GSX in any way.