Author Topic: NEW Realistic HUD for the Hornet  (Read 112475 times)

neutrino

Re: NEW Realistic HUD for the Hornet
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2009, 09:00:09 pm »
Hi, guys, the beta testing is now over, the official version of the HUD is now available to download at:
http://www.simviation.com/simviation/?ID=67&page=4&mark=7181

I would like to thank:

-   Christian "Sludge" Snow
-   Sonofabeech
-   Wilycoyote4
-   Capthaltli

... for their support in the beta testing. You guys did a great job testing the HUD, as a result the HUD now has a 2D full screen option, a better looking switch panel, much easier install procedure, some tips for TrackIR users, and a couple of difficult to find, but important things were fixed, such as the altimeter thousands digit reading, the GPS nav data readout and the max-G readout!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 09:07:28 pm by neutrino »

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2009, 10:58:40 pm »
Congratulations on the release!

Well done you guys!
FSX Community Tweaks and Fixes at Voodoo's Hangar - voodoo.wikispaces.com

Orion

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2009, 05:08:00 am »
Congratulations on the release ;)!

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2009, 07:58:25 am »
Many thanks to the team. Have been away from FSX for a bit and I think I have installed the NEW HUD over the top of whatever is standard FSX Hornet (for the moment). Too many mods and not enough records about mods but I think I did a clean install in Vista some time ago. Have not got to the install in Windows7 yet for various reasons. Anyway that is all a long winded way of saying: "Followed the instructions and it works like a dream". Thanks to the alternate HUD DreamTeam! Catchy huh?  ;D

Specially liked the graphics in the package and the hints on how to use the new stuff. I need it.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

wilycoyote4

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2009, 08:33:33 am »
A little fun from beta testing.  Thanks to the team from me and esprcially J.R. for letting me be a beta tester.  Correct me if I've made a poor evalualtion, but I think this HUD project accomplished more than was planned at the start.  It grew. 

It's great to see the default Hornet continue to improve.

Intrepid

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2009, 05:21:12 pm »
Neurtino;
Thank you and your helpers for a great addition to the enjoyment of the F-18

Since I purchased the Acceleration pack (way Back on the first day of its release)
I have not been able to complete all the missions for the F-18
Your addition finally let me finish
Thanks again for all your work and for being generous enough to share it  :D
Randy 

Razgriz

« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2009, 08:35:46 pm »
I am curious how to get the ILS working.  Where do I need to place my Nimitz (and with what programs), and what is the ILS freq?

wilycoyote4

« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2009, 09:30:26 pm »
I am curious how to get the ILS working.  Where do I need to place my Nimitz (and with what programs), and what is the ILS freq?
The readme in the package has the data and instructions for frequencies and how the HUD displays the info.

AICarriers2 for placing carriers where you want them.  Javier's Nimitz version 2 for his package which includes AICarriers data for his carriers and fleets.

Use a downloaded AI route or make your own using a freeware program.  http://lc0277.nerim.net/boat/  These carriers move like AI aircraft, that is, on a schedule from one point to another and can have waypoints.

All freeware.

neutrino

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2009, 10:50:30 pm »
One way to get a carrier of course is to get into any of the default carrier missions such as the Carrier Practice mission. It is a good idea however to check the option "Enable changes in selected Mission (no rewards given)" at the bottom of the mission selection screen, and then once in the mission change the weather so that there is no such severe turbulence. Also, once in the mission, reduce your fuel to below 75%, so that you can approach at lower speeds.

Another way is to get a carrier in free flight. This is how to find the carrier near San Diego in free flight:
1) In display settings-> traffic move the slider "Ships and ferries" all the way to the right (100%).
2) Click FREE FLIGHT, choose July 1st, 2009 for date and 06:00 local time. Select North Island NAS (KNZY) for airport and runway 29. You can save the flight at this point if you want.
3) Once you take off from the runway turn left on course 270 and climb to 600 feet. After 30 seconds you will see the carrier ;)

Since these are both default carriers and not the Nimitz carrier, the frequency for the ILS/TACAN would be 111 MHz or TACAN channel 47X.

The Nimitz carrier you can get if you have Javier's Nimitz package and use the AICarriers utility and place the carrier wherever you want while in flight. The freq is 112MHz or TACAN channel 57X.

You can enter the frequency by pressing the TCN or ILS button on the Up-Front Control panel and then dial either 1-1-1-0-0-ENT or 4-7-X on the keypad. Either way will activate the ILS/TCN reception.

If you were already familiar with these methods, I apologize, I just wanted to list all methods.

J.R.

I am curious how to get the ILS working.  Where do I need to place my Nimitz (and with what programs), and what is the ILS freq?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 02:47:08 am by neutrino »

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2009, 02:12:28 am »
neutrino, thanks for the info/help. I think it is important to have on record these tips & hints to get things going. Some of us (me included) don't have the knowledge you have.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2009, 05:17:35 am »
Hey Fellers...

Also, to get the full ICLS needles AND TACAN steering arrow, make sure you click the HUD Control Panel Steering Cue to NAV1 after you dial in the TCN on the UFC as listed above.  It will auto setup the current nav1 as BRC.  This is important if you want to fly the racetrack correctly and hit your points (abeam, 90, 45, final 3/4) on-speed and at the right TACAN distances.

Later
Sludge

wallydog69

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2009, 06:05:27 am »
This is a great little add on.. is it possible to use the ILS with Autopilot. I can dial in the ILS to get my markers but can't seem to get the autopilot glide me in wher as I can get that function to work at airports.

neutrino

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2009, 01:35:06 pm »
Hi wallydog69, the autopilot cannot be used with the carrier ILS, because the ILS data available in the HUD is not available to the autopilot, unlike traditional land based ILS. Even if it was though, I don't think the generic FSX AP would be able to keep up with the moving carrier, especially if you start out at 3 miles. The real F/A-18 and other naval aircraft can receive signals from a system called Automatic Carrier Landing System (ACLS) which is based on the carrier. It sends pitch and roll commands to the aircraft flight control surfaces to keep the jet on glidepath. The pilot however should be ready to uncouple immediately if he senses that the system is not providing adequate signals and continue with a manual approach.

This is a great little add on.. is it possible to use the ILS with Autopilot. I can dial in the ILS to get my markers but can't seem to get the autopilot glide me in wher as I can get that function to work at airports.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 01:49:05 pm by neutrino »

JamesChams

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2009, 11:49:59 pm »
Mr. Jivko Rusev "neutrino,"

I was, finally, able to install your HUD today and noticed that I had to edit the panel.cfg files for several additions.  Noticably, I needed to re-add (to the 2D/VC code) several custom gauge statement including the 3D Redux shockwave lights with this statement:-
Code: [Select]
gauge13=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_gear,  1,1,1,1 //shockwave light
I am also using the Clear glass textures.  Just wondering if there is any thing else that is missing from my install?  I hear from SOH that there were AB texture updates, wondered if anyone know where to get them or would be willing to PM them to me.  Finally, reading the above post...

...the autopilot cannot be used with the carrier ILS, because the ILS data available in the HUD is not available to the autopilot, unlike traditional land based ILS. Even if it was though, I don't think the generic FSX AP would be able to keep up with the moving carrier, especially if you start out at 3 miles. The real F/A-18 and other naval aircraft can receive signals from a system called Automatic Carrier Landing System (ACLS) which is based on the carrier. It sends pitch and roll commands to the aircraft flight control surfaces to keep the jet on glidepath. The pilot however should be ready to uncouple immediately if he senses that the system is not providing adequate signals and continue with a manual approach.
Has this been tried with a custom AP rather than the FSX Default?

Finally, it looks like and excellent update, will try it out now and let you know.  Thanks a bunch! ;)

EDIT:
Since these are both default carriers and not the Nimitz carrier, the frequency for the ILS/TACAN would be 111 MHz or TACAN channel 47X.

The Nimitz carrier you can get if you have Javier's Nimitz package and use the AICarriers utility and place the carrier wherever you want while in flight. The freq is 112MHz or TACAN channel 57X.
I didn't see this in your readme file; good to know.

PS: I would also like to add this to Mr. Dino Cattaneo's F-14D and T-45C; Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:19:06 am by JamesChams »
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

SUBS17

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2009, 12:17:24 am »
Freaking AWESOME 8)
Great work guys.