Author Topic: NEW Realistic HUD for the Hornet  (Read 112871 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: NEW Realistic HUD for the Hornet
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2009, 03:15:49 am »
As far as I know, the NATOPS manual is copyrighted and sold at several sites so, better be safe than sorry, and not linking it here.

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2009, 03:23:57 am »
Spaz...

I talked to Neutrino and he's all over the T-45, so I'll leave that to him as he's proven a very capable modder and experimenter.  So far, have been pleased with the C/Sim FA-18D as its at most ONE plane length difference in v/vector to MLG touchdown.

Also, another "DOH!" moment.  I REALLY need to read the fine print and pay attention to details.  I have been landing with the HUD "UNCAGED", when ALL the real-life HUD videos have the HUD caged.  Again, makes it soo much easier to do it that way and learned real quick that I dont have to fight the HUD but can use it to get into the ball park and work the basics from there.

Good flying fellas.  Later
Sludge

** Virtuali... didnt know you could copyright gov't material that isnt classified?  Isnt the issue whether its FOUO?  I do understand why you dont want that link put out here though, protecting this site from any action that would bring bad attention. **

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2009, 04:06:14 am »
Virtuali, I'm not going to argue because I don't have other commercial website NATOPS manuals for the Hornet or Super Hornet to compare. The other aircraft NATOPS (Skyhawk) I have bought are very low quality scans of actual manuals. The one offered here: http://www.vfa-41.net/Home_Page.php is an electronic PDF copy that looks to be unclassified. There is just general information about the Super Hornet. On that same page is a very good Hornet Video featuring weapons work with HUD video. At the end there is a Carrier Landing with HUD Visible along with AoA Indexer but sadly the lights are not visible in dark shadow.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

neutrino

« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2009, 11:25:10 am »
Hey Spaz, I was waiting for your opinion on the landing, so I am glad you liked it ;D I was way too fast all the way to the ramp, but then I got the donut  8) The idea was to make a super fast circuit and a very short time in the groove, while still observing (some of) the rules for proper CV landing  ::)

J.R.

NEUTRINO: Finally got to look at the HD video at your first post on this thread on the first page (had only dialup speed for awhile). What a great video - especially liked the super fast day carrier landing circuit [turn off the G effects :-) ]. OUTSTANDING!

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2009, 12:21:08 pm »
Neutrino, Cannot see the doughnut without changing the lightness in the video. Maybe on your screen you can see it but not on mine. I guess I can look at the HUD indications later. Anyway in real life the LSO would tell you what to do if you were not doing it properly. It is scary enough for him without you trying to scare him deliberately.  ;D  Certainly it was impressive! Can you do a 1.25G approach in a continous turn. Probably doing a circuit at 300 feet level in the turn until you see the ball. That is how A4Gs did it in the early 1970s.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 03:17:12 am by SpazSinbad »

JamesChams

« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2009, 01:51:50 am »
Mr. Christian "Sludge" Snow,
Got some bad news for ya.  I'm DONE with the Tomcat.  Dont like how it feels, handles, or how the HUD looks in the glass.  Its almost impossible to keep correllated without being able to read other necessary instruments and in general is NO FUN to fly.  I was zoomed in at 1.0 and at best in my inital tests, I was at least 3 plane lengths difference in the all-important "v/vector to MLG touchdown" correlation ratio and I have no idea how to make it better.

So, far in my test - Its been working correctly, even with the profile numbers of the Tomcat's approach vector info. etc.  But, if you follow the Glideslope (GS) down to just before the third wire, it appears to indicate a little higher GS then one would expect; but, thats what the BALL is for, to compensate for Instrumental vs. Visual inaccuracies... 

Im gonna stick with the CS F/A-18D and enjoy that bird for a while.  Will get back to you with results there.
Again, sorry but I just felt nothing but frustration working with the Dino Tomcat.

Don't feel too bad; Dino's F-14D flies more like the real aircraft than you'd think (minus any Fly-by-Wire system) ...
It takes a skilled pilot, who know how to make the corrective changes to get it correct.   Its NOT just a matter of putting the numbers where they should be; its also a matter of feel and foresight (what we call in the industry - "Keeping ahead of the aircraft").  This is something that takes training and lots of practise (experience).  So, when your ready, it might be a challenge for you to try.

Thanks again!  :)
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

wilycoyote4

« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2009, 02:01:31 am »
So, far in my test - Its been working correctly, even with the profile numbers of the Tomcat's approach vector info. etc.  But, if you follow the Glideslope (GS) down to just before the third wire, it appears to indicate a little higher GS then one would expect; but, thats what the BALL is for, to compensate for Instrumental vs. Visual inaccuracies...

A screenshot would be nice.  Do you have one to post of the F-14D?

JamesChams

« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2009, 03:48:31 am »

A screenshot would be nice.  Do you have one to post of the F-14D?

Here is one (pic) just on a offset approach; still testing...
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

wilycoyote4

« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2009, 07:44:18 am »
Thanks James, that was prompt. 

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2009, 08:09:48 am »
James...

Sorry, just didnt get a good feel for that bird using this HUD.  I went thru Navy Primary and know what "being ahead of the airplane" is all about, but I didnt get it with Dino's Tomcat.  Also, when I did the correllation tests, v/vector vs. MLG touchdown it wasnt even close.   Thats what I base the usefulness of the HUD off of, and honestly, thats what it should be.  If you watch Neutrino's second video on Youtube about that, youll see thats the surest way to test for correllation in FSX.  Does the v/vector give you close-to/equal sim-world landing response?  My results with the Tomcat were not good in that respect.

And I say this from an off-the-street personal perspective, as a person who is gonna include this HUD in their Tomcat.  The testing/thought process shouldnt require someone who has actual time in the jet to be able to work the HUD and landings with it.  It should be just as easy to do a Tomcat touch and go with this new HUD as it is with the Hornet to the FSX layperson, otherwise, why put it out there for others?  I say, if you want to do it for yourself, thats cool.  However, in evaluating its usefulness, you have to include the common person as well.  If its hard to work for a typical FSXer, then let them know the limitations.

Just my two cents.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2009, 08:22:04 am »
This is a request to everybody out there.

One final mod request I have is... does anybody know how to make the indexer more a part of the physical HUD left support bracket?  Heck, even move it down to dash level and to the right a bit?!  I would be enjoyable to not have to go to fullscreen everytime I get to 3/4 mile so I can see the ball all the way down.

That indexer just kills my view of the meatball when around approx. .4 to .1 range from the boat.  Any answers, even if no, are appreciated.

Thanks
Sludge

SpazSinbad

« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2009, 09:07:03 am »
Sludge, agree about AoA indexer position. Would it be possible to have a position that is not in the way at the critical seconds as Sludge points out? Moving to the right of support and down as suggested would be OK?

I guess one way around this issue is to have the best possible approach with 'deviations minimised with any corrections minimised' so that at the point the mirror disappears 'in close' - hold what you have - and you should be fine. I don't mean freeze because if you are heading for the spud locker then - WAVE OFF!  :o

idahosurge

« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2009, 03:56:07 pm »
Is the Accel F/A-18 Hud download on page four a 2d Hud for a 2D VC or is this a new Hud for the 3D VC, I am asking because the panel.cfg with the hud says 2D.

James C, if this is a Hud for the 3D VC would you post your panel.cfg for the Capt Sim F/A-18D, I looked at your mods on page five and there were kind of confusing.

Thanks and regards to all!

Rod

neutrino

« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2009, 02:21:58 am »
Is the Accel F/A-18 Hud download on page four a 2d Hud for a 2D VC or is this a new Hud for the 3D VC, I am asking because the panel.cfg with the hud says 2D.

James C, if this is a Hud for the 3D VC would you post your panel.cfg for the Capt Sim F/A-18D, I looked at your mods on page five and there were kind of confusing.

Thanks and regards to all!

Rod

The HUD package is a virtual cockpit HUD, and also contains an additional 2d HUD that you can use just like the default 2d HUD.

J.R.

Tony360

« Reply #104 on: December 26, 2009, 07:28:01 am »
Any chance of the HUD being implemented into the Captain Sim Xload F/A-18D? I've tried merging the panel files, but haven't had much luck.  :-\