Author Topic: Back to FSX after 7 years - some confusion with GSX paintkit  (Read 1572 times)

Pooch

Back to FSX after 7 years - some confusion with GSX paintkit
« on: November 23, 2019, 05:08:53 pm »
Hallo, 
obviously there have been lots of changes / improvements in the past 7 years that I was away from FSX and I am now trying to understand them.
I have used the Live update to bring all my FSDT installation up-to-date ( which moved them now into the Addon Manager folder ), but I cannot find any manual or other documentation how to use the GSX Paintkit. I have read in the GSX Manual that it is discontinued for Prepar3D 4.4, but I have FSX Gold, so I suppose it is still there..
I still have several Mypaint-files ( exemple: FSDT_PassengerBus_MyPaint ) which I would like to use but where should I put them ? I remember that years ago they where under simobject\Misc in _User-folders. But in my actual Misc folder is none of the original files ( FSDT_PassengerBus ), but those are all in simobjects\Legacy.
Thanks, Peter
P.S. Live update installed also GSX2 - IMHO absolute ingenious ! 8)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Back to FSX after 7 years - some confusion with GSX paintkit
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 05:20:11 pm »
I'm sorry but, the PainKit has really been discontinued, because the way to create custom logo in P3D4 ( thanks to Render to Texture ), is so much easier, more efficient and flexible, that we had to get rid of the FSX PaintKit, becasue also due to the Live Update system, it would be very complex to keep the *USER* made logos updated together with the stock GSX objects.

The thing is, even if you manage to install your existing repaints, their SIM.CFG parameter will likely not work anymore with the current GSX, and the whole folder structure has changed, using a completely different way to indicate operators, even in FSX, so it would be really difficult and it will cause lots of issues if you tried to install them into the latest GSX.

Also, keep in mind we stopped doing active developement in FSX, and we announced that more than 2 years ago so, we keep FSX on strict "life support", even more so considering is going to have a whole new replacement from Microsoft in the next year.

So, as of today, if you really want to create new GSX repaints, you should use P3D 4.4 minimum.

Pooch

Re: Back to FSX after 7 years - some confusion with GSX paintkit
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 05:45:26 pm »
Grazie Umberto for this very quick reply.
For the time being I will remain with FSX. Maybe one day I will get a more potential new PC then I will consider to change simulator.
Ciao, Peter