Author Topic: Stutters and high CPU usage at BGTL (high latitude problem?)  (Read 1948 times)

bryn

Stutters and high CPU usage at BGTL (high latitude problem?)
« on: November 07, 2019, 11:36:55 am »
Hi,

Parked at BGTL, I loaded up GSX and noticed all the equipment was stuttering - pausing every second. I checked the resource usage, and couatl was using more CPU (10%) than P3D4.5 (6%). I moved the aircraft to KMIA, the stuttering stopped and everything started working normally again. I moved the aircraft back to BGTL and removed my custom AFD and the stuttering continued again. A little further north to default BGQQ and the high CPU usage continued. A little further south to BGSF, and it stopped.

Does GSX have a problem with high latitudes and/or large magnetic deviations?

Bryn.

bryn

Re: Stutters and high CPU usage at BGTL (high latitude problem?)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 01:56:22 pm »
Just a bit more info. I flew from BGTL to BGSF and the high CPU usage stopped somewhere between 72 and 70 degrees north.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Stutters and high CPU usage at BGTL (high latitude problem?)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 03:52:38 pm »
I checked this at BGTL, and I cannot reproduce it.

I'm using all default scenery with a default airplane so, normally, GSX won't even be able to use this airport, since the default AFCAD has no parkings, so you cannot even call GSX and should see a warning about this.

However, I couldn't see any stuttering, fps was very high ( more than 130-140 fps ) and CPU usage was normal, Prepar3d.exe is about 30% and Couatl.exe was about 7%

couatl was using more CPU (10%) than P3D4.5 (6%)

This is not normal, and unheard of, and regardless of GSX, the simulator should use MORE CPU, 6% is way too low.

In fact, this might very well be the cause of GSX stuttering. The way Simconnect works ( with all add-ons ) is the simulator ITSELF is acting as a master "metronome" for all the add-ons, and it's supposed to send notifications to each ones every frame, or second, or in other kind of events. But since in your case it was taking so few CPU cycles, it's possible it's not sending out all the notifications it's supposed to, and that what's causing stuttering, since GSX is waiting for the simulator clock to update its animations.

Are you running with a custom AffinityMask ? If yes, try to remove it.

If you are using Hyper-threading in the BIOS, turn it off, because it usually improves smoothness in P3D4.