Author Topic: Re-installation of GSX/GSX2  (Read 2132 times)

edwardpat

Re-installation of GSX/GSX2
« on: December 17, 2019, 03:26:41 am »
After a major breakdown of my sim desktop, I'm now trying to re-install GSX (and GSX2 too) from scratch.
Today Monday Dec. 16, the installation failed apparently due to a faulty .DLL module that required a Windows restart, according to what I read at the AVSIM forums (and to my surprise not here).
I posted the error message (couatl engine not started due to the A/V,..., etc... that of course was totally disabled, together with Windows Defender as well) I've got after the installation, when I was trying to register the Serial inside the Addon Manager in the simulator (P3Dv4.5hf2). Unfortunately that post was deleted without answering other important (to me at least) questions about the install procedure.
Before I try to re-install the whole thing again, I would like to get clarification about the install directory. During the previous installation of today (the one that failed), the FSDT installer asked to install the Addon Manager in C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager. There's any reason to change that directory or it's the preferred way of installation?.
Please understand I don't want to have trouble with the GSX/GSX2 setup process anymore, that's why I'm asking.
Thanks in advance.
Ed

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Re-installation of GSX/GSX2
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 03:56:48 am »
that of course was totally disabled, together with Windows Defender as well) I've got after the installation, when I was trying to register the Serial inside the Addon Manager in the simulator (P3Dv4.5hf2). Unfortunately that post was deleted without answering other important (to me at least) questions about the install procedure.

The post hasn't been deleted. Several users started to open new threads about the same, identical problem without checking if there was already a thread about it, and this made the forum unreadable so, all posts about the same problem have been merged into one.

During the previous installation of today (the one that failed), the FSDT installer asked to install the Addon Manager in C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager. There's any reason to change that directory or it's the preferred way of installation?.

Yes, it's the preferred way to install, and the only reason to choose a different one, is that you are low on space on the C: drive. Any other drive/folder combination will then work just fine. The worse possible choice, of course, would be installing "into" the simulator.