Author Topic: NEW Realistic HUD for the Hornet  (Read 113215 times)

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
Re: NEW Realistic HUD for the Hornet
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2009, 12:28:46 am »
I like JamesChams idea: perhaps 'to put the new HUD on the freeware T-45C Goshawk' (and even the Tomcat) by Dino Cattaneo.

Sludge, on the Goshawk with a bit of wind and carrier speed it would take FOREVER to carrier land! But one could have the time - if needed - to see all the variables at work in REAL SLOW real time eh. For example I like to use the T-45C ashore in a 35 knot wind straight down the runway (no low level turbulence).
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

neutrino

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2009, 12:44:52 am »
Mr. Jivko Rusev "neutrino,"

I was, finally, able to install your HUD today and noticed that I had to edit the panel.cfg files for several additions.  Noticably, I needed to re-add (to the 2D/VC code) several custom gauge statement including the 3D Redux shockwave lights with this statement:-
Code: [Select]
gauge13=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_gear,  1,1,1,1 //shockwave light
I am also using the Clear glass textures.  Just wondering if there is any thing else that is missing from my install?  I hear from SOH that there were AB texture updates, wondered if anyone know where to get them or would be willing to PM them to me.

Hi James, there are probably some nice gauges out there that I left out, because I didn't have them myself. I just put the two standard ones that I knew many people use. A manual addition to the panel.cfg should not be a problem. I haven't tested the two you mention, but I am sure someone else here can provide more info if necessary.

Finally, reading the above post...

...the autopilot cannot be used with the carrier ILS, because the ILS data available in the HUD is not available to the autopilot, unlike traditional land based ILS. Even if it was though, I don't think the generic FSX AP would be able to keep up with the moving carrier, especially if you start out at 3 miles. The real F/A-18 and other naval aircraft can receive signals from a system called Automatic Carrier Landing System (ACLS) which is based on the carrier. It sends pitch and roll commands to the aircraft flight control surfaces to keep the jet on glidepath. The pilot however should be ready to uncouple immediately if he senses that the system is not providing adequate signals and continue with a manual approach.
Has this been tried with a custom AP rather than the FSX Default?

A custom Autopilot, an auto-throttle or even ACLS, would be a worthwile addition to the Hornet. I've thought about it, but came to the conclusion that any of those systems would be very difficult to get right. More importantly, it would be difficult to recreate the equivalent Hornet systems, as there is no documentation of how exactly they work. In fact, even the flight model of the Hornet is very difficult to do, and I have to say the ACES did an amazing job there - the Hornet flight characteristics - such as AOA, speed, flaps, landing speed etc. - are almost the same as in the NATOPS manual. It's not fly-by-wire, but let's see how the new VRS SuperBug would behave ;D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:48:11 am by neutrino »

neutrino

« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2009, 12:45:40 am »
PS: I would also like to add this to Mr. Dino Cattaneo's F-14D and T-45C; Any suggestions?

I am working on that right now. As soon as I finish the tests, I'll get back with the correct numbers for the panel.cfg.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:50:28 am by neutrino »

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2009, 12:49:32 am »
Spaz...

Ive put the earlier HUD on the T-45 and Tomcat, but not sure how it will translate to the T-45 and Tomcat.  Hey, the best I can do is try, right?!  Will get to work on that when I get a chance.  Plus, I dont think the ICLS needles or TACAN SteeringArrow will work, as hardly anything works on the T-45 and Tomcat like it does with the default Hornet (ie, using the UFC and the MFD touchbuttons to select GPS, TCN, ILS).

Also, since Im am working on slowing up the carrier (30 mph top speed), and only 5 kts headwind, the T-45 should land a bit faster than it had previously, right?!

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2009, 12:50:42 am »
Ha...  ask and thy shall receive!  Ill leave that up to you Neutrino.  Youre far more knowledgeable.

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2009, 01:38:28 am »
Sludge, I have never taken the Goshawk to a carrier. Because of testing of the 'never finished air file' KAHU Skyhawk work I have only ever gone to the carrier with the FSX Hornet (modded so well now). I think the max wind speed (in FSX) at low level anyway is 35 knots so that is why it is selected for testing work ashore. Seems reasonable but these are variables - up to a maximum. The LSO NATOPS manual (or similar) makes it clear that there is an ideal WOD and more than that can make deck landing difficult for various reasons. Higher natural wind is usually picking up the sea state to less than desirable also (not including any swell).

Time 'in the groove' can be worrisome for ops if it takes too long - for sure 'a short circuit is a good circuit'.   ;D   Many an aircraft gets a wave off if "too long in the groove".

My point perhaps about the Cattaneo Goshawk would be that it does fly at a much slower IAS (rightly or wrongly) so any wind effect is magnified for 'time in the groove' which can be a good thing for training purposes (but not for operational purposes).

I'm astounded at some Utube video clips of Hornet HUD views of 'time in the groove' and the short time before landing. I would gather that these guys are well experienced. There is some old Skyhawk amateur footage out there showing USN approaches to wooden deck carriers that are astoundingly short AND STEEP but on the ball.

Razgriz

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2009, 02:13:21 am »

I was, finally, able to install your HUD today and noticed that I had to edit the panel.cfg files for several additions.  Noticably, I needed to re-add (to the 2D/VC code) several custom gauge statement including the 3D Redux shockwave lights with this statement:-
gauge13=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_gear,  1,1,1,1 //shockwave light
I am also using the Clear glass textures.  Just wondering if there is any thing else that is missing from my install?  I hear from SOH that there were AB texture updates, wondered if anyone know where to get them or would be willing to PM them to me.  Finally, reading the above post...

...the autopilot cannot be used with the carrier ILS, because the ILS data available in the HUD is not available to the autopilot, unlike traditional land based ILS. Even if it was though, I don't think the generic FSX AP would be able to keep up with the moving carrier, especially if you start out at 3 miles. The real F/A-18 and other naval aircraft can receive signals from a system called Automatic Carrier Landing System (ACLS) which is based on the carrier. It sends pitch and roll commands to the aircraft flight control surfaces to keep the jet on glidepath. The pilot however should be ready to uncouple immediately if he senses that the system is not providing adequate signals and continue with a manual approach.
Has this been tried with a custom AP rather than the FSX Default?

Finally, it looks like and excellent update, will try it out now and let you know.  Thanks a bunch! ;)

EDIT:
Since these are both default carriers and not the Nimitz carrier, the frequency for the ILS/TACAN would be 111 MHz or TACAN channel 47X.

The Nimitz carrier you can get if you have Javier's Nimitz package and use the AICarriers utility and place the carrier wherever you want while in flight. The freq is 112MHz or TACAN channel 57X.
I didn't see this in your readme file; good to know.

PS: I would also like to add this to Mr. Dino Cattaneo's F-14D and T-45C; Any suggestions?

I have them on both the F-14D and T-45C.  Its just great.

This was used with the BETA hud, so some may be changed.  My full aircraft (from USNVT training program, located here) is uploaded as an attachment, and the panel.cfg is below:

// Panel Configuration file
// T-45C Goshawk
// Copyright (c) 1999-2005 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

[Window Titles]
Window00=Main panel
Window01=HUD Switches
Window02=GPS
Window03=MINIPANEL

VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=-1.000, 0.000, 0.000

//--------------------------------------------------------
[Window00]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=456,378
position=4
visible=1
ident=MAIN_PANEL
alpha_blend=0.95
window_size=0.6,0.65
window_pos=0.2,0.3

gauge00=FA18_HUD_VC!FA18_HUD, 100, 5, 256, 278, 4

[Window01]
file=FA18_HUD_VC/Switch_background.bmp
size_mm=175,438
window_size= 0.25, 0.79
position=0
visible=0
ident=HUD_Switches

gauge00=FA18_HUD_VC!Nav1CRS,  55,342,32,32
gauge01=FA18_HUD_VC!Nav2CRS,  55,382,32,32
gauge02=FA18_HUD_VC!GPS CRS,  55,298,32,32
gauge03=FA18_HUD_VC!Nav-GPS,  75,120,37,74
gauge04=FA18_HUD_VC!HUD Clock, 45,189,90,50
gauge05=FA18_HUD_VC!HUD Steering Switch,  68,229,37,74
gauge06=FA18_HUD_VC!HUD Reject Switch,  32,10,28,28
gauge07=FA18_HUD_VC!HUD Ladder Switch,  76,10,28,28
gauge08=FA18_HUD_VC!HUD Altitude Switch, 32,54,28,28
gauge09=FA18_HUD_VC!HUD Vector Switch,  76,53,28,28
gauge10=FA18_HUD_VC!HUD ILS Switch, 125,54,28,28
gauge11=FA18_HUD_VC!HUD Power Switch, 78,75,37,74
gauge12=FA18_HUD_VC!HUD Color Switch, 125,10,28,28

[Window02]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=456,378
position=8
visible=0
ident=GPS_PANEL
window_size= 0.500
no_luminous=1

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500,  0,0

[Window03]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=456,378
position=4
visible=1
ident=MINIPANEL
alpha_blend=0.95
window_size=0.6,0.65
window_pos=0.2,0.3

gauge00=fa-18!hud_2d, 32, 32, 456, 378, 4

[Vcockpit01]
Background_color=1,1,1
size_mm=512,512

visible=1
pixel_size=512,512
texture=$t45vc

;1 = left DDI
;2 = right DDI
;3 = center DDI

gauge00=FA18_HUD_VC!FA18_HUD_VC, 0,0,514,566, 4 NOSCANLINES

[Vcockpit02]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=512,512

visible=1
pixel_size=512,512
texture=$t45vc0

;1 = left DDI
;2 = right DDI
;3 = center DDI

gauge00=fa-18!MFD, 0,0,512,512, 1

[Vcockpit03]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=512,512

visible=1
pixel_size=512,512
texture=$t45vc3

;1 = left DDI
;2 = right DDI
;3 = center DDI

gauge01=fa-18!MFD, -10,-10,532,532, 2

[Vcockpit04]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=512,512

visible=1
pixel_size=512,512
texture=$t45vc2

;1 = left DDI
;2 = right DDI
;3 = center DDI

gauge00=fa-18!MFD, -10,-10,532,532, 3

[Vcockpit05]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=512,512

visible=1
pixel_size=512,512
texture=$t45vc5

gauge00=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Audio,        0,  0,512,50
gauge01=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Nav-Comm 1,   5, 50,512,94
gauge02=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Nav-Comm 2,   5, 144,482,83
gauge03=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio ADF,          0,226,512,90
//gauge04=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio DME,          0,180,512,41
//gauge05=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Xpndr,        0,217,512,49
//gauge06=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio AP,           0,262,512,48
windowsize_ratio=1.000
window_pos=0.756,0.358
window_size=0.243,0.641

[Color]
Day=255,255,255
Night=223,255,255
Luminous=246,115,119

[Default View]
X=0
Y=0
SIZE_X=8192
SIZE_Y=3200

Edit:

Download T-45C here.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 02:22:01 am by Razgriz »

SpazSinbad

« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2009, 03:05:29 am »
Razgriz, Thanks for the link to the Pensacola Fsim training website and your above tips. The web is an huge place now eh. One site that may be overlooked is worth a visit for the T-45C gouge (good knowledge):

CNATRA Pubs (T-45C) probably most useful section

http://www.airwarrior.net/Files.html

T-45C Carrier Qualifications PDF:  (1.7Mb)

http://www.airwarrior.net/Files_files/Carrier%20Qualifications.PDF

There is more about all aspects of operation of the Goshawk in USN at this website. Apart from the Essential Carrier Landing advice here is one aspect from the Instrument PDF:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 03:37:44 am by SpazSinbad »

JamesChams

« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2009, 03:25:37 am »

My first try with this and it worked extremely well on the Acceleration F/A-18; Good Job! 8)

I am working on that right now. As soon as I finish the tests, I'll get back with the correct numbers for the panel.cfg.
Thanks very much; its much appreciated!

Also, could you do the CaptainSim's XLoad F/A-18D & F-117A's as well?

PS: Thank you, Mr. "Razgriz"!  
Edit:

Download T-45C here.
Will try it out and let you know. :)

Mr. "SpazSinbad" & Mr. "Sludge,"
I like JamesChams idea: perhaps 'to put the new HUD on the freeware T-45C Goshawk' (and even the Tomcat) by Dino Cattaneo.
Thanks for supporting the idea. :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 03:36:12 am by JamesChams »
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

GOONIE

« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2009, 09:14:05 pm »
Thanks again Neutrino!  8)

OK, 3

"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2009, 09:28:21 pm »
Just a quick word to all the fellers out there...  especially Spaz.

Last night, I finally got back to basics and was flying "ok, 3" approaches again.  I had gotten away from using the ball and relying on the ICLS needles.  The funny thing is, other than helping you setup a good pattern and getting you in the ball park, you cannot follow the needles for a good landing.  Dont get me wrong, it has its place, especially for night traps and/or foul weather, but its also JUST to get you to the point where you see the ball and still fly the ball, indexer, and lineup for the final landing phase.

Also, I didnt realize but I was doing patterns WITH A TAILWIND all this time.  Some days I feel like a dolt.  I switched the 5 kt wind to the correct heading and sure enough, all my "timing" issues that Ive posted on the Carrier thread dissappeared.  I was back to flying tight carrier daytime patterns, getting setup right (ICLS needles and TACAN til the 45), then 3/4 final and in using the ball, indexer, and carrier lineup procedures.  Works everytime like clockwork!  Go figure.  Read the fine print, do what is written, and wha-la... it works.  Some days Im amazed I actually get around on planet earth without major accidents.

My point for this post is that athough this is a very great addition to the Hornet HUD, dont get carried away with it and understand its limitations and uses.  However, when on final (3/4 mile and in) or when visual on the meatball, switch back to the tried and true... ball, indexer, lineup for a 3 wire trap.

Take Care and good flying
Sludge

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2009, 12:56:42 am »
BTW, that pic is friggin fantastic, CAPT...

Its getting to the point that you almost have to know youre looking at a FSX pic to tell the difference!  Great job!

Intrepid

« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2009, 01:46:09 am »
BTW, that pic is friggin fantastic, CAPT...

Its getting to the point that you almost have to know youre looking at a FSX pic to tell the difference!  Great job!
I have to agree That is one sweet pic  8)
Randy

SpazSinbad

« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2009, 02:17:41 am »
Sludge, you make good points. Perhaps the excellent pic above shows the difference between what the IFLOLS is saying "slightly high by a smidgeon?" to what the needles? are sayiing at that point via the screenshot. Here if at half a mile one would be doing the visual DL as described by Sludge and not looking at anything but 'meatball, lineup and airspeed' (where youse all know that 'airspeed' is the AoA Indexer with the orange circle).

Anyway it is a simulator but all the great work by all on this forum has made it a much better simulator. Thanks again for the great work by all. Apparently at Penscacola 29 in screens are used for their FlightSim work. I want a giant wall mounted one (with a super computer). I guess a real Hornet second hand simulator would do?  ;D

Intrepid

« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2009, 01:25:39 pm »
I want a giant wall mounted one (with a super computer). I guess a real Hornet second hand simulator would do?  ;D

For the last three years, I have asked my wife for exactly that,, for x-mas
She just rolls her eyes  ::) ,,hmmmmm
Maybe this year? ;)
Randy