Author Topic: Graphics Problem  (Read 14545 times)

skimmer

Graphics Problem
« on: October 11, 2009, 09:16:16 pm »
This is a problem I have been having and I wonder if anyone knows any solution or cause.I just had all my hardware tested and no problem with any. Texures stretch into sky and lights are bigger than they should be. Runway lights are off the ground and nav lights on planes are not in proper place.
Comp is up to date. Have FSX/Acc. Windows XP/Sp3. I'll give comp specs if anyones interested. This will happen even with ZERO addons installed. I know this is'nt Fstd related. I have done 100% uninstall of all sim products and reinstalled just FSX/Acc and still the problem is there. It sometimes will happen in first minute and sometimes takes 15 to 30 minutes.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
                                                                                Thankyou.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Graphics Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 10:15:26 pm »
It's surely related to the video card. If it doesn't go away with updated drivers, it might be due to overheating. Try to *underclock* the graphic card (using tweakers like nhancer or similar) and see if it goes away. If it does, maybe there's a problem with heat dissipation on your card.

skimmer

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 10:50:23 pm »
Okay Virtuali,I'll surely try that out. I have 2 , 4870x2 ATI cards and I think I can adjust clocking on the catalist control center. I installed 5 fans on case and there is fan on power supply and 1 fan on each card and I keep computer in open air. I think nhancer is for nvidia setup but if there is a simular I'll find it . I'll also make sure I have updated drivers.
                                                                                                        Thankyou much. :)

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 06:29:55 am »
Skimmer, I get that once in a while with my 8800GTS 512. In my case it could be due to drivers. For what ever reason my Asus Maximus Formula doesn't like nVidia drivers newer than the 169's. When I use newer drivers I have sound issues with my onboard SoundMax card.

I notice that on my system those black lines seem to only occure when I am getting FPS upwards of 60 to 70 FPS. In those cases, which are not especially common in FSX, if I lock the FPS to 28, the black lines disappear.

I get this once in a while flying the LDS 767 with ASA weather and switching views a lot, or accessing the FSX menu while in flight.

It is really annoying when it happens during a long flight and I have to start over. The reason is beyond me. The other night I flew from KFLL to SBGL Brazil, an 8 hour flight and no problems. Then the other day flying from KFLL to KDFW I got what you see in the screen shots above, after only 1 hour into the flight. It's things like this that drive me mad about computers and flight simming sometimes.

skimmer

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 06:05:00 pm »
WOW!!! Now that would be annoying. I posted this problem on the AMD manufactoring forum site and a moderater tells me FSX doesnt make use of crossfire or SLI tech. Why wasnt that posted on their advertising site? Anyway,he said to test cards one at a time and keep them cool.
I now know that one card was plenty and the processer is the muscle. Thanks for the input cmpbllsjc.

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 06:40:29 pm »
WOW!!! Now that would be annoying.

LOL, it is. Thankfully it doesn't happen often.

From what I have read over the years SLI or Crossfire can only be of use when using multiple monitors or running ultra high resolutions. I only run one card and one monitor so I never even considered either.

skimmer

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 02:02:48 am »
Well just a final note. Problem fixed. I've flown 4 flights 2.5 hours each and no problems even in densely wooded and buildings areas,flew both fast and slow aircraft with sliders to the right.
                                                                                    Thanks for input. ;D ;D

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 08:45:17 am »
Well just a final note. Problem fixed. I've flown 4 flights 2.5 hours each and no problems even in densely wooded and buildings areas,flew both fast and slow aircraft with sliders to the right.
                                                                                    Thanks for input. ;D ;D

What did you do to fix it?

Silverbird

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 03:25:14 pm »
I have gotten that strange error bug lol sometimes its drivers or like Umberto mentioned could be overheating or overclocked video card not sure if not having enougth power from the power supply would cause a strange error like that its wild looking isn't it lol skimmer how did you fix it lol ?
Cesar

New Jersey EWR

wideloadwhitford

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 04:12:04 pm »
Nice plane were can I download that new Boeing model?? lol
Windows 10 64bit
16GB DDR3
512SSD
nVidia 970GTX 4GB

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 05:05:57 pm »
Nice plane were can I download that new Boeing model?? lol

It the new VTOL 767 by Level D  :D ;D

wideloadwhitford

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 09:58:38 pm »
lol
Windows 10 64bit
16GB DDR3
512SSD
nVidia 970GTX 4GB

skimmer

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 05:57:15 pm »
I dont know which single thing or combo of things fixed it because I did more than one thing all at once. 1.Tested all hardware and found bad moduale on memory stick then replaced that. 2. Uninstalled all drivers for graphics cards and uninstalled flight sim and addons.3.Uninstalled duplicate C++ visual downloads I found in (add and remove programs).4.Removed my .net3.5,because it was installed as the boot strap only.5.Installed new .net 3.5   6.Installed new card drivers 7.Installed new FSX/acc. 8.Under clocked video card setting,only slightly.

Now,with no addons I flew for hours and the texure problem has not reoccured. ALLTHOUGH ,the runway lights still seem oversized and off the ground and the landing lights and ONLY the landing lights on aircraft are not in exact place when viewed from distance.( mostly visible from tower when doing flyby). So at this stage I will replace addons and see what happens.  Yippy kyy yaa!!  :D
 PS. C++ visual must be installed and different versions will be installed with Fsdt sceanery,which is ok.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 08:38:55 pm by skimmer »

skimmer

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 01:55:34 am »
You know,I forgot to include the most important step. when I reinstalled graphic card driver I did not go to the ATI web site for the latest dwnld I used the supplied cd I got in box when purchased. I had always used website before. Cmpbllsjc ,what about you? Or anyone. ;D

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 07:54:25 am »
You know,I forgot to include the most important step. when I reinstalled graphic card driver I did not go to the ATI web site for the latest dwnld I used the supplied cd I got in box when purchased. I had always used website before. Cmpbllsjc ,what about you? Or anyone. ;D

I finally got my problems fixed I am happy to say. I was reading a thread that is about 10 pages long on the PMDG forum at Avsim with people experiencing similar problems to what I was having.

On a whim I stopped my local Microcenter computer store on Sat and bought a Sound Blaster X-FI XtremeGamer sound card. It was only $100 so I though I would give it a try, plus if it didn't solve my problems I could always return it.

What a difference it has made.

Prior to the install I would sometimes getting wierd static sounds when ATC would speak, plus the graphics problem I posted a pic of above that would sometimes occur on flights with the LDS 767 after switching views many times or accessing the FSX menus during flight.

I am happy to say that as a test after installing the card I flew from KDFW to Imaginsim KATL, KATL to the stock KJFK, KJFK to FSDT KFLL, then KFLL to the stock KLAX. During the flights I switched views many times, accessed the FSX menu, paused the sim, even minimized it a few times, and was unable to crash the sim or get the graphics or sound problems.

On top of that, I have gained a little more performance. Prior I would get about 16 to 18 FPS going into the stock KJFX or KLAX with all FSX settings maxed except 60% AI and no bloom or lens flare and the FSX weather setting of Building Storms. Now flying into the same two hubs I am getting no less than 20 FPS but more like 25 FPS consistant. A pretty big improvement. So I am guessing that the onboard SoundMAx audio that came with my mobo was causing me not only sound problems but performance problems as well.

I am really happy and its almost like getting a new sim. I just wish that i had done this a year ago instead of suffering with those occasional problems. It wasn't that bad prior, but was a pain in the butt when I would be 30 min from arrival after flying a few hours to have the VC textures disappear or the sim lock up after switching views.

Then only thing I have yet to try is upgrading drivers from the nVidia 169.21's to newer ones. In the past, any driver newer than the 169's would cause me even more sound problems, but visual performance would be better. The sound problems were to bad to keep newer drivers so I would always go back to the old ones. I am guessing I will try new ones this week, however the sim is working so well that I am scared to try, although I can always go back if problems occcur again.

Edit: Forgot to add that I haven't gotten those autogen spikes again either so that is another added bonus. A lot of people had suggested that those were from only having 2gb of RAM and a 512 video card, but it appears that it was the sound card problem that was contributing the whole time to my problems.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 07:57:04 am by cmpbllsjc »